Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 top alcohol dragster

comp1839

Dave,

I've just spent over an hour going through all those threads...absolutely awesome!

I know your work from LSM but hadn't made the connection and didn't realise there were so many LSMers here - I had no idea you were so productive!

I'm inspired to get back to my lathe now - if only I had the time!

Got to hand in my MA dissertation in two weeks, then maybe I'll get some more garage hours.

BTW, I'm cinqster on LSM - the (half) builder of the ever continuing/stopping Porsche RS60 build! One day! :lol:)

Thanks Dave,

Not been near the project, or a lathe/mill for ages, but I've have drawn up accurate plans for every part on the car at last..not easy when there's only 14 left on this planet!

Hoping I may win a 1/8 prototype commission when I'm done with the paper, but not holding my breath on that one

Got my next 1/8th project drawn up too...The Stutz Black Hawk Special! It's big!

• 2 weeks later...

That's very impressive work that you guys on your planet can do. On Planet Earth we can't do that kind of stuff... :(

Cato....shame on you dude, Dave no doubt is an extraordinary gentleman and a highly skilled modeler. At times I've wondered if he may be Clark Kent reincarnated.

However, after seeing your GT build you are already signed up for your next E ticket ride. Perhaps one day I'll be able to keep up with you.

Catching up with Dave's' interstellar builds is going to take a while.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

been working on the interior panels. the floor, front of footbox and the data aquisition and fuel management panel above the driver legs. also fabbed the drivers seat. the seat is hand formed .020" aluminum that i then tig welded.

001-20.jpg

002-24.jpg

hope you enjoy.

I have trouble enough tig welding big stuff.....much less 1/8th. Maybe my eyeball needs recalibrating. I'd like to toss some more kudos your way but am at a loss as to what I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that chassis is really coming along,do you plan on painting the chassis or will you polish it up? Again great work,I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that I appreciate all the hard work you put into your models so we can look them over and see how they come together.

finally got around to making the front wheels. they're Gibson wheels.

started out like this.

001-29.jpg

ended up like this.

006-18.jpg

007-17.jpg

hope you enjoy.

DAVE-

I really look forward to each and every post here with you. I too was a Drag Racer back in the late 60's early 70's and remember cars like this vividly. I ran a door slammer but still enjoy the "long" cars! Approx. how long did it take you to machine one of these wheels & roughly what is the wheel thickness & diameter?

Marty