Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Ferrari 156/85_1985 Canadian GP Winner

curt raitz

Sold the 1/12th Ferrari 312T to a gentleman in Olympia, Washington.

He inquired if I'd be interested in building a few large scale Formula One kits for him...a Tyrell P34 and a MG Model Plus Ferrari 156/85.

Right up my alley, I love to build big scale kits, especially F1...but do not collect them.

Once I've built a kit the love affair is over, then I gotta move on.

Just finished the P34 so on to the Model Plus Ferrari 156/85 1985 Canadian GP winner driven by Michele Alboreto

Ferrari_156_Canada_1985-vi.jpg

I was not familiar with this company from Italy and their kits. Now I am, what a kit...only complaint so far - the instructions are a little tough to follow and the resin/white metal casting is on the rough side, but seems to clean up fairly easy.

Parts are Resin, Resin, Resin...White Metal, Photo-etch, tiny turned metal parts, screws, nails and more Resin

The Box:

Ferrari15685MGModelPlusBox-vi.jpg

The Box Opened:

156_box-vi.jpg

Parts is Parts:

kitsample156-vi.jpg

156_parts-vi.jpg

Time to start cleaning and prepping the parts...

thanx for lookin' cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Finally plowing through this model, have done more research on building this model than I've ever done before

being as though this model cost over $750, I sure don't want to screw it up...sad.gif

following advise from other modelers who have build these big scale resin kits...the front suspension needs to be "beefed up"

the weight of the model will in time collapse the white metal suspension arms.

Ferrrari15685_af-vi.jpg

brass tubing inserts with brass pins installed on upper suspension arms

Ferrrari15685_ah-vi.jpg

replacing white metal suspension supports with brass

Ferrrari15685_ag-vi.jpg

interior tub with dash

Ferrrari15685_ab-vi.jpg

disc brakes: original from kit - openings drilled and sanded - painted testors metalizer titanium

Ferrrari15685_ac-vi.jpg

all the red parts, cleaned, primed white and Tamiya's TS-8 Italian Red applied

ready for decals and clearcoat(s)

lots and lots of carbon fiber decals to put on this puppy- ooftahuh.gif

thanx for lookin cool.gif

Got a lot done on this car...

Ferrari15685_ca-vi.jpg

interior tub, dash assembly and steering wheel

Ferrari15685_cb-vi.jpg

front/rear suspension with rotors and calipers

Ferrari15685_cc-vi.jpg

intercoolers and radiators

Ferrari15685_cd-vi.jpg

rear wing assembly

Ferrari15685_ce-vi.jpg

front wing assembly

Ferrari15685_cf-vi.jpg

side pods and engine cover painted, decaled and clearcoated...just a little color sanding and final clearcoat to go

Ferrari15685_cg-vi.jpg

body painted, decaled and clearcoated...awaiting a little color sanding and clearcoat, also

Ferrari15685_ci-vi.jpg

Ferrari15685_cj-vi.jpg

one Ferrari V6 Turbo engine ready to go...

thanx for lookin' :)

How much did you say this kit cost????? I'm a big Alboreto fan, but not that big. Nice work, keep us posted.

He paid at least $750 for the kit...needless to say way-way out of my price range!

I'm a little anxious and nervous building this kit, but enjoying the challenge/experience of building it as well.

hopefully if pleased, he'll send more my way

thanx...:D

Wow, that's coming along beautifully. I've built a couple of Tamiya 1/12 F1 models, and even though they came out well (with the exception of a few decal issues on Jim Clark's Lotus), they can't compare to the detail and work you've done. I'm sure your client will be very pleased.

Holy smoke, Batman...look at this guy go!!! Not only fast but good!!

Curt, my old friend...you embarrass me with your speed!! I still haven't painted the color coat on the WagonRod...and I started it about 5 builds ago for you...

I may just start sending my stuff to you to build.cool.gif

Let me know when you've got a weekend off from work. I've got to come by and meet those elves.

Later,

I thought I was gonna rush out and buy this kit, but the $750.00 price tag slaped me in the face as hard as my wife would have if I would've bought it. Good job on the build though and I know your loving every bit of it. Romell :D

Sounds good to me!!

OK...you've shamed me into painting the Wagon Rod.tongue.gif

I actually broke out a new can of Testors lacquer Honduras Maroon and a new can of clear and went at it!!ohmy.gif

It actually came out pretty good...almost good enough to build as-is.

Later,

You were right, this is right up your alley. Great job on the Ferrari. Be careful, you finish this one too fast and everyone that has you build for them will expect that kind of speed. Anyway, very impressive.

As I recall from last years number of completions, you complete a build every eleven days, so you are right on track with this one.

You were right, this is right up your alley. Great job on the Ferrari. Be careful, you finish this one too fast and everyone that has you build for them will expect that kind of speed. Anyway, very impressive.

As I recall from last years number of completions, you complete a build every eleven days, so you are right on track with this one.

Thanx Peter

I will have spent more time researching the building of this model than the time I spend building it

it has been a fun experience so far

lookin' forward to playin' with your latest project B)

progress has been made...

cockpit finished:

Ferrari15685_da-vi.jpg

transaxle/rear suspension:

Ferrari15685_db-vi.jpg

front fuselage with cockpit installed:

Ferrari15685_dh-vi.jpg

Ferrari15685_dj-vi.jpg

bottom chassis plate:

Ferrari15685_dk-vi.jpg

rear and front wings:

Ferrari15685_df-vi.jpg

engine and transaxle mated:

Ferrari15685_dd-vi.jpg

Ferrari15685_de-vi.jpg

time to start putting all the componets together...

thanx for lokkin' :)

Curt, what did you use for the seat? I know in this scale you have a wider variety of options to choose from. It looks to good to be flocking. Fantastic work as usual!

Chris

It's called "Adhesive cloth for seats" from Model Factory Hiro of Japan

works fantastic...sticky and can be streached a lot, so it conforms to the shape of the seat

t4_03-vi.jpg

c'ya

• 2 weeks later...