Model Cars Magazine Forum

Subaru WRX STI

Jeff Johnston

I figure I'll start a thread on this. I am building this for a friend to replicate his 1:1 car. Its testing my modeling skills..specifically in the area of making decals. the Decals are printed on my ink jet on white paper. the lighter blue stripes had to be painted to look the right color. There are 2 Pink decals and the rally japan is tripled up to get the color correct. Ink jet on Testors film=very transparent decals. If I print the pink in clear, and put it on the blue, they look purple...

I scanned the decal from the Tamiya kit and the color changes in photoshop...with at least 10 hours of pixel by pixel sharpening of the image, since the scan has WAY less detail than the actual decal.

In the end this will take 3 kits to make this car.

Started here

DSCF0741.jpg

Painted the lighter blue shadow stripes and outlined the Subaru Stars

DSCF0742.jpg

More decals

IMG_8796.jpg

the real car...this is not your off the showroom floor Subaru. This has 450 HP to the wheels...its a monster.

newestpics001-1.jpg

Jeff, I bought this kit about 2 years ago, when it came out as a die-cast(Loved the fact that it was Pre-painted!) It went together SO easily an well, I told myself I'd buy another if it came out in plastic. It has, but NOW i CAN'T FIND ANY!!! Oh well, I LIKE yours, an I'm DEFINATELY NOT a tuner fan, but I DO like nice lookin cars. It looks much better WITHOUT all the silly wings a spoilers an whatnot the kids put on them! I like YOURS!!!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Nice one I love the olor and everything still have to buy a WRX to

replace the one i forgot when i moved it had some bad paint and

i was cleaning it up went back and found they had trashed it with

some junk they waned to sell. oh well it was missing a wheel anyway

and the decals wer trashed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...