Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag Racing Decals

Hi I have not posted here in a while and I hope this is not breaking any rules by posting this. I work with Rick Lucas in "Decals By Lucas" its a relatively new decal company we just updated the web site with a bunch of new items here is a link to the site and all the items we will be adding a bunch more within the next 10 days. Also if you have already built something using our decals and have any pics I would really like to get them and add them to our builders gallery section.. Anyway here is the link. http://decalsbylucas.comMy link

OK I will be ordering. You guys only just did one of my holy grails on the 1969 year page. The Gratiot Auto Supply RR. Now take that art work and make the Dart that Ron Mancini ran in the 70's and you guys are my heros. That is the car I have been wanting to build and been waiting from the new Hemi dart to come out, for.

MANCIN_2.jpg

Then wile your at it. Hear is another one you could knock out.

GratiotSSFA.jpg

All using close to the same art work.

Matt

i'm with Matt on the two Gratiot cars he posted pics of :) i believe that there was a red version of the Dart too.

Dave

I just talked to Rick Lucas the Gratiot Dart will be done, look for it with in the next couple of months or sooner also we will do all the red you will only have to paint the body the base yellow all the other art work will be on the decals just like the Roadrunner...

here is a pic of the red car or red version, not sure if it was the same car as the yellow one or not.

hemidartgratiotreplica.jpg

Dave

Thanks Dave we are looking at the pic I don't know if Rick will do it but it does stand a chance now that we have info on it Gratiot ran a lot of cars and they are some nice people we did not know about this car would you have a pic of the side or back end???

there is a pretty good 3/4 side-front view picture of the red car in the Hot Rod magazine Hemi Power special issue and there is an article in the March '07 issue of Mopar collectors guide that shows some other views of the original car and the current replica/clone.

i think the yellow version is a bit better looking myself but either one would be welcome.

Dave

Yes it is we are going to do the yellow car that does not have the strobe completely over the roof I just put the pic on the web site in the coming soon section we may do the other one as well. I will check to see if we could get both options on the same sheet but that would be a lot more work so I don't know if that will be done but like I said the Yellow Dart we have pictured on the site now will be done..

I just wanted to give an update on the Gratoit Auto Supply Dart. Patrick the artist that does the artwork for Rick Lucas has checked the pictures for the car and said he will have the art ready very soon perhaps next week we will then be able to do the printing and testing to make sure everything is correct so if everything works out OK I will add it and several others already done for the Hemi Dart to the web site about 9-10. Also we are always looking for more people that have built cars using our decals to add to the sites Builders Gallery section so if you do build something with our decals please get some pics and send them to us..

if you guys do decide to do the Gratiot Challenger will those decals be for the Monogram based 1/24 scale kit or the Revell diecast based 1/25 scale kit?

Dave

At this point the Challenger is not one we are looking at, if we did decide at some point to do it we would look at the different kits available at that time and decide which one we would design the decals for right now everything we have is for 1/25th. We have lots more items coming out before the first of the year and beyond so keep checking the website We have Dealers and we will soon add a PayPal option right on the web site as well. So get the orders coming in if you have any ideas or questions email me direct so I can get to it right away..

This is just great news. I am looking forward to getting these decals. Are these Alps printed Decals? If they are, are they backed with a white underlay?

Here are a couple of pics of the Gratiot Cuda.

1968PlymouthBarracudaRonMancini6.jpg

Montrose.jpg

Here is what I think is the END of the yellow Gratiot Dart This was at the US Nats in 76.

ManciniIndycrash76-2.jpg

This was it just before the wreck.

ronmanciniDartburnout1975winternati.jpg

So you can see that there are two versions of the Yellow car. Not sure if it is the same car. I believe that Mancini Racing had a couple of Darts. Some ran in SS/A and some raning in Modified Production.

This is just great news. I am looking forward to getting these decals. Are these Alps printed Decals? If they are, are they backed with a white underlay?

Here are a couple of pics of the Gratiot Cuda.

1968PlymouthBarracudaRonMancini6.jpg

Montrose.jpg

Here is what I think is the END of the yellow Gratiot Dart This was at the US Nats in 76.

ManciniIndycrash76-2.jpg

This was it just before the wreck.

ronmanciniDartburnout1975winternati.jpg

So you can see that there are two versions of the Yellow car. Not sure if it is the same car. I believe that Mancini Racing had a couple of Darts. Some ran in SS/A and some raning in Modified Production.

That is the Dart we are doing there is a white underlay that is the first layer put down similar to the Cady decals. Have you seen the Larry Griffith Dart photos I put in the Prototype/testing section on the website I will be putting a couple more photos of it in Frank Luques Builders Gallery page. Remember with our decals all you have to do is paint the body one color the rest is decal. Rick just got the Judy Shahan Drag-On-Lady Dart decals printing back and for the first time is doing some testing using the white side panels over the dark blue body. You should see the Smith Struce Welsh striping that goes down the center of the car WOW. Oh we use several printers including Alps and commercial printing firms we have the bigger white areas printed by someone else. The Alps printers are no longer made and parts and repairs are almost impossible to get so we do not rely on the Alps we have a firm that prints for us..We have a very High Grade decal and frankly Alps will not give the all around quality using it alone for decals. The type of printing used depends on the decal being done for example the Jere Stahl 57 is a completely different system than the Shake Rattle and Run 57

That is the Dart we are doing.

We have a very High Grade decal and frankly Alps will not give the all around quality using it alone for decals.

So you are doing the MP car from the 76 U.S. Nats? (It also ran SS/A) That will work. Having the decal for the door is what is the most improtant to me. I can paint the red "Strobe" striping on the earlier SS/A car. I can use that red stripe decal on another SS Dart model. I am planning on getting a few sets and also the set for the Road Runner because I would like to do all of the Mancini Racing Yellow and Red "Gratiot" cars.

That is good to hear about your printing. I do not want to bag on alps printed decals. It was nice when they were around. They do have thier place. But I would rather not have Alps decals. I have see some done that are awesome and I have seen some that are not even as good as what I do on my ink jet.

Thanks and I will be keeping an eye on your web site.

Matt

Edited by dencon

OK it is ON!!! I just got the final piece of the puzzle I have been looking for to build an accurate replica of the Gratiot/ Ron Mancini SS/A Dart. So as soon as these decals are done. I will put in my order. I am going full on with this model. This is the model I have been waiting to build for years. Now the planets have aligned. This one will be full on detail and the one that I want to work on getting back east to the big shows with. This will be my best model ever.

Matt

Hi I have not posted here in a while and I hope this is not breaking any rules by posting this. I work with Rick Lucas in "Decals By Lucas" its a relatively new decal company we just updated the web site with a bunch of new items here is a link to the site and all the items we will be adding a bunch more within the next 10 days. Also if you have already built something using our decals and have any pics I would really like to get them and add them to our builders gallery section.. Anyway here is the link. http://decalsbylucas.comMy link

Can you have Rick contact me?

Thanks.

OK it is ON!!! I just got the final piece of the puzzle I have been looking for to build an accurate replica of the Gratiot/ Ron Mancini SS/A Dart. So as soon as these decals are done. I will put in my order. I am going full on with this model. This is the model I have been waiting to build for years. Now the planets have aligned. This one will be full on detail and the one that I want to work on getting back east to the big shows with. This will be my best model ever.

Matt

The decals are done they will be added late this week if testing goes correct

Edited by hemiman_1999

I ordered a set of decals from Mega Hobby since they take Pay Pal. I ordered the Frank Butler Osburn Trucking 64 Galaxie set. Since I clicked on your link I got a great idea on how to built my 64 Galaxie Pro Shop. Just gotta get a tear drop hood scoop now!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

If you can do the Ron Mancini Dart You would be my Hero's too I just bought 10 of the new 68 Hemi Darts. I was just going to hold on to them but NOW I know what my next projects will be.

Nice work

Here is a link to the Coming Products page http://decalsbylucas.com/Services.htmlthe car we we are doing is down towards the bottom it will be listed this week Rick is getting the first printing done for the initial inventory. I will update the Website Thursday or Friday we will also be adding Paypal to the site we have several new items including several sheets of "Mod Top" Vinyl top decals these will be big sheets and people will be able to get several tops as well as the interiors out of one sheet We have 2 of the 3 colors done and ready there will also be another Dart decal

I ordered a set of decals from Mega Hobby since they take Pay Pal. I ordered the Frank Butler Osburn Trucking 64 Galaxie set. Since I clicked on your link I got a great idea on how to built my 64 Galaxie Pro Shop. Just gotta get a tear drop hood scoop now!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

Thank You Sir