Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ecto 1A Ghostbusters II

Artisticndn

This is going to be my "screen accurate" Ecto 1A from Ghostbusters II. I first started off test-fitting the pieces, especially the fins so that they would match up to the rear bumper and tail fin trim. Next I started working on the rims and white lettering around the tires. I'm sure I'll need a second coat on the rims, but they're good enough right now for a "mock-up". Finally I worked on the front grille, giving it a wash in flat black. Any questions or comments, or to just critique is welcome.

post-6623-1280441405642_thumb.jpg

post-6623-1280441800545_thumb.jpg

I'm still working on how to post pics and photobucket...UGH!!! Anyway, I hope these stay up here this time. I got the fins painted and the underside painted a flat black. Currently I'm working on the foil and I have a friend of my designing some screen accurate decals. More pics to come!! (hopefully)

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Hey I have to say it's looking good. I don't know how you can do that much foil so fast. My hands get tired to fast and my mind wanders and I want to do other things cause I feel like I'm driving across Texas. The feeling like I'm getting no where fast :lol: I'll be honest with you at first I was a little mad someone else started one when mine was on the bench then I saw it was you that gave the links for the pictures. Then I realised the builds are cool like you said to compare and such. I just wish I could build that fast :P How did you do the raised white letters.?

Well I definately wasn't trying to steal your thunder by putting another Ecto on the workbench. :P As a matter of fact I'm pretty new to this board. I was on another site but there wasn't much action over there so I decided to post here. I hope I didn't committ a posting faux pas by posting another Ectomobile. I just saw yours and got inspired to work on mine that had been sitting in the closet for quite some time. I figured we could build at the same time and "jump through hoops" and help each other. I have no secrets or tricks when it comes to building models. The foil took me hours!!! It took me two evenings off and on to do the foil. The raised white letters were done in acrylic paint. I just took a small fine artist brush and just "wiggled" the brush over the raised letters, which took many tries, but I eventually got it. I have some touch-ups on my foil too before I spray clear to hold it down. I haven't even started on the roof which I think is where I'm really going to slow down. I plan to add small details like decals and wires for all the lights. I also plan to detail the interior with decals along with the magazines and newspapers that featured the Ghostbusters in the first movie. Just extra stuff like that can take time...so feel free to ask anything at anytime!

Edited by Artisticndn

Your good in my book my friend :( On mine I got the foil done today minus the door handles. I struggled with the hood emblem a bit and may redo it. I have to admit that Mine is kinda sloppy on the inside where the foil wraps around. Do you have any advice on making that stick better or will a clear coat hold it in place? I can hear the windows screeching a bit going in for mock up. Tomorrow: Finish foil and decals for me to clear and let it sit while I start inside. Yours is looking really nice. I like the idea your heading in with the rack too. I'm watchin :)

Thanks fellas! I did have some trouble with the foil sticking and mine overlapped on the inside too. I trimmed the foil back on the inside of the car, but I didn't spray it with clear. I just sprayed the exterior of the car in clear to hold down all the foil. I'm thinking that once I install the glass, it will hold it down pretty well. I just have to figure out a good way to tint the windows. I have a few ideas I'm toying with but I'll see if they work first before I say what's good or not. Trial and error!

A small update on Ecto1A. I've now coated the car with 3 or 4 coats of clear. In the process I added a wash of flat black to the door jambs and fender skirt to help them stand out a little more. Hopefully this weekend I'll get around to painting the rear bumber and get some work done on the roof equipment.

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture023.jpg

I was a little indecisive about the windows as well. I wasn't sure how I was even going to do them. I masked off everything and painted the windows from the inside. I know it's going to hide a lot of the interior details, but I figure when someone gets up close to it and looks between the tint and sees all the detail inside completed as well, I think it's going to make for an interesting model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...