Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Pontiac mild custom

Chas SCR

Here is some thing I just got done last month. A 48 Pontiac converted from the 48 Chevy kit. It has a Kitchens straight 8 motor and the factory PPG 1949 color as this combo was not released till late 48. I did not add to the front end or even did the X chassis to it but it was only for more of a shelf model for my uncle that had his first car back.

Dscf0322-vi.jpg

Dscf0321-vi.jpg

Dscf0320-vi.jpg

Thanks Mark, Ya it was not my choice of color. The blue was nice and its factory Blue Lake Blue and the Gray is Oyster Gray.. what was real bad was trying to get the gray from PPG.. This is a Miltary owned color and still have the rights to it, The do not even let you have the color code or even the PPG Store here could have the code. They program the computer mixer from there main computer and then it was mixed. What is even worse was that you could only get this in a qrt size and you can only by a qrt a day if you was doing a full size car it would take a little more time.

The trim was added to the sides and hood, trunk. The rear and front bumpers was reworked as good as I could get them. The front grill was redone to have the extra little part put in between the two upper bars. The dash was rewored and had to be cut and parts moved around. The rear tail lights was machined by me. The motor is a kitchens straight 8 motor. the exhaust had to be re-ran on the other side so the cross had to be reworked. Also if you look close you can see the Pontiac front side window flar's. The only trim parts I could not do was the hood firecheif part and the scrip on the side of the hood. The front of the hood does have the Pontiac design put in.

The pics are to show the front hood trim that has the pontiac section in it.

P1000806-vi.jpg

P1000811-vi.jpg

DSCF0226-vi.jpg

The next pics are the grill parts.

Dscf0100-vi.jpg

Dscf0133-vi.jpg

Dscf0320-vi.jpg

From the first pic on the grill to the car being done you can see I removed the outter bars also. This help open up the gril even more. The dash was a little easy'er but had to have the radio pulled out and put on top of the middle part instead of how the chevys had it. Also I gone ahead and machine and replaced the clock and speedo gauge. The Interior was done in the same color as the real car was.

here is the link to all the work I did on it. I'm in the middle right now doing one the right way and having the front end longer and hood longer.

http://public.fotki.com/Streetrodcustom/customs/gsl/1948-pontiac/1948-pontiac/

Chas, nice work on the conversion!

I didn't realize metallic paints existed in '49. I did a quick search and found the paint codes here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1949-pontiac-pg01.jpg

Which includes the mystical gray.

So, I'm confused.

Steve

Great info Steve....

The color on the model looks nothing like those paint samples.

The blue paint on the model above, looks to have more like a custom metallic blend to me.

It seemed too "flashy" to be an old 1949 color. Judging from the paint guide, the factory blue had more gray in it and no metal flake. Oh well, the model still looks decent with the metallic blue Chas used..

Thanks for sharing those paint chips and website....I like the Rio red. Might have to use that on one of my projects....Jeff

Edited by J. Sauber

“This is a Miltary owned color and still have the rights to it, The do not even let you have the color code or even the PPG Store here could have the code.â€

You should have checked the Federal Standard guide (F.S.) for that “military colorâ€. All “military†colors are assigned an F.S. number and the book is readily available to civilians, as it is in the public domain since the military is funded by our tax dollars… Just ask someone who builds airplane models. Testors may even have the color in their military line of paints.

All “military†colors are assigned an F.S. number and the book is readily available to civilians, as it is in the public domain since the military is funded by our tax dollars… Just ask someone who builds airplane models.

Here's a link to the F.S. cross references on line: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_fs.htm

Remember all monitors display colors differently so your resilts may vary.

|s| A closet airplane builder.

The color's are a 48 late color its oyster gray/ blue lake blue I have the paint code numbers and what they told me on the miltary stuff was from the ppg store here.

For being a metalic that is also what it said on the paint chip book at ppg. There is two different code numbers for the two colors as the gray was not offered in by its self in the book plus the blue has a different number once it is in two tone.

Steve, The book you are looking at is not a 48, that is 49 chip sheet. The 48 has two pages and the one has list of just all two tones on them. For being metalic

The paint code numbers I use was right from Pontiac dealer booklet that my uncle had..

Once my uncle gets home I will go over and get the book that has the paint numbers in it and scan them in for you. For being a Miltary color that was right from the PPG guys here. They may be blowing smoke but at the same time on the print out of the mix the numbers was blacked out.

Brian, Yes it is a Galxie kit.

J, thank you, I ask them three times once they mixed it if that was right for the 4808 number. And they told me yes that is what the machine mixed up. I also ask my uncle if that even looked like the right shade of blue and the met is really not that heavy.. Under the sun it you can see it but in the shade and just inside the house it does not really show up.

Steve I did go to that web site and just looked around and also a few more. There was a few metalic paints out but not comapre to what we think is a metalic paint of today. Plus the clear I used was a urethane clear and that makes it look even brighter then it was when I shot the paint.

I know GM was experimenting with metallics in the early 50's on their "dream cars," concepts, and Motorama cars, but I didn't think they used metallics in production cars until the mid 50's, and then fairly limited to Cadillacs.

I'm real sure they never used urethane clears in the 40's or 50's.

Steve, The book you are looking at is not a 48, that is 49 chip sheet. The 48 has two pages and the one has list of just all two tones on them. For being metalic

Chas, I'm just relying on what you said in your opening post: "and the factory PPG 1949 color as this combo was not released till late 48"

And the link I provided does open the 1949 page. I don't know what you are looking at.

If you are relying upon the paint store employee for replica information I'd find a more reputable source.

The paper work I have says its a 48 colors.. I may mis understud him on also being able to get it in 49.. We did not have to look at the 49 page. The 2nd page only had 6 colors with 3 sets of two tone. One was a dark green with like a cream white, Yellow/black and the other was this.. But when you go look at the single color page it did not list the gray even being on it. Now I did not take intrest in if the other 4 colors was the same way on being single. I do not go to them for nothing at that store. I was hoping it could have been a Du Pont color but it was not.. The people here at the PPG place is very non help full people.

Guest Markus355
I'm real sure they never used urethane clears in the 40's or 50's.

you're right there. nitrocellulose lacquers only up till at least 1957...

(my family owns the following, 1934 Chevrolet Master cabriolet, 1936 maple leaf 2 ton dump truck, 1937 GMC half ton, 1937 chevy panel, 1952 chevy 2 door with the ORIGINAL paintm,, and a 1957 chevy belair)

I know they did not use urethane clears.. That is not a factory built car.. This was built as a model of what he wanted of the car some what he had back in 58 as his first car. This was not to show on what a factory car looks or even comes off the floor as.

I do not build factory stuff and the three main guys that have posted on here can even tell you that.

Steve, the PPG # for the paint code are,

Blue Lake Blue Metalic #4808

Oyster Gray #4809

There is a another Blue that was on the single paint sheet that is not the same and its also not called the same color blue.

For the Gray its as gray as primer when you look at it in the can and after shooting it. Light gray.

Steve, the PPG # for the paint code are,

Blue Lake Blue Metalic #4808

Oyster Gray #4809

There is a another Blue that was on the single paint sheet that is not the same and its also not called the same color blue.

For the Gray its as gray as primer when you look at it in the can and after shooting it. Light gray.

Ok, Chas, I can find the referenced colors on the '48 sheet instead of the '49 sheet.

All I'm saying is that the paint on the model is no where close to the paint chips. If you are happy and your uncle is happy then we're all happy.

Ok, Chas, I can find the referenced colors on the '48 sheet instead of the '49 sheet.

All I'm saying is that the paint on the model is no where close to the paint chips. If you are happy and your uncle is happy then we're all happy.

I'm happy. And the oysters are happy. B)