Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Old Reliable 62 Chevy Bel Air S/S

Car Crazy 81

Heres another factory experimental racer that im working on its Dave Strickler's 62 Bel Air that he raced in the 62-63 season and good ol' "Grumpy" Bill Jenkins built & tuned up.

Heres the 1:1 car that im replicating.

803837941_ca9a03d0ee.jpg

Heres the build im working on. I'd started with the frame i'd painted the frame with Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer to replicate the red oxide undercoating and masked off the centersection of the frame and used Rust-Oleum Textured Black and also painted the suspension with the same textured black.

ModelCars081.jpg

ModelCars082.jpg

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

Nice project, these old X-frame Chevys are nice! But that Dave Strickerl's Impala was Super Stocker if I remember right... But it doesn't matter, yourbuild is great and keep on posting! EDIT: on the side of that car, there seems to be S/SS so this one is really Super Stock.

• 4 weeks later...

ModelCars105.jpg

This is a great kit. Ive built a few 409 model cars. The headers dont look correct for a 409 car. Were they with the kit? My real street car had a set of orignal stahl 2 piece that wrapped over the frame and exited behind the rear wheels. Surprised me that they never leaked! I had a 61 Belair that never got finished before it was sold................long ago. Drew

Drew- The headers came with the kit and thanks for the tip about the headers. I just hate to cut out the section of the fenderwells for the correct headers. Im not necessarily looking for accuracy on this build im more focused on as far as accuracy goes is the exterior of the car. And again thanks for the tip.