Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Also got the headlights (bulbs anyway) situated in their buckets.

016-2.jpg, 017-4.jpg

Yes, the pins will be cut down, but only after they are chucked in my dremel and polished/tinted with white paint to simulate headlight bulbs/filiments.

Looking good, Bradley! Glad to see someone is getting some work don on this thread.... :D ...because I'm not. I need to decide which project I'm going to concentrate on, and go with it. I'd had modeling ADD lately, and have been doing just a little bit to several things, mostly sanding tires and mold lines.

I know the feeling Eric; I have been working on this one, a 1937 Ford truck, a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, and even a little more on my Kenworth. I even dug out the AE86 Levin I had started ans stripped the hood back to bare plastic..........and all of this was just in the last 3 days!

Looking good, Bradley! Glad to see someone is getting some work don on this thread.... B) ...because I'm not. I need to decide which project I'm going to concentrate on, and go with it. I'd had modeling ADD lately, and have been doing just a little bit to several things, mostly sanding tires and mold lines.

I know the feeling Eric; I have been working on this one, a 1937 Ford truck, a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, and even a little more on my Kenworth. I even dug out the AE86 Levin I had started ans stripped the hood back to bare plastic..........and all of this was just in the last 3 days!

I know the feeling too, Eric. I have three builds going on like Bradley, my T-bird for this one, a highly custom Ford tractor trailer, and a 1998 Pontiac Trans Am, all for community builds, two of which are on the "other" site. Of course, since I have to spray paint outside, the weather has been playing with me, too. It's either not been warm enough, too windy, or raining! The one nice day I had last week, my 1:1 decided that would be a nice day to replace it's gremlin possessed power steering pump. Believe me, an almost 6,000 pound 1990 Ford F350 4x4 is NOT fun to drive when it suddenly wants to steer itself!!Since the weather is FINALLY nice and I don't have to work on the real truck, maybe I can have an update by the end of the weekend, off to the model cave I go!!!

Mike; glad you can use the body, and the Green paint was automotive paint (I believe yellow-can Easy-Off oven cleaner will remove it). My own GT conversion is waiting in the wings for me to finish up some other projects and for some other parts to show up.

Jason, the Coupe is looking good and coming along nicely. What color is it going to be?

I have nothing really to add to my own build, as I have been in Columbus for my weekend and have got nothing done on any of my builds!

The hardest part of making the center console automatic selector would be the gear selector base (as it is grooved for the shifter stalk and has the clear gear indicator). Not oo hard though; I would imagine some .020" styrene and some crafting could get you a feasable unit.

Eric, you are partly correct. The 1981 'Wild Breed' kit was to be the 1982 GT, but Ford had not settled on the GT nameplate when the kit was prototyped. One of the pics from Ford that MPC used for the mock-up and test shots carried the SS badge, and even though the real car became the GT, it was too late to correct the model.

Speaking of, has anybody gotton anywhere with their started builds lately? No? Well, me either; but this weekend is looking good. Pics to come.

vvv Mark and I must have been typing at the same time!! vvv

Edited by whale392

I guess I should try casting a copy of the 5.0 badge on the 89 'vert body with foil and CA glue, or I may have to go after the photoetched detail set that has the 5.0 badges...

And then there's the annoying fact that the MPC kits expect everyone to use side pipes with the V8... So I'll need to build a Y pipe to use with the 4 cylinder's stock exhaust, or upgrade to duals with the 87/88 exhaust.

Anybody have any idea why the MPC "Wild Breed" '81 Cobra has a badge molded in on the side of the body that says "SS"...??

Just got this one in from eBay. I think it'll end up being an '82 GT.

I always though it was to compete with the infamous Camaro Cobra! B)

Well, after being in Columbus this weekend, my plans were changed for me by my cats. That nice scratchbuilt/kit modified K-Member I had going on..........it is now in two pieces with bite marks all throughout it. One of the lower control arms for the rear is MIA as well. Talk about being MAD!!! So, I have decided to go back to the crappy kit parts and save the complete scratchbuilding for a more suited project (a model of my 1991GT). The only things I will scratch on this one now are the modified ride height and I will make the V6/auto combo for this one now. I love my cats, but sometimes I think I would be better off without pets.

I have found with my "kids" of the furry kind, a squirt bottle can be very helpful. They all know that Daddy's model desk is off limits, and they learned at a very early age. All that you need to do is fill the squirt bottle with water, and if you reuse a bottle, say like a Windex bottle, make sure it is cleaned of the former liquids, then when the "kids" are where they do not belong, give them a couple squirts of water on the top of their heads. That is why any reused bottle needs to be completely clean, so if the water happens to get in their eyes, it will not hurt them. The squirt on the top of the head will be an unpleasant feeling to them, since we all know cats hate water, and they associate the unpleasantness with where they are not supposed to be, therefor they will stay off the desk or model area. I used this technique on all four of my kids, and none get on my desk, and when I was training them, I also either yelled "HEY" or their names in a stern voice when they got the squirt. They still all come back to the desk when I'm there, and one even sleeps on my chair sometimes, but nowadays, if any have a slight lapse and puts a paw on the desk, all I have to do is yell "HEY" and they know they do not belong there. I just wish I could train their hair to stay out of my paint jobs as easily!! :lol:

My fuzzy children are OK.........................when I am here! Dad leaves though, and all particular heck breaks loose. My oldest is 4, next is 3, and the youngest just turned 1; guess who starts the trouble? :P

I know!!! I know!! The 1 year old! :P My oldest is almost 10, and the three youngest (two boys and a girl all from the same litter) are almost 4. Guess who was my biggest troublemaker? :P I'll give you a hint, she has two brothers!! :lol:

HPIM1919.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not a whole lot to report on my 1983 GLX vert build.

I did get the GT side skirts grafted to my 93 Cobra kit, the doors and hatch opened on the Cobra, an AMT 1/25th scale Mustang GT rear decklid spoiler enlarged to fit the 1/24th size of the Cobra, and most of the trim lines scribed. The wheels I will have to narrow and reposition the lip for the fronts and for the rears I will have to reposition the lip. I also chopped and tucked the Cobra rear bumper corners to make it look more like a real Cobra bumper versus the kit junk out-of-proportion unit. I am building this to be a model of my 1:1 1991GT as I want it to be when 'finished'. I will have to build the Explorer/Mountaineer/GT40 upper and lower intake, as none exists in 1/24th scale. Hood vents will have to be integrated into the build (I have Z34 Beretta/Corsica units [Lumina units; thanks for the correction Mike!] going into my real hood). Long tube headers are also in that mix, electric fan conversion, 3G alternator, and a Watts Link/Tri-Link rear suspension set-up. Stay tuned, as the camera has a fresh battery charge and I am actually thinking of taking some pics.

Edited by whale392