Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Chevy

AMT Pacemakers

I'm building this to look like a car someone just dragged out of an old barn and has started cleaning and rebuilding for the road, I would like to get the opinions of all about the rust job so far. Does it appear to look like surface rust?

Thanks

Robert

51chevy%20010.JPG

Edited by Coker Creek Speed Shop

I agree the rust looks realistic. The locations are also pretty convincing for something sitting semi-covered and not getting salted.

Just noticed your location, .. yeah.. from a TN barn. B)

Edited by Foxer

Guest Johnny

Don't look like it wa just pulled out of a barn to me!

Except for being a 2 door instead of a 4 door it looks just about like the one my moms' last husband gave to my grandpa in 1965 because the clutch went out and he was mad at it!

Grandpa and I put a clutch in and my great uncle (grandpas' brother) came up from Pilot Knob Mo. on a bus and drove it back home! :blink:

He drove it until 1968 when he traded it in on a new 68 Belair 2dr sedan!

Great job on weathering! Wish I had just half your talent! :)

Edited by Johnny

Guess the new owner is saving the paint and body for last! If this is a barn find, that interior is just too new looking for it. However, as a matter of my not-worth-a-bit opinion, I think the faded paint with the shiny rims and clean interior is a sweet look. Toss an old Stovebolt6 or a 235cid 'Red Flame' into it with some speed parts hanging off of it and you have the perfect car to go stealing little Hondas lunch moneys with!! (No disrespect to the well-built and prepped Hondas out there....the B16A, B18C, and K20/24 motors are some stout runners when built right!)

If you go back to the first post and read "I'm building this to look like a car someone just dragged out of an old barn and has started cleaning and rebuilding for the road,".. That will explain the "new" insides. Yep, the engine is going to be the 6 from the kit with some speed parts on it B) . Thanks for the comments....

CCSS

You've got a very good looking project there.

I like the whole package, paint and rust work together well.

A tip; stainless steel will look like it's new even on a barn find. Chromed pot metal will be pitted and dull. I know the side spear is stainless. I think the rock gaurds on the rear fenders are pot metal.

Your interior work is classy too!

I got that in the first post Robert, hence the 'saving up for the paint and body LAST' portion of my post. B)

I have a barn car myself that is getting all new engine goodies/suspension. Then interior and finally paint. This car is right up my alley!

No problem Bradley. About the trim, I thought about cleaning it but I'm affraid it might look too new for the effect I'm after. But it doesn't look as bad in person as the pics may look. So I'll leave it for now, and as soon as the weathering dries, {its super humid around here right now} I'll take another look at it. Appericate all the comments, thats what I look forward to in these post.

CCSS

I think you pull the Mohair interior off perfect. Looks jus' like my 1957 Bel Air and the 1954 Bel Air Custom Deluxe 4dr I learned to drive in. Keep up the great work. You are doin' this perfectly! I can't wait to see whatcha do with the engine. It's gonna be sweet, I can tell. B)