Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

The cobra side skirts dont flare out enough in the corners.

2012-02-19_16-23-27_570.jpg

The Saleen sideskirts really make the car look low and wide, almost like it has fender flares. I have begun to add them with styrene strip.

2012-02-26_15-46-12_13.jpg

I will fill in the pockets with body filler and smooth it out.

2012-02-26_15-46-33_469.jpg

Sorry the pics suck, I need a better background to take pics and a coat of primer on everything to make it easier to see.

2012-02-26_15-41-32_518.jpg

All I have for now, hopefully more progress soon. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

2012-02-26_15-49-55_829.jpg

Edited by sln583

Just being honest, Jason. :)

Mike, you are doing much the same as I in converting a Cobra to a Saleen. I cut the rear bumper off below the belt line and grafted on an LX/GT piece from a wrecked 83-84 GLX vert kit, and added the side strakes and vents to the lower bumper. Mine is not 100% correct, but looks the part. Same with the side fairings, I modified them very similarly to yours. The front bumper is where I am straying from your style vastly. Yours looks very good so far, and I hope my method produces similar results. I am hybridizing the GT/Cobra lower with some SVO components and heavy modification/blending. I am unsure how it will come out, but one of these days I will have to get back to it. I am also modifying the convertible Saleen trunk spoiler to fit the hatch, ann adding the HCMSL to it. As for LX tails; like Jason I am making my own patterns based on existing dimensions and will try to cast several copies in clear resin (in case I screw up with a set). The body molding has been changed by adding just a very thin filler strip to convert it to more of an LX looking trim (again, not 100% correct). I will be shooting it in Non-Saleen colors, as I cannot see shooting real Saleen on a 'Faleen'. I am shooting it Emerald Green Metallic with the Tan/Black interior.

Thanks Stephen

I would love to see some pics off the progress you have made on your Saleen Bradley. I know what its like to lose interest in a project, this thing has sat in the box for years. Salen actualy converted a few 1990 7up convertables, so I know that emerald green will look nice, the tan interior will compliment the green better than the white leather IMHO. How Did you modify the vert saleen wing? is it the angle thats wrong? I know it doesnt look right, but I cant put my finger on why. Im working modifying the cobra taillights into LX ones. Its a pity someone doesnt sell them.

Mike,

Have you checked your exhaust cut outs, against the exhaust you'll be using? If the exhaust fits....

I probably wouldn't worry too much. It looks great, and it's coming along quite nicely.

The convertible LX started life as a Lowrider Mustang GT. (Probably my second oldest LX project, but the first completed.)

I made the tailights and rear spoiler from scratch. (As well as the front bumper cover.) I was hoping to have them resin cast, but no one seems interested.

I am unsure as to whether it's the subject, the maker, or the compitition that keeps the resin casters away. (Maybe a combination?)

You got me wondering about the exhaust Jason. It does fit in those openings. Years ago that must have been my reasoning for putting the exhaust openings there.

Its a shame nobody wanted to cast that stuff.

Added some body filler

photobucket-4121-1330624854855.jpg

Needs more filling and smoothing

Edited by sln583

Thanks Roy

If I wasn't trying to replicate my own car, I doubt I would put out this much effort.

Made some progress,

2012-03-05_18-24-21_889.jpg

2012-03-05_18-20-18_764.jpg

2012-03-05_18-23-12_865.jpg

2012-03-05_18-23-56_40.jpg

Still needs some more filling and sanding. Do the openings in the airdam look too tall?

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

And the restore continues...

P3170277.jpg

...So I cut that old version of top away, since I found one top which was pretty close on original Fox Mustang top. That is now glued, but it needs still some styrene before it fits correctly.

P3170279.jpg

P3170280.jpg

P3170281.jpg

P3170283.jpg

I built one Cowl Induction Scoop for that blue Outlaw Mustang, it's made from styrene, but I'm not sure if it needs a hole if engine don't fit in.... And front spoiler is made from styrene too, also added some two part bondo on that, some sanding and then it'll look much smoother...

P3170314.jpg

P3170315.jpg

P3170316.jpg

P3170317.jpg

I did some work for the C/Street Mustang's engine too. I glued that Pro Charger on its place, and I built that tubing for the air cleaner from 3mm solder. Spark plug wires are also installed and all of the Pro Charger tubings etc. are on their places. Belt pullies are from other kit, and the belt is made from paper.

P3170302.jpg

P3170303.jpg

P3170306.jpg

P3170307.jpg

New frame crossmember for the C/Street Mustang is from X-Frame Chevrolet's frame, which was in very bad condition. I had to narrow it a bit and also I made it bit lower, and with some styrene I managed to glue it on. Some putty for finishing, and it's pretty good now.

P3260393.jpg

P3260395.jpg

Engine fits nicely on its place now, but it will be bit higher from the front when I make new engine brackets.

P3260389.jpg

P3260390.jpg

P3260391.jpg

• 3 weeks later...