Model Cars Magazine Forum

what do i use to take off primer

I'm working on a 69 superbird, and when i primered it, it looks like the primer "ran" down the body. I went to bed that night, and when I checked on it the next morning, it was dried and wont sand off. I dont have any purple pond stuff. what can i use?

91 % rubbing alcohol

Alcohol will take some primers off. I usually use oven cleaner to take paint off. I like Mr. Muscle. The only place I've been able to find it lately is Ace Hardware. Works quick, after all the paint is off I soak the plastic in white vinegar to neutralize what I used to take the paint off and clean any residue.

only thing i could find was 70% alcohol. guess i gotta go to walmart, or will the 70% work, maybe with some scrubbing

I think 70% will work. And yes, some scrubbing will probably be in order.

I usually use 70% for thinning acrylic paints prior to airbrushing them. A word to the wise, though- alcohol has a habit of flattening Tamiya paints (I don't know about Model Master Acryl,) so if maintaining gloss is a priority for you, you might want to bite the bullet and ante up for their thinner.

Charlie Larkin

Since nobody's said it, I've found Castrol Super Clean eats primer for lunch, the exception being Tamiya where 91%+ alcohol is the hot tip.

Mark, I have one of the little square jars of Tamiya brush-on primer (the white stuff) and alcohol absolutely will not touch it; I've tried. The only stuff that'll remove it is lacquer thinner, at least from my paint brushes. I've not had cause to strip any parts yet.

I knew it wasn't water-based beause it stinks to high heaven. I also wonder about that as I know people who have used the Tamiya spray primer under lacquer with no ill effects.

As to the paint, I'd try alcohol or Testors Acryl dried acrylic paint remover, which works very, very well. Word to the wise: follow the directions EXCACTLY.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575