Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cranky's Tissue Paper Upholstery & Headliner Quicky

Hello, folks, here's a quick and simple method of bringing more detail out of your ran and junker-clunker interiors.

All you need is a box of Kleenex and some white glue. Remember to primer your parts regardless so that the glue has something to grip on to . . .

You can also begin with a painted interior foundation as I have done here:

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

The beauty of this technique is that you can build up the wrinkles and this will be a mistake-free process . . . you cant wrinkles in case you really want to tear it up as I have done on the seats. Working carefully with a pair of tweezers, you simply cut the tissue to size (again, you don't have to have perfect measurements) and then use a little bit of diluted glue to begin the process.

While everything is still wet, you can move the tissue around until you achieve the look you are after . . .

Notice how the headliner has been torn (excessively so since this one is a junkyard jewel! LOL!)

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

The tissue will dry rock-hard over night, which will then offer the perfect canvas for either airbrushing or brush-painting your colors on . . .

IMG_9-vi.jpg

Once you get the paint on there the way you like it, then the trick is to cover up your mistakes (if you think you made any) with other bits of graphics and details . . . like this:

IMG_3-vi.jpg

The final process will include more airbrushing (to fog on dust) and the use of pastel chalks . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

IMG_6-vi.jpg

Remember, this is yet another stress-free technique, so have fun . . . besides when the whole thing is built up all you want to do is to imply and suggest to the viewer that the interior matches the ravages of nature, inside and outside:

IMG_6-vi.jpg

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

At this point you can also cover up some of the rips with small pieces of take, or have a bit of cotton sticking out of the cracks . . . anything to keep up the layers of verisimilitude!

Here's some of what you will be able to see of the interior, but you will know how much detailing and love went into it, right?

IMG_0009-vi.jpg

A bit of Dremel work on the dashboard will go a long ways from this angle . . . again, you just want to imply and suggest, . . .

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

Again, the objective is to fool the eye and really have the interior match the outside of your vehicle . . . and you know that Cranky likes to overdoit, so you have a better chance of getting yours to look just right, or at least the way you want it . . . :P

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

Who is sane enough to have a vehicle like this, right?

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

You see how the shredded headliners comes through in this picture? . . .just a hint of nature's work. Real or not, it does add yet another layer.

IMG_7-vi.jpg

You can utilize the same method of Kleenex and white glue to create a realistic looking tarp . . .

Before you paint the model, you cover it with Saran wrap, then you take your Kleenex (I keep the two-ply) and you cut it to size and place it over the plastic wrap, then with an eye-dropper begin to wet the paper with diluted white glue . . .

IMG_0018-vi.jpg

Using tweezers, you wrinkle it and set it up in the shape you desire . . . in this case I am using the tarp on a Nova body . . ..

Soak the tissue enough, but if it gets drenched, don't worry, it will only dry even harder and better! But it will take a bit more time than just over night . . .

IMG_0017-vi.jpg

Once it is dry, you can trim it to size along the bottom edges, tear it, do whatever you want to it. It will have dried in the form of the body. You can removed the plastic wrap easily and then you can paint the tarp to your liking:

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

The weathering process is simply, just some dirt and dust and other details . . .

IMG_8-vi.jpg

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

Awesome job! I especially like your weathering and wear on the tires. So many junkers and clunkers overlook this. Looks like you got a whole lotta miles on them guys along with some alignment issues.

I'm still trying to figure out a convincing way to make flats and convincing tire bulges. I thought about trying to heat the tire slowly in an oven to a bit under melting temp and then press them on the edge where the flat spot would need to be. Has anyone tried this?

One other question:

I see the scratches on the body, is there a special way to do these or just put em in with whatever took you choose be it xacto or large grit sandpaper and then do a rust wash?

Edited by torinobradley

Thanks, yes, recreating flat tires is a bit difficult. I've tried experiments with heat, etc . . . but I am convinced that perhaps the best results are acheived by cutting a segment of the tire and then using epoxy (green stuff in the Warhammer World) and sculpting the flat rubber around the tire.

I always like to bury my tires and that seems to solve "flat" issues! LOL!

Hey Virgil Great job on this tutoiral this is a method Ive used for years and there are so many differant applications you can use it for. I even used it at one time to make lowrider biscut tuck. would really make the interior pop! thx for sharing like I ive said before YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Guest snapper

Thanks Cranky for these tutorials. I think that's a good point about simply wanting to "imply and suggest". You have put forth a lot of creativity too in your extra touches too, such as the birds nest - great!