Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Exotics_Builder

I am converting this to US Spec and a later model with the clear roof. Also changing the seat upholstery. Still deciding on diamond pattern versus Daytona style seats. Right now I’m leaning on Daytona style.

I’ve corrected some of the exterior, including the lips around the wheel wells which were too thick. I also glued the body to the frame and then used an UMI razor saw to separate the body so I have a cleaner body side sill.

100_3056.jpg

Stay tuned for more.

I also vote for Rosso Fiorano. It's much nicer than Rosso Corsa. Blue NART would be nice too. I saw an F355 this weekend in a blue that I've never seen before, it was a medium irridescent cobalt blue with a slight violet pearl flop in direct light, it was called Azzuro Monaco. I need to get some of that paint for something, it was a beautiful color; subtle but bold, and not the "expected" shade of blue. Blue TDF would be nice too.

Beware of chassis fit, especially at the back. Also the fit of the interior around the back, there's some problems with the package shelf hitting the recessed window channel. Hood hinge is also problematic for allowing the hood to fit snugly. Many hoods are warped.

Will be nice to see this version; I took the easy way out and just painted the top center black and kept the seats with the stock configuration. Now that you can get online to Ferrari's configurator, you can create the exact scheme you want to see on your (model or car).

I seriously can't believe that Bob chose a red over the other colors. Hang on a sec............

O.K. I would go with the Blu Nart myself. It's a pretty color and other colors will accent well with it.

Sheesh, red....

Chris

I seriously can't believe that Bob chose a red over the other colors. Hang on a sec............

Sheesh, red....

Chris

Shocking, isn't it? :)

My "anything but red" Ferrari stance is really "anything but Rosso Corsa/Rosso Scuderia" :);)

Get away from the "I look like I'm molded in red styrene and clearcoated" "resale red" aka Rosso Corsa, Ferrari's iridescent reds transform the cars. You should see Rosso Fuoco in person...it is amazing. It's also about 20K extra.

I've seen a stunning Scuderia in Rosso Mugello, a slightly darker/cooler shade of red vs. Rosso Corsa, looking more "serious", without being as dark as Rosso Barchetta, also a killer shade of dark red.

• 4 months later...

I’ve finally had a chance to get back to this. For a while, I was going to pass on the 612, and move on to the 599 GTB. Then I thought since I had the kit and some PE for it, I should get at it. I got started on this early in 2010 and then family and work issues slowed me down. I am just getting back at it in the last month.

The kit is the basic Revell of Germany 612 Scaglietti which represents a pre-2007 model, primarily of European specification. There are some decals for US spec, but they need to be augmented. I made some body mods to the wheel arches to reduce the lip area (an issue noted by other builders). To help in painting and if any warping occurs, I decided to glue to body to the chassis and then separate the body sides from the chassis. In the engine bay, I stripped the chrome and glued in the engine compartment shroud and top sides. I also decided to keep the tree part in the front window area to add bracing while I worked on the model.

100_3056.jpg

You may also notice the roof panel is gone. I decided I was going to do this as a 2008-9 model and US Spec. As best as I can determine, the Electrochromic roof appeared in 2007. I decided I would try my hand at doing this. Also the 2008-9 models have air filter boxes like the 599 and the steering wheel has the 599 type mode controls. I “robbed†an extra Revell 599 GTB for the parts and will adapt to the kit.

Here are the basic aftermarket parts along with the first priming of the body (Tamiya Gray Primer).

100_4386.jpg

100_4387.jpg

The body will need more cleaning up and I will start laying out the clear top. I have some clear styrene for forming.

100_4388.jpg

100_4390.jpg

100_4389.jpg

As you can see, the hood is lying flat (a problem often seen on this kit). It took a little sanding of some high points and I will need to watch as the paint gets applied. I also cut out the seat centers and will either do a Daytona or Diamond insert pattern. Right now I am thinking a Daytona seat pattern.

For the engine air boxes, the Revell 599 is not quite correct, and will need modification.

100_4392.jpg

I will sand off the incorrect detail, add Evergreen strip for the correct ribbing. For the interior, I will fix the steering wheel light system that is not on the 612 and also add a Bose system with Navigation Screen and rear camera.