Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your favorite way to black wash parts

I'd love to hear some tips on how everyone blacks out their grilles or other items where the raised areas need to remain chrome or painted. Just wondering what product/method everyone likes to use. I had always used thinned black enamel with pretty good results. I recently tried the same with thinned water based Tamiya paint thinking it would be easier to remove if I messed up but wasn't thrilled with the results. I have also read on this forum that some people use a product called "the Detailer". Then I have also heard people say to use India ink. So the question is.....what does everyone like best?

Thinned Tamiya semi gloss or flat black (depends on where I'm using it).

I've also used the water from my brush cleaning after I left it out to evaporate a bit so it was more concentrated (or thin some of the bottom sludge)...good for grimy engines and chassis!

I use "Black Wash" from Citadel paints (they make water based acrylic paint mainly for the fantasy gamer end of the hobby. (By the way - their color "Tin Bits" works beautifully as a base color for slightly burnt in exhaust manifolds.) It's basically black India Ink. The reason I use it is that it's totally water based, and will not strip the clear lacquer off plated parts that solvent based paints can do. If I'm not happy with the results, I simply wash it off in the sink, and redo it. I find that it may take two or three applications to get the desired result. After it is semi dry, I wipe down the plated part to highlight the chrome sections. Only drawback is when dry, it has a slight gloss sheen, so on a model like a '57 Ford grille with relatively large spaces to be done in black, it might not suit you. Next '57 Ford, I'm grinding out the grille!

Edited by Jim Gibbons