Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cranky's Tissue Paper Upholstery & Headliner Quicky

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the input.

The decals on the body are HO Railroad decals you can order to use on box cars . . . they are perfect in HO scale to be used on 1/24th cars. I am pretty sure if you have artistic inclinations you can draw them on there with ink pens, etc . . .

As with all decals, I always airbrush a little FUTURE CLEAR, let it dray, apply the decals smooth, and then seal them in with a bit of Dullcoat. Works very well.

To answer the question about the tarp. If you make the tarp over Saran wrap, the tarp should be able to come off the body after it dries rock hard. You turn the tarp over and either remove the plastic wrap alltogether or you can trim it off with a pair of scissors.

I see the scratches on the body, is there a special way to do these or just put em in with whatever took you choose be it xacto or large grit sandpaper and then do a rust wash?

Good question. You can cut the head off a pin, and put it in a drill vise and just do subtle scratches . . . random, of course, and LESS IS MORE.

On this same note, what I have used is a razor saw. Just lay it on it's side at a slight angle and scratch the side or top of the body. That's the way I did my "Mule" Chevy pickup truck. I can post a pic if Virg doesn't mind. :DB) Dan

Hey Virgil Great job on this tutoiral this is a method Ive used for years and there are so many differant applications you can use it for. I even used it at one time to make lowrider biscut tuck. would really make the interior pop! thx for sharing like I ive said before YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Man i would love to see your application of the lowrider biscut, have been trying to replicate that look for years and have found nothing that has worked for me.

Cool stuff Cranky. I have yet to build a clunker with rust and all. I think one of the first cars I saw on this site was a junked PU truck and I loved it. I would find this , like you said to be stress release from the perfect show rod etc. One question. Do you buy a new kit and purposely do this or take one that your not satisfied with and go nuts on it. And if you buy one....buy a cheapy? I have got to do this. Great tutorial !!!

OK Virg, here goes. This is the result from using a rasor saw to scratch the sides of the body. Representing a rough ride thru the woods. :P

3f063cc6.jpg

Chevytruck8.jpg

You can see the scratches on the sides of the body in these two pics. Hope this helps ya a little. Dan

Evilone, it's very easy:

1: cover the unpainted body of your model with Saran Wrap.

2: Cut a piece of two-ply tissue paper to the size of tarp you desire.

3: place it over the plastic wrap.

4: put one drop of diluted white glue at a time until the tissue is wet and plyable.

5: wrinkle it and shape it to best suit your needs.

6: once you have it where you want it, let it dry overnight.

7: once dry, remove the plastic wrap and tarp from the body, it should be pretty firm.

8: remove plastic wrap or trim it until it's not vesible.

9: paint and weather to your taste

That's it, that simple. Give it a try and post pictures, please.

Evilone, it's very easy:

4: put one drop of diluted white glue at a time until the tissue is wet and plyable.

7: once dry, remove the plastic wrap and tarp from the body, it should be pretty firm.

Thanks for this post, and the time put into this thread. Will try this out sometime and post my results.

Evilone, it's very easy:

ok i'll work on one this weekend and will post pics of it

Can you use this method to make a body bag? I know its a wierd question but im looking to detail out my 64 crime scene wagon.

It should work. You just want to paint it glossy rather than flat, as body bags are generally rubber or plastic rather than canvas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ray, I would agree, you can use a round shape (in the right scale) and then moisten the tissue with the water/glue mixture and let it dry overnight. Once you pop the balloon the tissue should keep its shape and the balloon will not stick too bad to the tissue . . . give it a try, experiment, and please don't forget to post a couple of pictures of your results.

Since this is interiors by the good Dr Cranky..I used this same tecnique but instead of tissue, I printed and sized to scale some backrounds, put them together on one sheet and printed two copies on regular paper. I let it dry, gave it two mist coats of dullcoat and let it dry overnight.Next day I took my patterns and transfered them to my prints, cut out and applied with white glue and water.let dry trimmed things up and then painted over with Tamiya clear orange...Enough talkin...Thanks again Dr!!:P;) ;)

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg