Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Gauges

This tutorial will show you how to make custom guages to fit under the dash of your car.

Here is what you will need,

A index card

Hobby Knife

a peice of part tree

a sharpie

a pair of scissors

and a jar of Testors plastic cement.

104_0317.jpg

First, You will need to make your gauge pattern on the index card.

104_0318.jpg

Next, You will need to cut out the pattern from the index card.

104_0320.jpg

Then, You will need to cut a peice of the part tree to the lenght of on side of the gauge pattern. (2 times)

Finally, Glue the two peices of part tree that we just cut to the gauge pattern.

Here is what mine looked like after all the steps shown here,

104_0321.jpg 104_0322.jpg

Optoinal: You can paint it, add decals,whatever!

I think what Brandon is getting at is this is a "easy" way to add accessory gauges under the dash.

HOWEVER, I always use the flat stock that is on most parts trees, sanded into shape with decals applied. Much easier, more sturdy, and the thickness is *a little* closer to 1:1.

What in the world do ya'll not get about this tutorial? :D

The subjects of the pictures are so small and out of focus that it's impossible to see what's going on here. Maybe better pictures will clear up everyone's confusion.

Edited by sjordan2

The subjects of the pictures are so small and out of focus that it's impossible to see what's going on here. Maybe better pictures will clear up everyone's confusion.

If you click on the picture you get the full size image. But bigger pictures still don't explain what he's trying to do here... at least not to me.

Brandon relax, there's no reason to take it so personal hun. I sort of see what you're trying to explain, but maybe this will help. In your tutorial, try to write it exactly step by step, like you're trying to teach someone who has absolutely no idea when it comes to models. Pretend that they have never touched a model car, and take it slow. Sometimes that helps, so that you are detailed and cover all the bases?

Okay, I based my statement about fuzziness according to picture 3, below, which I picked at random. I also discovered that I have to click twice to blow up an image to its maximum. But I've gotta tell ya, I still don't know what I'm looking at – and apparently, neither do other people.

Picture1.png

Picture1a.png

Picture3-1.png

Picture4-1.png

PS: Nicely stated, Michelle. Nobody's trying to dump on this thread, just trying to help.

Edited by sjordan2

When I think of "custom guages(sic) to fit under the dash of your car" I, and I'm guessing most everyone else who's reading this, think of something like this:

pic001-vi.jpg

pic002-vi.jpg

pic003-vi.jpg

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it in what you've got there.

That is exactly what I am going for! I said in the steps "Your own design" Make it however you want it to look.

ok, I see what they are supposed to be. Imagine the plastic rods a little bit closer together, and the flat face of them can be detailed as aftermarket gauges. If you cut the rods lengthwise into a "wedge" shape, this could also be made into a sort of under dash compartment for sunglasses, change, a road map, etc. Think of the finished product as an upside down Mopar "Air Grabber" hood scoop door.....