Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 378 take 3

From the day I got this truck I have not been able to decide what to do with it. I bought it specifically to build a log truck but at the time my skills were not very good. Some of you may remember that original thread. Then I decided it would go good as a strait truck for a lowboy or something.

Well here it is today. I still have a lot of stuff planned for it but this is where it sits now. I got the trailer from Hiway. The wheels and tires on the trailer are Italeri. Put a stinger on the end from an Italeri parts truck chassis.

I really need to figure out a way to put tail lights on the truck still plus I want to add some full wrap fenders on the drop axle's.

Didnt occur to me till later that this truck looks nearly identical to one that a friend of my dad drives with the exception of the lift axle.

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

That looks good, Ryan. Those aren't the kit logs detailed, are they? If they are the real things, I need to visit that tree!! :lol: That's one thing holding mine up is finding a branch that looks like a scale log, most I've found here so far has smooth bark on the limbs small enough to be scale logs. :lol:

Oh, and an idea for the taillights, what about the Grote style taillights in the Italeri kits? If I remember, the Petes don't have them, but every other Italeri does, you could swap the Super 40s in the Pete onto something else.

I got very lucky with the scale that the logs came out to. I wanted something that reflects what a nice load would look like these days because loads like that dont come around to often these days.

I have not finished the other truck yet. This is how it still sits. I have put so much time, money and work in to building this one that I can bring myself to paint the cab myself. My standards are much higher then my skills so until then I figure out what to do about the paint job this is how it will stay.

IMG_9208.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess you could put some chains & turnbuckles on the rack. Maybe dome dirt?

I agree with Jim, and also think some chains on the trailer as well, and something to block the sleeper hole in the back wall.

In the NW where I am from it is ver common for people to buy trucks, cut the sleeper off and then have a piece of glass cut to fit the original hole.

Sorry, I didn't even relize you had anything in there. :D

• 3 months later...

You nailed it! Also the big back window would be correct if the truck was new with a sleeper and the owner turned to hauling logs.

Tail lights.............. drill holes in the back of the stinger and mount them behind them or build a small box on the side of the frame and double stack two round lights.

Just a thought.

Now............... how much would it take to get a small box of those logs sent to Arizona.

Mike

Edited by TUFF TIN