Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I missing something here?

I just posted this reply in the Rants 'n' Raves section where we're talking about model kit manufacturers and their advertising... or lack of it, but I think I'll put it here too, and get some feedback from you guys:

One way that model kit manufacturers could "get back in the game" for very little money is to do what they used to do: sponsor model contests!

Back in the day the kitmakers sponsored major contests... why not today? Getting back into contest sponsorship would cost very little... a notice on their website, an email blast in their newsletter, maybe an ad in MCM, SA, and others. Prizes could consist of either gift certificates good for the company's products, or actual kits themselves, magazine subscriptions, and even coverage in the magazine, say, a cover appearance for the Best in Show (wink, wink, Gregg...).

I bet that Gregg might even consider selling ad space on this site in regards to a model kit maker-sponsored contest.

The manufacturer-sponsored contests used to be big back in the day... why did they disappear? And why not get back into it? The cost to the manufacturer would be minimal, the impact could be huge! Talk about bang for the buck! Think about what great PR this would be for Moebius and their new Hudson, just to name one possible scenario at random.

Why aren't they doing this??? Am I missing something? Is this too logical to work?

i would bet it would cost GM (or ford or mopar or etc) 10,000$ in admin costs to kick down 30$ to sponsor a model show class. not including the lawyers.

thats why they are dinosaurs: big slow moving expensive easy targets for something quick on its feet.

Actually,

Those Revell National Model Car Contests rode on the backs of local hobby shops far more than on Revell themselves. Your local hobby dealer had to sign up, and buy the promotional/trophy package from Revell. Now that worked pretty well for the first couple of years, 1963 and 1964, but by 1965, slot car racing had pretty much turned the model car scene on its ear in many cities, and interest waned in local hobby shop contests, which was the first round of the Revell contest series.

In addition, the local hobby shop owner had to send in the winner from his particular contest to Revell, and in those years, very few of them knew how to pack a model car so that it would not get crushed in the mail (UPS had yet to become truly national in scope and service then), so many models arrived at Revell busted beyond saving, and many hobby dealers flat refused to send in an entry for fear of that very thing happening (our's here in Lafayette was one).

A close parallel was the Aurora National Model Motoring HO Championships, which began with local races, then regional, with the championship race on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (back when Carson had dark hair, and Ed McMahon was reasonably slender). That promotion lasted but 2-3 years, then Aurora pulled the plug, probably figuring that the marketing results weren't worth what may well have been a considerable cost to them.

One problem with "single kit brand" contests simply is, they were almost always biased, if not limited strictly to, the kits of the particular manufacturer, and thus entries were also limited, given the tendency of modelers then toward a particular brand, which may well not have been the sponsor of the event.

At any rate, by perhaps 1966, the concept of a hobby shop putting on a model car contest pretty much fell by the wayside, and until MPC stepped up to the plate with their traveling series of contests at major custom/hot rod shows in the 70's, there just wasn't any contest scene to speak of in most cities.

That said, I remember fondly the 1962 Bell Auto Supply (a regional association of Mom & Pop auto supply stores back then) here in Lafayette. That's still the record for numbers of entries of any model car event I have ever seen, with entries starting to be accepted at the store in February, closed off finally at closing time on the last business day of April--nearly 3000 model cars on display ALL OVER THE STORE, in every glass case (!) and filling both huge entryway show windows (the front door was 15' into the building, with a wall of plate glass on either side). The Webers tried for the same level of interest in the winter of '63, but only a hundred or so models were entered in that, the first year of the Revell-Pactra National Model Car Contest. Interest just didn't develop here locally after that.

Art

People who attend model contests are, for the most part, hard-core enthusiast modelers who are already well aware of brand names like Revell, AMT, Tamiya, etc., are are very familiar with the products they offer. Thus, advertising through contest sponsorship would essentially be preaching to the choir, so to speak.

So is advertising in model car magazines. Preaching to the choir, that is.

But by creating and promoting a national manufacturer sponsored contest(s)... the kitmakers could get themselves a ton of publicity and good will for very little $$$ investment. Maybe even pick up a new consumer or two along the way.

Basically they would have nothing (or next to nothing) to lose and everything to gain. Seems like a no-brainer to me...

The goal of advertising - any advertising - is to increase brand and product awareness.

There's another goal of advertising (and I've worked with advertisers for 20+ years, so I kinda know what I'm talking about)… even as it relates to current customers/consumers, aka "preaching to the choir:" to create good will, or a positive image of the brand. McDonald's and Coke both advertise. Do you think there's anyone who hasn't heard of McDonald's or Coke???

Again... nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Agreed ... but ... go back a re-read point No. 2 in my original post.

Also, it should be noted that Revell already does provide sponsorship for contests _ or, at least it did until very recently _ in the form of sending clubs snap kits to use to hold "make and take" events for kids.

I'm not talking about passive sponsorship... I'm talking about in-yer-face sponsorship along with media promotion.

The Revell 2010 Model Car Championship.

The AMT/MPC/Round 2/Whatever the heck they call themselves today 2010 Model Car Showdown.

The Moebius 2010 Buildoff.

You get the point... minimal investment, potential big return, and even if a total bust... no great loss, $$$ wise.

Why not give it a shot? What do they have to lose? Nothing!!!

If you're so passionate about this and so completely convinced it would work, you should definitely pitch it to Revell and/or Round 2. (might be a bit premature for Moebius to get involved in something like you're proposing) just to see what their reaction is.

However, my own gut feeling is that if the model companies thought it was something that would help boost sales, increase goodwill or whatever, they'd be doing it already.

Like I said in my initial post... am I missing something?

This is a total no-brainer. No downside, only a potential (albeit not guaranteed) upside.

Believe me, if I was a muckety-muck at any of the kit makers, this would already be a reality!

I think the kit makers need to get their collective heads out of their you-know-whats and start doing a little creative thinking.

I have to agree with Harry. This hobby could get a great shot in the arm if the kit manufacturers would start some national competitions and they could advertise for the contests all over the web as well!! Why they don't would come down to their excuse being the economy, etc, ad naseum. But they are missing out!

Like I said in my initial post... am I missing something?

This is a total no-brainer. No downside, only a potential (albeit not guaranteed) upside.

Believe me, if I was a muckety-muck at any of the kit makers, this would already be a reality!

I think the kit makers need to get their collective heads out of their you-know-whats and start doing a little creative thinking.

Now, now, Harry. Diplomacy makes the world go 'round.

There's an anecdote in the Revell chapter of Terry Jessee's "Hot Rod Model Kits" book on that very subject that's absolutely priceless.

It seems Revell instructed hobby shop owners to use popcorn as packing material when mailing in models. Of course, they meant popped popcorn, but, apparently, they didn't make that clear enough because at least one model arrived at Revell packed in unpopped kernels! The net effect was the same as if it had been packed in metal ball bearings! :lol:

Then there was another one that showed up packed in caramel corn and was such a sticky, gooey mess that it could not be salvaged.

I don't mean mail-in contests, I mean sponsoring contests across the country. Getting involved with local events... or creating new events.

Harry,

You are correct , it would be beneficial to them ! Problem is , creative thinking is not a well known dynamic in the boardrooms these days ! They'd rather try to cut each others throats . You'll never hear about them commiting suicide because they could never make up there minds as to what form to use . Indecision and excuses rule the day !

One well known company in particular that I've dealt with has exactly one modeler on their board , period ! All the rest are bean counters that have no clue as to what is going on in the modeling world . It is truly a sad situation . What is most upsetting , there are people out there who could really help them out and they refuse to listen !

I would think that any discussion of what would, and what wouldn't work that uses the history of contests from 40+ years ago as a guide is off to a badly misguided start.

When the Revell-Pactra contests (and all the rest) were going on, the hobby was much bigger and had pre-teen kids as the target customers. Marketing in comic books and Boy's Life magazine made sense then, and it was just a different world.

I can't say a contest would be a success or not, but I strongly disagree with the idea that because they weren't successful in the past that it is any kind of indicator of what would happen today.

Yeah, baby!!!

Too much "oh, it'll never work"... not nearly enough "let's try it and see." Especially considering how little $$ investment would actually be needed to do this.

The kit makers need a serious infusion of new thinking. Success is rarely achieved by timidity.

Don't get your hopes up for a manufacturer to sponsor or run an national model car contest as it's just not going to happen. The modeling "boom" of the 60's is long gone. There were more builders "back in the day" than today. Now most of the builders are 40+ years old. The hobby business is a far cry from what it used to be and today it is a bad business venture. Many and I do mean many hobby shops from the 60's & 70's are long gone and the ones that are surviving are big into R/C because that's where the MONEY is! In the 50's, 60's, & 70's there were many "combo" businesses, like a camera store/ hobby shop, a Schwinn bicycle dealer/ hobby shop, pet store/hobby shop, confectionary store/ hobby shop,etc.. Manufacturers are not making tons of money on plastic model kits and are not going to use a contest to promote their business as all the model builders are fully aware of who makes model kits today. They don't have to advertise today like they did back in the 60's. Take your rose colored glasses off because a national model car contest put on or sponsored by a kit manufacturer is a far fetched idea.

Any discussion of anything that kit makers shouldn't or shouldn't be doing that takes place here or on any other Internet forum is so much bread and circuses and nothing more ... in other words, it's meaningless.

Like I said earlier, Harry, if you're so invested in this and so convinced it would work, I challenge you to put together a presentation and pitch it to the people who actually have the ability to make it happen, as opposed to evangelizing about it to an audience of people who have no such ability.

In other words ... money, meet mouth! :D

Kit makers monitor sites like this. If they didn't, they'd be fools.

I challenge you to put together a presentation and pitch it to the people who actually have the ability to make it happen, as opposed to evangelizing about it to an audience of people who have no such ability.

In other words ... money, meet mouth! :D

I'm just a regular guy... I have no contacts in the industry, I have no influence with anyone who's anyone. All I can do is put the idea out there and hope that someone with some influence, or someone who knows someone with some influence, sees it and runs with it.

the problem with national or international contests remains the physical transportation of a model somewhere with its attendant packing and especially unpacking and handling. these days contests could be held over the internet using photos but as brought up elsewhere, then it becomes more of a photography contest. its hard to visualize how a national or greater contest would work where models wouldnt be pretty much guaranteed to be returned in pieces. under those conditions i think its gonna be hard to get modelers themselves interested in the contest much less some corporate sponsors.

<edited because i got totally off topic somehow...concentration is the second thing to go,you know?)

Edited by jbwelda

My view on this is that they should consider placing ads in magazines that 40-50 year old males read and AARP publications too.

It's the pond where the largest catch is, and with the right bait can be lured back into their favorite past time from when they were kids again.

Also I'm wondering if the make and take program with pre-paint snapper cant' be tried out, in the homes for the elderly, as sort of a group team building effort.

Just my view on the matter.

I can be wrong and have been in the past

;)

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

Well, with all due respect, if model companies do monitor sites like this.......I can see why they wouldn'y want to do any sort of promotion/contest. We seem to have become deeply segmented and firmly entrenched in our beliefs, and adamantly refuse to see the possibilities. We have abject negativity here, and those who seem to think that something might just work are fools. While most of the arguements here might have some merit; if I were a monitor for a Model company and saw all of this naysaying FROM THE MODEL COMMUNITY, I wouldn't want to promote my company in a contest/sponsor spot either. How do we know it won't work? It might not, but it just might be worth a try too. We sail the skies today because many people tried what said couldn't be done and failed. It just took the RIGHT people and place to succeed.

Many good points made here, both pro and con, but I think Harry's idea is worth investigating. If nothing is done, then the hobby will continue to die. The days of the LHS holding a contest are over as the number of LHS are going fast. I know that HobbyTown USA has had contests in the past, maybe some type of partnership could be struck with them?

I think the concept is great, the execution might be harder, not sure.

The HobbyTown USA in Virginia Beach, Va used to hold a 'contest' of sorts, open to all builds. It was more like a 'show and shine' for their customers to show off their builds. One of their employees (Joe Miles) was an avid builder, and had a binder with literally hundreds of resin and aftermarket contacts under the counter. If you needed something, you could talk to Joe and he would order it through the store.

I miss those days.