Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Glue

I haven't used super glue too much until recently, and I'm starting to have some trouble. I have to clear the tip with a needle every time I use it, even if it was only open for a couple of seconds. I use 3M that I snagged from work, and I'm sure its not the best stuff, but being free (I "accidentally" ordered to much) made it appealing. Question... What do you guys use, for what materials, and how do you keep the tip from clogging. The stuff I have is very runny, but it dries quick, I know there's thicker stuff out there. I guess I'm just looking for all the knowledge I can get on the subject. I know you guys are good for it.

I'm the one who uses it at work. I do electronics and custom interior fabrication. Big difference when your working on 1:1 cars...and can use a spray accelerator knowing you can just wipe up the over spray without issue. Oddly enough, I never have a clogging problem at work, we do have alot of glue though.

Edited by slant6

You can try wicking away the excess from the tip with some paper towel, tapping the bottle to settle it and blowing gently down the nozzle (do not touch it with your lips!). Any or all of these methods will work SOMETIMES! It is usually older tips that clog so I buy extra tips for when it just becomes too annoying.

So....you stole it? Great example for the young modellers on here.

No, I snagged it. But, you're right, so just in case... a message to the younger modelers on here.

DON'T STEAL!! Its wrong.

There, problem solved.

Thanks to everyone else for the tips.

I hate super glue, it seems like everytime I go to use it, the bottle has dried up.

I did have some stuff with a screw top and a brush I really liked. The brush made application easy and the screw top took care of the clogging / drying. I found it in a drug store but they don't have it anymore :angry: .

Mostly I use epoxy these days, it doesn't dry up in the tube, it doesn't run, it doesn't cause fogging and it won't stick your fingers together.

I used to use Ambroid Plastic cement, but now I can not find it. So I now use Super glue almost exclusively. The trick is ...

1. Buy the bottles and needle tips from you Local hobby or craft store.

2. Wipe away all excess imediately.

3. Buy the Super glue Debonder. then you can wipe up spills, and clean up dried messes.

4. Use the Accelerator, to prevent fogging.

5. Go to your local hardware store, and get a torch tip cleaner. Then when the nozzle does clog, you have something to clear out the clog with.

:D

I only use superglue about 20% of the time. I'm never in that big of a hurry. After gluing my fingers together a couple of time, I went to the thicker stuff. Usually I go with Zap brand.

I use a simple glue from wally world "multi purpose cement" small tube that are a $1 apiece it holds everything together good.

I did have to pull rearend out(mistake on my part)it came off clean and went back just fine.So for setting on a shelf it does great and its around the rattle can section.