Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP '51 Chevy Gasser

larman

'51 Chevy gasser. I planned to begin my '70 Rebel funny car this month, but I am still gathering parts for it, and figuring out a paint scheme,so I decided to salvage it's P.O.S box mate.(I bought the Rebel and this clunker in the same box at the flea market for $5, it was a sadly built custom). This one is getting the gasser treatment. So far I installed a rear end from a '57 Ford, straight axle from the AMT '37 Chevy, radiused the rear wheel wells, Got it on wheels and tires and picked an engine. The motor will be a tri carb 348 from the AMT '58 Chevy. I am decking it out with the kits finned valve covers, carbs and chrome air cleaners are from the old AMT '57 Chevy(off the blower)and it will have scratch built fender well headers. Paint will be Hugger or (Huggar) Orange. The interior will have buckets from the AMT '34 Ford p.u., no back seat, a roll bar, the custom wheel from the kit, and will be black with silver.It will have traction bars from the '37 Chevy. As always, thanks for looking, and hopefully by the end of the month this heap will look a whole lot better! -Larman

51chevygasser005.jpg

51chevygasser006.jpg

51chevygasser004.jpg

'51 Chevy gasser. I planned to begin my '70 Rebel funny car this month, but I am still gathering parts for it, and figuring out a paint scheme,so I decided to salvage it's P.O.S box mate.(I bought the Rebel and this clunker in the same box at the flea market for $5, it was a sadly built custom). This one is getting the gasser treatment. So far I installed a rear end from a '57 Ford, straight axle from the AMT '37 Chevy, radiused the rear wheel wells, Got it on wheels and tires and picked an engine. The motor will be a tri carb 348 from the AMT '58 Chevy. I am decking it out with the kits finned valve covers, carbs and chrome air cleaners are from the old AMT '57 Chevy(off the blower)and it will have scratch built fender well headers. Paint will be Hugger or (Huggar) Orange. The interior will have buckets from the AMT '34 Ford p.u., no back seat, a roll bar, the custom wheel from the kit, and will be black with silver.It will have traction bars from the '37 Chevy. As always, thanks for looking, and hopefully by the end of the month this heap will look a whole lot better! -Larman

Larman, great choice, great approach (using the parts box) and super-cool use of the 348 Chevy....sure look forward to seeing this one done! TIM BOYD

Very cool ..what a great flashback!!!!

If you want a Kool Orange paint, Go with HOK Ultra Orange Pearl.....Tom Kren Style...shoot it to cover and NO CLEAR!! You get a deep color in a suede like satin finish.....look at his avatar Merc!!!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... Don't paint it... many of those old gasser guys spent the money on the engine. paint was way down the list of important stuff! I like it the way it is. If you must paint PM me and we'll trade bodies.