Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Wow, thanks for the comments everyone! :blink::D

That orange one is the MC Laren Mustang, that's only thing I know about it. That other one is pretty simple kit, engine bay detail is.... Bad. And I wont be using that part. It could be MPC, but I'm not sure. The information about Fox Mustang kits is great in this topic, needs to say. I try to do that bodywork as nicely as I can, doesn't matter if it takes three months or two years. I want to restore that Outlaw body, because of its history. Without that, I don't know, what I could have done to it. :P

Take all the time you need, Niko. We aren't going anywhere soon (I hope!).

The dark body is an MPC kit, and for their time, the body proportions were great. they really lacked in the interior/chassis detail department to say the VERY least. However, their 2.3L 4cyl engine wasn't bad. a lot of guys (me included) will grab the chassis from later (1994-98) Mustang GTs/Cobras in 1/25th scale from either AMT or Revell/Monogram to cut down to fit these bodies. Doing that yields a much better chassis/engine bay. The interior just has to have a butt-load of scratchbuilding done to make it resemble what it should be.

Thanks for the info, Bradley. I'll take my time, don't worry about that. :lol: I have only that body and engine bay of that MPC kit. It'll be with tube frame, I believe. Or if I can find good chassis for it, I might use that one as a basis. Interior is going to be simple. Aluminium and only few important cauges. Now I'm going to get back to the bench, maybe later today there's coming update, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Starting to look like a Lincoln, Chuck! If you are looking for a suitable engine bay, the 1/24th Monogram Thunderbird TurboCoupe has a great one, and it is already the correct length to go into the Lincoln. I hit that site up when I wired the 3G alternator into my 91GT Mustang; great site for reference and tech for the car!

I passed on a 1:1 Bill Blass MkVII shortly after I sold my Turbo Coupe. I remember it had a hideous canvas faux convertible roof, and it was a little old lady car with suspiciously low miles... as in, the miles were so low I was suspicious of the engine being full of sludge due to never being driven.

I'm a bit of a VII junky

two of the 3 I've owned.

DSC_1052.jpg

at a car show with my friend.

3-4.jpg

sitting pretty, I'm not big on gloss

a89b98a1.jpg

the old Mark, gettin it.

DSC_0624.jpg

Great looking satin black car. I had a satin black '86 Fox, sadly only a 2.3 :( . Sold it & bought a GT, that I keep thinking about giving a satin black paint job B)

Just popped in to check in with you guys...I don't have a FOX on the bench right now...or other Stangs to post in any of the other build threads! All looking good!

I fit a T-Bird Turbo chassis under the Mark VII body to build a sketch pad car...Just basically did a chassis/body swap with the two kits. The wheels on the VII are pinwheels from the Cougar XR-7.

T-BirdMarkVII003.jpg

T-BirdMarkVII001.jpg

T-BirdMarkVII002.jpg

Sorry for the pics...taken late one night at my computer desk! :)

Edited by Tony T

I had to narrow the tub. I cut the very top edges where the tub meets the tops of the doors...you can see it in the first picture. I had to narrow the chassis by about 1/8 inch on each side and shorten it a touch at the rear.

Edited by Tony T

• 3 weeks later...

I bought two air cleaners, and I'll be using other one for that C/Street Mustang project. Those are resin, of course. I will continue these soon, I just have too many projects going at the same time, and still trying to finish something for 2011.

PC160115.jpg

PC160116.jpg

Any ideas on how I fix this?

The rear quarters appear to be pushed up...

100_3205.jpg

The right side appears pushed in....

100_3204.jpg

the front fender pushed UP and in...

100_3207.jpg

The trunk lid bows down in the middle...

100_3209.jpg

And NO your eyes do NOT deceive you the body REALLY IS 3x thicker then it should be.

Is it a lost cause? What would you guys do?