Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

new guy here......and I read all 8 pgs of this thread and have been fascinated with your work. too bad about the accident. looks like the job of a tornado. hope everyone survived! LOL

I'm in the process of starting a garage of my own. you gave me a lot of ideas for mine. thanks and I hope you get your garage repaired and "open for business" soon!

Kevin

.....since there's an upper floor and I'm basically starting over I decided to add a stair case. It will be on the left side going up over the service door. It will be a "c" channeled metal with grated treads. Ordered the channel from Plastruct and I'm going to make my own treads.....

0242.jpg

027.jpg

0262.jpg

......plan on added the electricl boxes and air lines to the rear wall before doing the beams and floor joists this time. Started on one of the main switch boxes.....

0302.jpg

0312.jpg

...feels really good to be back to work on this....more to come!

...thanks Chuck and Brad...I made a mold for the steps and got 2 so far. A rough calculation is about 14 that will be needed.

.....got the main disconnect box in white primer and did a mock-up......

0057.jpg

0066.jpg

...desided to add a fuse box to go with the disconnect. Used a picture of the old box I took out of my garage a few months back for reference....I'm going to try and detail the inside of the box close to that..

0077.jpg

0086.jpg

0095.jpg

..spent the afternoon working on the service panel...... I"ll make the door and weather it a bit before it gets permanently installed.....

0272.jpg

0253.jpg

..just in case someone is interested in progress photos I did take some pics as I went along....let me know and I'll post them......

Very glad to see this underway again. I work at a wastewater plant, and we've got a lot of old buildings. One of them is very similar to what you're doing. It had a huge metal spiral staircase that must have been fabricated in the '30s. I really like what you're doing here.

Very glad to see this underway again. I work at a wastewater plant, and we've got a lot of old buildings. One of them is very similar to what you're doing. It had a huge metal spiral staircase that must have been fabricated in the '30s. I really like what you're doing here.

....thanks Tom, like you I worked at a factory that had a lot of old buildings, most of which were built in 1911, and were still being used when I retired. For some strange reason I just loved working in those old structures. My memories of that place are what inspired this dio.

....I had even thought about making a spiral stair case but opted for the more traditional one.

You, sir, are crazy. I would never dream of working with those little wires. I think I would be interested in seeing the progress photos. What gauge wire did you use in there?

..John, more then one person has referred to me as crazy!..lol

...wiring the service panel was really an after thought, one of those details that's not commonly done. Just wanted to give it a shot. I didn't want to spend a ton of time on making it super detailed. You can definitely tell up close that the fuse block and ground bar are pictures. But from the normal viewing distance, a partially open door and stuck back in the corner, it will be one of those "oh, check that out" kinda effect. Which is what I'm basically looking for with this.

....the wires are about 24 gauge. Picked them up at Radio Shack a couple years back. The ground wires are 32 gauge brass wire I get at Hobby Lobby. The fuse block is 3 pieces of cut styrene sheet stock glued together. Made it to fit the cut out picture. The ground bar was made from 3/32 square stock sanded down to also fit the cut out. Once the blocks were made I drilled the hole for the wires. Then glued the blocks in place. Once they were dry I added the wires pretty much like the real thing. A bit time consuming but fun to try. I know that most panel boxes have a plate covering the wires but this one is going to be missing, or I might make one and set it on the floor like the panel is been worked on, we'll see.....

0144.jpg

0154.jpg

0163.jpg

...thanks John and Mike...(how have you been Mike?)...

...got my order from Plastuct so now I can move on the air and electrical lines plus the stairs. Started the air line that will go across the back wall.....

0194.jpg

0204.jpg

0213.jpg