Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

It is very similar Eric, but not exact. the wing forward mounts extend and curve up slightly to match the upper wings legs versus stopping smoothly and rounded at their ends. This could easily be duplicated in scale (if an acurate late 84-86/87-93LX spoiler existed). The late 84 and 85 had no CHMSL, the 86 had the CHMSL, and the 87-93LX had a slightly different shaped/sized CHMSL. I have an 88 Hatch spoiler in the garage next to my second 86 SVO spoiler lower. If I can remember and get to them through all the other FOX parts, I will take some pics and post them in the 1:1 reference section.

It's VERY simple to correct the shape of the spoiler. All you need is masking tape, and a half round file. Mask off the fenders, and anything you don't wish to sand, and file away. It shouldn't take more then about ten minutes? to cut down the rear spoiler.

100_1046.jpg

To Make the 3rd brake light. (SO much easier to say isn't it? biggrin.gif ) Find a picture of the appropriate light, as straight on, as you can find. Adjust to apropriate size. Cut out picture, and white glue, to a piece of your favorite tape. Apply to the body in the appropriate spot. Take the back of a blade and carefully etch the outline, into the spoiler. Voila!

In the case of the 1986 SVO, it appears that there is actually a raised portion around the brake light... I'd apply the "decal" to some strip styrene, trim around the light, and make the 3rd light "ring", which could then be applied to the spoiler. (This is NOT a good picture to use, and only used for reference. Notice, that you can see the left mirror, but not the right? it is NOT straight on.)

1986_Ford_MustangSVO_rear.jpg

That fixed spoiler looks good Jason. Exactly what I will do to the SVO kit I have.

Ok, update time.......the GLX body is in paint (no pics at the moment), and the GT conversion is going slowly. But I do have some pics of that to share!

Making the GT sideskirts fit the Cobra requires some surgery. I cut away the lower skirts from a lowrider convertible kit, dressed the front taper down, smoothed the Cobra body back to LX profile, added a strip of half-round to the very lower edge of the Cobra body, cut a bend notch in the GT front taper, and glued it to the Cobra body.

001-3.jpg, 002-3.jpg

Why go through all this trouble when I could just cut the Cobra below the beltline, cut the GT below the beltline, and swap lowers? Because the Cobra is actually taller below the beltline than the GT is, and the GT is too short scale-wise by my measurements of my real car. Good thing is, the Cobra and the GT share very similar door profiles, so the GT skirts will at least clear the Cobra doors. I will have to fill in the taper cut and the space between the side tapers and the body molding, but that is no big deal. I will have to make new rear spats for the GT skirts, but again no big deal. Also by doing it this way, it gives the proper effect of the GT side skirts being added on versus the molded-in look they have right now.

My car will be sporting the Cobra rear bumper cover, so I left that in place, but modified it to represent an accurate unit versus the inaccurate molded kit supplied piece. I did this by cutting a pie-sectioned piece vertically at the bumper wrap and re-gluing it. I also opened up the tailpipe notches as they were half-filled with flash.

003-3.jpg

Being as NO 87-93 GT Hatch spoiler exists in 1/24th scale, I took an AMT 1/25th scale unit, widened it by .100" and test fit it. The wing feet will be heightened with .010" styrene and the wing deck will also be depth-enhanced by .010" to make it correct for 1/24th scale. I will also be making the correct 3rd brake light from scrap clear red sprue material.

004-3.jpg, 005-3.jpg

I also cut the doors open as I will be going full-detail interior wise with this kit. The hatch has also been opened for the same reasons. I used a few #11 blade backsides for this, not to mention some blood and missing fingerprints!

006-2.jpg, 017-6.jpg

More to come in the next installment, as I am pushing the file size with just these pics.

Ok, so what's next? I hope I am not boring you guys with this stuff. If I am, let me know and I will stop. Well, sinse the GT and the Cobra kit both use the same front-end architecture (kit-build wise), it is dead easy to swap the GT nose to the Cobra body. Not saying either is 100% accurate, as they aren't. I opened the front lower grill vents, am opening the front spats, corrected the sharp lower corners to proper smooth tapering corners, have re-contoured the body side molding recesses to be accurate (I have yet to add the styrene back into the molding area to represent the nose cap/front fender extension joint), and have added the correct nose cap/fender seperation lines to the nose. Also, I have drilled the headlight and parking light housings for bulbs.

007-2.jpg, 008-2.jpg, 009-2.jpg

Subframe connectors and Matrix braces/Jacking rails are under my FOX right now, so I had to add them to the model as well. strip styrene in the .080"x.125" variety was used for the subframes, and the Matrix Bracing/Jacking rails is .040"x.040" styrene stock. I have yet to add the seat rail reinforcements and the front convertible angle braces from the rails to the subframes, but they are being added. The seatrail reinforcements are .125" styrene channel.

018-6.jpg, 019-6.jpg, 020-6.jpg,

021-5.jpg

The engine bay and front framerails are horribly inaccurate, so I cut the engine bay free and will be going at it with various thicknesses of styrene (mostly .010" and .020", along with making the front frame rails and radiator core support.

015-4.jpg

Once again, more in the next installment.

Now just some miscellanious stuff. I will be using an 84-86GT three-spoke non-cruise wheel in my 91GT, so an SVO wheel will be used for this build.

014-4.jpg

I also have the 83-86 GT Halo headrests in the 91, so the 83 GLX vert gave its Halos for this project (as my real GLX has the low-back sport seats and large headrests......swap the headrests and both projects are happy! I also am cutting the seats to have posable knee bolsters and all articulation of the rear seats.

016-4.jpg

I am using a lot of the Tamiya 1/24th scale 1995 CobraR pieces in this build, like the K-Member, entire front suspension and brakes, rear housing and brake detail, 3 point underhood brace, and other goodies to enhance the FOX model to be more realistic. Also, the oil pan will be used to correct the single-sump Revell junk to the proper double-sump unit.

013-3.jpg, 011-2.jpg

I am adding Z34 Lumina hood vents to my real car, so I might as well add them in scale as well! I am using Plastruct handrail material (I think N Scale.....might be HO) to represent the venting with two more vent gills added to each piece by adding .010" strip in between the existing vents.

012-2.jpg

That's it for tonight. I hope I didn't bore you and hope i might just have inspired some of you; God knows I need inspiration and motivation in droves!

I fogot the wheels! Talk about retarded! These are Jada 1/32nd scale wheels cut down to fit into Pegasus 19" stepped sleeves (thanks scaledreams!). Believe me, these die-cast wheels (even though they are plastic) took some love with my drill and collet/razor to get turned down. I did not like the way they turned out, so the paint is stripped and I am going back and re-shaping some of the spokes. They had 3 bar spinners cast in, and that made for a nightmare to get the wheel spoke indents correctly shaped (part of what I am unhappy with). I will have pics up when I am happy with the results, but here is a shot of the first try....they are Shelby-style wheels. My 1:1 is going to be wearing 18"x8.5" fronts and 18"x10" rears; polished outer lips with the high spokes Satin Silver and the low spokes Magnesium. Center caps will be flush mount with a Chrome lip/Black Center/Chrome SVT lettering.

010-2.jpg

Mark, is that BMF?

No, I took a Ford SVO sticker and used a hobby knife to cut out the "Ford" script, and then applied it as a mask to the brake light. With the script masked, I simply painted the rest of the light housing black and removed the mask. Got quite a few comments at the track - I'm not sure if Chris kept the light in the car after he bought it. But he should have! :unsure:

009-2.jpg

Bradley, what do you use for the light bulbs? I like that a lot! By the way, I've not forgotten about this, I just haven't been working on much of anything here lately.

Jason: in what respect do you mean address the door issue? It is the door from the Cobra kit cut from the car it will be used on. I am adding the proper window dew wipe molding and the door turn-up under the mirror location. I will be shaving the door edges back down thin to simulate the proper thickness of metal, and will be adding the inner door panel/structure as on my 1:1. I am trying to get the inner lower cowl area constructed right now, so that I can start on making correctly functioning hinges (thanks in part to Aftashox tutorial). The front fender lip will also be shaved to represent proper thickness sheetmetal and have its mounting tabs/bolt detail added. I have scored the belt molding to give it a seperate piece look as well, and subtle paint detailing will bring that to life (I hope :D ).

Matt: the headlight bulbs are just seamstress/dressmakers pins that I will be cutting to length, polishing, adding appropriate color (amber to the inner turn signal bulb), and gluing into drilled holes in the buckets. The buckets themselves will be treated to a coat of Spaz-Stix chrome and have the seperations added with thin black lines. I have already cut a set of the headlight glass apart (to form the 3 seperate lenses) and have made the vynil seal around the headlight with some .010" stock painted Black. The outer surfaces of the lenses have been polished and the corner marker has had cigarette package foil (tinted with Tamiya Transparent Orange) added to its rear corner to simulate the reflectorized portion of the lens.

Mark: I like the stop light detail! Interesting as to how you did that; I will keep that in mind for a later build/project.

I hope this has helped and answered some of the questions. I will post more pics when I have them handy. Until then, build on!

Edited by whale392

Anybody else got anything going on their FOXes? I will have some more pics up this weekend (I hope).

Once I get my next paycheck, I'm going to order the wheels/tires for mine. I should have the interior and engine done soon, and I'm still working on the chassis.

Anybody else got anything going on their FOXes? I will have some more pics up this weekend (I hope).

No... Either been busy, or been working on my MP Nova.

Forgot to say, I enjoyed your progress shots and the work you've done to your GT lately. Keep it up. I have a stack to work on here, might pick something up and run with it once the Nova is done.

[url=http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=3&t=30265#] No, no real progress, not on the one I SHOULD be working on anyway. Well,... I glued the engine halves together, does that count? laugh.gif

You sound about like me! :) I have my enigne almost all together, so does that mean I'm farther along than you are? :lol:

I can't say too much either guys, as I am behind where I should be. Work, vacation (well, going to Florida to help mom and dad after their surgeries anyway), and real cars has been cutting into my build time. That and Mike (Wheelman) roped me into his JDM CBP (just kidding Mike, I went voluntarily!) with two cars has taken its' toll.

Thanks for the compliments; I will post some more pics I am hoping this weekend of other things getting done to the GT conversion and I might even have pics of the 'vert in paint.

I can't say too much either guys, as I am behind where I should be. Work, vacation (well, going to Florida to help mom and dad after their surgeries anyway), and real cars has been cutting into my build time. That and Mike (Wheelman) roped me into his JDM CBP (just kidding Mike, I went voluntarily!) with two cars has taken its' toll.

Thanks for the compliments; I will post some more pics I am hoping this weekend of other things getting done to the GT conversion and I might even have pics of the 'vert in paint.

Roped you in huh? I guess the feeling is mutual since I'm also involved here too......tongue.gif

All I can say is y'all must have a powerful rope! I'm involved in both, too! :D Of course, I need to get myself back at the model desk so I can work on both, too! :D

Well I guess I could post my completed interior. It's stock painted semi-gloss black (front seats made to look like worn leather), and it has a Hurst shifter (stock shift boot with spare shifter). I also used the white-face-gauge decal from the Mercury Cougar kit.

SDC10803.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

• 2 weeks later...