Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW?? Revell/Monogram Parts Packs

I think those were issued around '98 or '99. I missed out on them at the time, too, but they seem to turn up quite a bit on eBay and e Model Cars. I've got all of them except the Chevy- they're all very nice engines!

(Well, except the Chevy, which is underscale. And a Chevy... :huh::rolleyes::D )

The tip-off is the "Revell Monogram" branding...my recollection is that was a late '90s/early 2000s thing, but I could be wrong. Regardless, they date from that short time when they put both names on some boxes. For what it's worth I think they did 4 engines Chevy small block, 421 Poncho, 427 Ford and I think the 4th was a Mopar...and they were from "Revell" tooling, not "Monogram."

I have the set of four. Copyright on the package states 1998. They are as follows:

85-7251 Chevy 283

85-7252 Cadillac 354

85-7253 Pontiac 421

85-7254 Ford 427

I have the set of four. Copyright on the package states 1998. They are as follows:

85-7251 Chevy 283

85-7252 Cadillac 354

85-7253 Pontiac 421

85-7254 Ford 427

He's correct- 1998 copyright date, right around the time 'Revel-O-Gram' was using both names. Great engines... well, not so much the Chev! :P

The Chevy 283,the Pontiac 421,the Ford 427 & the Cadillac 354 are the re-releases I have from the mid-90's.

Back in the day (the 60's)I believe Revell also had an injected Buick ,a blown Chrysler & the Dream Car Turbine engine.

Its funny to see those .69 and .70 prices on the old boxes...the 60's ones usually go for close to $ 20.00 each now.

The extremely slow sales of those 4 revell/ monogram engine packs are the

reason the parts pack motorcycle kits were never reissued.( as mentioned in another thread )

Revellogram in their infinite wisdom chose to issue the engines before the bikes.

The buzz from modelers was that the reissued parts packs would sell like crazy. So

hobby shops and distributors ordered lots of these for us hungry modelers, then they sat and sat

on the shelves. ( I've seen guys unloading the engine kits for $2 bucks at some shows.) When it

came time for revellogram to get pre-orders for the bike kits, hobby shop owners and distributors were

still sitting on all of the extra engine kits, they had heard would sell so well, and didn't orderthe

bike kits. I believe if the manufacturer had put out the bikes before the engines things may have been

different. But, That's just might rambling on it.

Rick in Richmond

They were also released in Yellow and Blue Packaging

pp.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the Blue package showing the released kits and the promise of more

ppback.jpg

I remember ~ a year after they came out you could get them for $ .25 from the discount bin because they cost 1/2 the price of a complete car kit and many then were 2 or 3 in 1 so everyone had extra engines, tires wand wheels.

Ed