Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

The stripes look good, and almost Ghost into the body color. I like it. Something else I just noticed thanks to the stripes; it looks to be a 'Cobra R' style hood (1995 style, not the 93 Cobra R). Did you make that yourself? Looks good on the FOX.

Yeah, more of a 95 style, the cobra r hood is scratchbuilt with sheet styrene glued in place then the edges are filled with putty and a couple hours of shaping with sand paper then covered in filler primer. then sanded again before the base coat went down. Thanks for the compliments.

This thread has me seriously considering blowing the dust off my old Revell Lincoln Mk VII kit. I've been doing some test fitting to stuff a stock (or at least closer to stock) chassis underneath it, and thats where a big, hairy 'if' pops up...

The car obviously had a Fox platform under it when new, but the platform I'm using is actually a '97 Mustang, meaning its an SN95 chassis under the '90 Lincoln body. So would this project fit in here? I know the SN95 was technically a modified Fox, but NOT a Fox (hence the SN95 designation), so would that rule it out? Or would the fact that the body was only available from the factory with a Fox platform (remember- the MkVIII came out three years after the T-Bird and Cougar went to the MN12 platform) override that?

Yes it would, Chuck. Considering that the Lincoln rode on a longer FOX chassis, and the 1994-2004 Mustangs are longer/wider FOX chassis, it fits! Besides, it was designed and build from Ford as a FOX, so it fits from that standpoint. Whenever you are ready, we will be here!

Oh I can't WAIT to see that Lincoln! I always like those. There's one that sits about 2 miles from here,looks clean (looks good too,all 'cept for the chessy-cheap chrome modular wheels he's sporting inside those 14" cheap whitewalls...),bring it on!

Edited by Olskoolrodder

IMG_62441-vi.jpg

Chuck, it's not so much the size of the wheel wells, which are about right, but that Revell shortened the MK VII body and wheel base to work on the T-Bird pro street chassis. Note the extra space between the door and rear wheel well.

4499260157_large.jpg

I've always liked the MK VII LSC, and I've thought about doing one for a long time now. But two kits would be best to lengthen the wheel base and the body in the trunk area.

-MJS

That might create the illusion of too-large wheel openings.

Not sure if I want to stretch the body, or use a second kit (I paid quite a bit for this one! :lol: ) Considering that the Mustang chassis will need to be stretched to work, I'd like to keep the 'cutting and lengthening' to a minimum on this particular project.

Yep, I always miss out on the screamin' deals. :lol: I paid about twice those figures for this, which I still consider pretty good compared to what I've seen other guys pay for them!

Sorry for the bad pics- I snapped these on the kitchen counter at 1:30 in the morning!

Here is about all I will be using from the LSC kit-

1-vi.jpg

Actually, the kit floorpan will likely be replaced, as well. The LSC kit was an 'extreme' pro streeter with only a partial interior. Think of a full-blown Pro Stock drag machine with a somewhat more plush interior and that's basically a description of how this kit comes equipped. Not sure how I'll tackle the interior tub, I guess I'll burn that bridge when I get to it!

The '97 donor parts-

3-vi.jpg

Standard Fox/SN95 dirty parts via Monogram here. I am toying with the idea of slipping a Cobra IRS under it (I have seen it done on 1:1 Fox and SN95 Mustangs), but the good old 8.8 will make do for all but the most extreme of applications, so I might be good leaving it alone. For power, I haven't decided on a good old 5.0 or going nuts and stuffing something like a Paxton-huffed four cam Mod motor in there, again, as the project progresses, I'll determine what best fits the theme.

And a test fit-

3-vi.jpg

Note how eerie it is... the similarity in length between Revell's modified kit body and the stone-stock Mustang rockers! That area will stay as is. In this pic, the rear axle would be centered in the wheel opening, so I will need to stretch the floor between the axle and fuel tank to compensate. The front subframe will also need some material added, roughly 5 scale inches to center the front tires. Not sure if I will recycle the Mustang's inner fenders for this or make my own Never did care for the way Monogram molded everything in place on its Fox/SN95 kits underhood, much less accounting for differences between a '90 MkVII and a '97 Cobra.

Since I don't plan for a factory stock build style anyway, some of these little hiccups can pass. I'm thinking more along the lines of a mild pro-tourer, or perhaps a Ford development mule that somehow ended up evading the crusher and getting into private hands.

Whatever this thing ends up being, it'll be fun! B)

I don't think it's possible, given the dimensions of the body and the lack of stock Lincoln interior pieces (rear inner quarters, seat, console, etc.) and lack of any reasonable surrogates for said in scale. Well, I don't think its possible without a LOT of work. I'd love to see someone do a VII transkit- a corrected body, non-scooped hood, and stock chassis plate. Engineer it so you can plug in the suspension and drivetrain from an existing kit and you'd be golden. Not gonna hold my breath on that though! :lol:

Hey Chuck, glad to see you got her dug out! I told you the SN95 chassis would be a good donor for this car, as they were similar in length in the real cars. Good to see it here and look forward to seeing what you do with it!

I have two of these kits, one I am attempting to convert back into a semi-stock configuration and the other...........................................well, let's just say it has some fuelish issues it has to work out!