Model Cars Magazine Forum

'37 Ford Panel Delivery

Tradeshowjoe

Just started this one, kind of a side burner project while I wrap up another build or two.

1. box art

P1030350.jpg

2. Laid out the cut line for the chop

P1030343.jpg

3. sprayed some paint, as I did't trust the tape to stay put. After spraying a little black primer, I decided that I needed to take out more material. I added some more tape and sprayed some red (to contrast the black and white.

P1030355.jpg

4. After the glue.

P1030359.jpg

5. & 6. After some Vallejo putty and primer

P1030369.jpg

P1030368.jpg

So next will be some real bondo, I love the "v" putty, but I need the qualities of a real 2-part filler. Especially on the a-pillars. I have a set of Am Sat Pirelli big and smalls that I intend to use with DM billet wheels and Eagle inserts.. The suspension is being lowered now and modified to accept the wheels. Thinking about leaving off the rear fenders, or making them smaller, i dunno. Haven't decided what color yet. Either a HOK candy combination or "rat rod" flat black. Will use a bigger than stock motor, possibly blown. Thinking about changing the dual rear doors to a more modern style tailgate and upper window Both functional.

jeez SORRY about the reposts, something went all haywire with my browser.

As far as the angled chop? Good question, I guess my only answer would be because this is my 1st chop. After reading your post I realized that I could've done the cut more "horizontal". The chop is actually "pied" as I wanted to put a bit more of a rake to the roofline. I suppose that's why I went on an angle, I was thinking angles.

Looks good so far. I agree that you needed more than the initial chop - looks great with the extra taken out. Why the angled chop? laugh.gifunsure.gif

hey...whatcha talkin boutblink.gif ....I think that it makes it look lower and less boxywink.gifwink.gif ..sometimes we get lucky!!!smile.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Long overdue update sorry about that. Been working on her quite a bit. It's all those last minute changes the models seem to demand. With that intro, I'll start off with the most recent change. I am going to open up the roof and install a VW style sumroof.So far all I've done towards that end is make a rag top just to see how it would look.

microsuedersz.jpg

I hinged the rear door and now need to finish the body work to make the two doors appear as one.

3.jpg

the lower body panels have been painted with Testors One Coat Lacquer "Root Beer", covered with Testors O.C.L. "wet Look" clear.

bettercolorandclearrsz.jpg

Engine is mocked up and waiting for me to decide on the wiring and plumbing. I expct to do do a whole lot of it.

enginemockuprsz.jpg

Interior tub is done, less the steering wheel/column, and shifter.

no2.jpg

P1030435rsz.jpg

And this is the last mock up with the stuff done to date, all fitted and playing nice. I even have room to put in the radiator (all though it took quite a bit of "grinding" on the transmission!).

P1030431.jpg

Thanks for stopping in checkin' her out. She was back burner to start but you know...

Edited by Tradeshowjoe

Doesn't look there's much interest in this one. That's cool. I started off with the stutter f#%$^% repost. Well if you are here THANKS. I also could've been posting more regular updates, my bad, been lazy.

Here's what I've been up to;

A new test for the rag top. It still may get a functional top instead, we'll see. Been focusing on the engine mostly right now.

P1030449nrsz.jpg

rearrsz.jpg

I fixed the pulleys so they are in the right spots now. I also epoxied some long extensions to the backsides to help with the belt tension. One header built. I got my carbs all painted up. Decided to leave the scoop removable to show the work so I added the pins. Working on the Fuel lines now, no shots yet.

1rsz.jpg

2rsz.jpg

1rsz-1.jpg

3rsz.jpg

P1030476.jpg

P1030478.jpg

Hey, thanks again for stopping by, and letting me whine/vent a little.

Joe

Lots of interesting things going on here.. and there's been a lot of views. No one seems to be ignoring you. :) The engine looks like it will be looking good, those exhausts are nice curlies. The cloth top seems to be looking well as does the interior cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

finally, a bit of progress to share.

Got the engine in the chassis. Got most of the wiring done, believe it or not there is more yet to add. Body work is going on, slowly. No paint yet so no pics. Suspension is done, just getting the rest of the exhaust put together and ready for paint,then I can add the lower body. Wheels are only mocked up in these photos, so if they aren't just right ignore it. Hoping to get the body painted today. As I have opened the roof up I now have a bit more prep work on the inside (from the chop job).

Thanks for checkin' it out.

joe

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

thanks jim. The tires are American Satco "Pirelli big and littles". Wheels are Detail Master "Billet Specialties Eagle". I got them with a bunch of other stuff from a fellow modeler on another forum a while back. I still need to add the knock offs and center hub "buttons", just waiting 'till I get the suckers mounted.

2-1.jpg

Edited by Tradeshowjoe

• 1 month later...

a little progress worth noting on this project.

I am using real wood on most of this project, for the bottom side of the bed, I decided to go with paint. I didn't want to lose any of the detail (the bolts in particular). I used oil paints for the wood, BMF for the strips and a silver marker for the bolts.

undrsidewood2rsz.jpg

undersidewood1rsz.jpg

Made the exhaust pipes with the same sculptors armature wire that I used for the headers. The Borla mufflers are cast in resin from a friends Mustang kit. I still need to add the tips and trim to final position.

framebottom2rsz.jpg

And here's a few shots of the engine progress. Since these pics I've started to mount the frame to the "lower body section". Lot's of wires on this one I need to get my firewall in place so I can finish routing them and get rid of the "Medusa" look.

frame1rsz.jpg

engine3rsz.jpg

engine2rsz.jpg

engine1rsz.jpg

Thanks for stopping by the Garage to check her out. And thanks for the comments,much appreciated.

Joe

wow that is looking great! i especially like that sunroof and the chassis and motor. killer details. wow.

this is my first viewing this thread so sorry if i digress here a bit but about the paint, you said it was testors root beer lacquer, did you shoot it straight from the can or did you decant it and airbrush it? really looks sweet. i was wondering if the red you see in your photos is really the dominant tone or is that just in the photo? i would think a "root beer" would be more brownish but i like that red!

now i am going to go back through the thread and really eyeball it, so sorry if youve already mentioned the answer to my questions but it sure is looking great!

Thanks Guys.

Crazyjim; I don't remember the size, I'll go throw the micrometer on it-1.6mm or 0.063in. We'll call that roughly as the numbers bounced a bit. I've not had and any trouble with bending it, sort of what it's made for.

JB; I guess I forgot to mention the two tone paint scheme, oops! The upper part of the body, including the interior tub is shot (or will be) with House of Kolor "candy tangerine" over HOK "orion silver", That would explain the reddish color on the engine and interior.

No photos today but things are happening. I should have an update tonight.

Thanks for the interest

joe

• 3 weeks later...

I should be wrapping this one up pretty soon, gettin' close.

Engine is done, less the throttle linkage and maybe some vacuum lines. I had to build a battery as the stock terminals would've interfered with the fuel lines (they were on diagonal corners). Glad it happened though, I like the scratch built Optima.

Wheels got their knock offs and mounted to the chassis.

Wow, I had to modify the interior tub because I placed the engine further back than in mock-ups, oops. I took off a lip where it meets the bed, that meant I had to extend the dash forward to make up for moving the tub back. I got lucky it came out good. Only bummer is that the interior was "done".

Painted and cleared the main body. Sculpted (from Magic Sculpt) a sunroof ragtop, and painted it (no photos yet). I put some tape on the underside to simulate a headliner. It won't be seen, I did it anyway.

I have wood side panels for the exterior. They have wet clear coat on them. When it dries I have made some decals for them. There is also wood panels and sun visors for the interior.

That's about it for now. I plan on getting some big steps done this afternoon, I'll try to post more tonight.

Thanks for stopping by the garage, look out for the "Central Scrutinizer".

Joe

the stance...

P1030848rsz.jpg

engine, pass side...

P1030851rsz.jpg

-drivers side...

P1030850rsz.jpg

painted and cleared, in the drying rack...

P1030860rsz.jpg

complete Detail Master wheel...

P1030849rsz.jpg

Edited by Tradeshowjoe

• 4 weeks later...

This is a realy good build lot of good detail.

I built an optima battery for my 55 chevy also,something that small adds better detail I think.

Keep building and posting,I know what you mean about not getting many replies thats just

the way it go's is the way I figure it.

The replies you get are good ones.

Some on this form like this type of model and some do'nt.

I'm one that do's like it.Keep up the good building.

recent5522-1.jpg

Thanks Guys, Been a while since I worked on this one. Weird thing is, it's been a while since anyone here posted about it. Funny today there has been two of you and today I woke up early to finish this build. Funny sincronicity.

I really upset myself last session with this one. I made all kinds of screw ups, more than I care to get into at the momment. I will post an update today if all goes well, hopefully she ends up "under glass" by days end.