Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Chrysler Turbine Car Update----Final Update!-6/23/07

MrObsessive

Thanks Brian and Jairus!

Brian, I airbrushed a couple shades of Alclad on the engine and the suspension arms. Mostly aluminum was used on the engine, while the upper and lower suspension arms were done in Alclad Steel. The main engine "block" was done in Polly Scale Engine Black which is water based acrylic.

This shade of black is great to use on interiors because it doesn't dry totally flat black.

There is a slight sheen to it which is good for vinyl. The only caveat is it doesn't stand up to handling very well, so I won't use it for the roof's vinyl top.

Just a little update here.............It was time to get the rest of the color painting of the body out of the way.............I masked off the critical areas with Tamiya Tape and Parafilm.

P4031349-vi.jpg

P4031350-vi.jpg

To airbrush the vinyl roof, I used Krylon Semi Flat Black and let sit in the dehydrator for a while. This paint dries pretty darn quick, so I could pull off the masking reasonably soon.

I'll admit that painting vinyl tops is NOT one of my favorite things! :shock: I'm never satisfied with the texturing so this is as good as it gets! :wink:

P4031352-vi.jpg

P4031353-vi.jpg

Well half the battle is done now...................Later this week I'll clearcoat the lower body, doors, hood and trunk. Then it's on to BMF all the trim.

P4031354-vi.jpg

P4031355-vi.jpg

P4031357-vi.jpg

One SNAFU on my part was I forgot to BMF the scripts beforehand to try and bring those out with some rubbing out of the paint. :oops: Oh well.............I'll try to dry brush those near the end of the build.

Meanwhile..............I need to tackle the somewhat fiddly interior...........sigh............:?

Stay tuned for more! :mrgreen:

I really love the color. It looks somewhat similar to the Corvette's Atomic Orange. I built the snap version of the Turbine car a few years ago and the color I used was darker. I don't remember exactly but it was a Duplicolor GM color. That was when close enough was good enough.

MVC-707F.JPG

I'm insane (and shameful) posting this build next to yours but yes, I'm nuts :D

By the way, there is one and a half ACRES of BMF in this car... :D

Thanks,

One SNAFU on my part was I forgot to BMF the scripts beforehand to try and bring those out with some rubbing out of the paint. :oops: Oh well.............I'll try to dry brush those near the end of the build.

Another option you might consider in lieu of drybrushing is to use a silver sharpie.

Well, Mr. Obsessive, that is one fine looking Turbine you've got there. I really like the job you did on the 'Service Module'. Beats the heck out of the chrome that was in the kit! I can't wait to see 'er complete. Incredible work.

Guest roadkill2525

The leather seats were made from a bronze colored "English Calfskin" and the floor had bronze colored deep pile carpeting. The Exterior color was called "Frostfire Metallic" and later called "Turbine Bronze".

Will you add working electroluminescent gauges?

Bill, i just read through the 8 pages of this thread. and i just gotta say, no I cant say it, i will let this say it for me.

smilies-31022.png

I am so looking forward to seeing this completed.

Thanks Dave and everyone for the encouragement so far! I've been sidelined by work (changing shifts), but now I'm back to normal (3rd shift) and so I've got the interior work under way.

Hopefully, later this week, I can post some pics of the completed interior. :)

Watching you build this is absolutely great. Planning on copying it to file when you finish.

I hope your aware that the interior's two tone. The bucket inserts are slightly orange(ier).

Interior10.jpg

I wonder if there were variances among the cars. This photo shows a slightly different seat color:

Dash.jpg

And the photos here seem to show a darker seat insert, possibly a different material, too:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine-photos.html

I have a lot of photos for reference to do the interior...............and no one pic is consistent. I've painted the seats pretty much all one color as the differences are negligible.

Ya gotta remember also that there is at least 44 years of age on those interiors............so some fading/wearing has taken place. :wink:

My old eyes are 58 years old and I can't see the difference so I wouldn't worry about it. Who needs that much detail anyway. By the way, are you going to make the radio work????

Later Dave.

OH Bill, I hope to meet you someday. As you probably know Chopper and I are good friends and me and my buddy are the ones who gave Chopper his nickname. We taught him how to paint and now we are the students and he teaches us. I plan on going to Toledo someday and maybe some of the NNL's on the east coast.

My old eyes are 58 years old and I can't see the difference so I wouldn't worry about it. Who needs that much detail anyway. By the way, are you going to make the radio work????

Later Dave.

OH Bill, I hope to meet you someday. As you probably know Chopper and I are good friends and me and my buddy are the ones who gave Chopper his nickname. We taught him how to paint and now we are the students and he teaches us. I plan on going to Toledo someday and maybe some of the NNL's on the east coast.

I'm gonna try and get to Toledo this year.........I won't have anything earth shattering this year to bring but it's been a long time since I've been there ('02?)

I had planned to go last year but the whole moving into a new house kerfuffle put the kibosh on that! :D

Bill,

Outstanding work, as usual! I'll never look at this kit quite the same from now on!

Thanks for taking the time to explain the things you do! You're a great source of entertainment and inspiration!

I know for a fact that you've made me a better modeler, just by your example.

Thanks!

Time again for another update!

Sorry for the long lag between updates.........there's been a lot going on in my world lately......more on that later.

One of the biggest hangups I've had so far is getting the color of the carpet just so. First I had flocked the floor with white flocking.............then painted it, but it looked like an Irish Setter when it was done! :shock:

Then I tried to paint it using some other color flocking (gray) but that looked even worse! :shock: The last resort was to spray the floor with Scale Motorsport Faux Fabrix to give it some texture.

Once this was dry I mixed up some Tamiya Hull Red, Flat Red and Orange............Then I mixed in some Tamiya Flat Base. This was then airbrushed on in light coats 'til I got the right shading I wanted.

The results are as good as it gets.............It would be neat if someone did make bronze colored flocking.

P4161358-vi.jpg

P4161360-vi.jpg

Next I moved to the dash.......not a lot of detail here. I did punch out some clear lenses for the gauges with a heavy duty hole puncher. The color is pretty much the same as the exterior of the car.

I just held the airbrush back a bit to give the surface more of a vinyl look. The bottom half of the dash was painted with Alclad Aluminum. I also added a turn signal lever to the steering column. Looks like I need to touch up the edges just a smidge..............

P4231362-vi.jpg

P4231363-vi.jpg

Here's the mostly completed interior.........I have to add a few small details such as the shift lever knob and emergency brake handle to the console.

P4231364-vi.jpg

P4231366-vi.jpg

Also the trunk needs the dual batteries installed yet. I'll dress 'em up a bit with some battery cables and clamps.

The front seats were also kinda fussy...............I modified the hinges slightly so the seats swing forward without coming off the seat bottoms. The rear shelf area was gloss coated as the 1:1 looks to be done this way too.

P4231367-vi.jpg

I need to now focus on the door panels.......since they were cut away from the door jambs to make the doors more realistic, I have to reconstruct some of which was broken when this was done.

Okay.............on a personal note...............besides being moved around different shifts to train people at work (that wreaks havoc on building) my Mom the other day suffered a mild heart attack. So if you don't hear from me in regards to this update in a while...........that's what's been going on.

As I type this my Mom is going in for a heart catheterization so when she gets discharged (barring any unforeseen problems), she'll need things done around the house that she won't be able to do for awhile.

So between my home and her home (she lives about 6 miles from me) I'm gonna be pretty busy. My sister who lives in North Carolina (and works out of her home) may come to visit for a couple weeks to help out.

Hopefully, I can get this done by this time next month, but with what's been goin' on lately, that may not come to be.

Thanks for lookin' and stay tuned!

Bill,

Glad to see you have the priorities right. Take care of your mom and say hello from all of us. We wish a happy and full recovery. Styrene will be waiting for you. After all, it has a shelf life of about 500 years :P

Thanks,