Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Torino #121 Ron's Ford driver Dan Gurney

Reeves Racing

Hi Guys. I am taking an AMT Torino body and a Polar Lights chassis and building Dan Gurney's 68 Torino driven at Riverside.

I am using various sorces for the decals. Here is what I have so far.

I bought the kit/project off of eBay the previous owner had already narrowed the chassis but that all the rest is my work.

DSC03246.jpg

DSC03243.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03253.jpg

DSC03254.jpg

DSC03255.jpg

DSC03252.jpg

That is really shaping up well. You know that ol' Dan's ride is one of my favorite color scemes.

merc5.jpg

A tip on the roll bar padding. Take off the tape and make friends with an electrician or home remodeler and get some scrap 12-2 wire from him. You can cut the black (sometimes dark grey) insulation longways and peel it off the wire. Then open up the cut and slide it over your roll bars and you've got prototypical thickness roll bar padding.

Here's a shot of a Petty car I did for an on-line construction article using that method,

picture6.jpg

I got one that works better than that. You can get heat shrink tubing at any parts store in black and other colors too. Easier to cut length wise too with a pair of scissors or knife. And it's much softer too. Easier to bend around corners and such.

yep, a good start...

Dan Gurney is one of my heros... i plan on building that car and a USAC Torino driven by AJ Foyt..

yea, same here. Gurney is one of mine too. my plan is to some day finish the #42 Plymouth Superbird he raced at Riverside in 1970. some day.....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...