Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

Looks great ! Just wondering....what size brick are you using for scale ? Standard brick measurements are 2 and 1/4" thick and 8" long. But there are different sizes in different countries. And different size bricks. What does yours measure out to. (scale wise) When I measure mine to scale, they seem to be much smaller than yours. Especially when I put them next to my scaled rock. Just wondering. Looks good...dont get me wrong. Soon................

...thanks Dominik...I'm hoping to have a "lucky" day next time I take it somewhere..lol

...thanks Michel...glad to have inspired you..be sure to post picks of your new project what ever it may be....

...Vaughn...the bricks average out to about 8x3 in 1/25 scale....I did some test runs on scrap foam pieces of various sizes and I just liked they way these looked.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

..thanks Hollywood Jim and Joe!

....Mark, the weathering was done with flat black and rust paints and powders. First I painted the brake assm. with flat black. Then used 3 different rust colors, dabbing them on with a stiff brush. For the grime I used Bragdon Powders. They come individually or in a multi-pack. The multi-pack has 12 different colored powders so you can achieve just about any effect you would like. Here's the address for the powders in case you want them or need more information.....www.bragdonent.com

Thanks so much man, I figured it had to be powders, but thought there may be something else. I just started using Vallejo powders recently, and really enjoy the results. I just have to get good at it! LOL

..thanks Hollywood Jim and Joe!

....Mark, the weathering was done with flat black and rust paints and powders. First I painted the brake assm. with flat black. Then used 3 different rust colors, dabbing them on with a stiff brush. For the grime I used Bragdon Powders. They come individually or in a multi-pack. The multi-pack has 12 different colored powders so you can achieve just about any effect you would like. Here's the address for the powders in case you want them or need more information.....www.bragdonent.com

• 3 months later...

Ya know Dan, I keep coming back to this over, and over, and over again, and again. This is amazing. It looks as if the damage may have been a good thing. As some of the improvements seem to have come from being forced to rebuild it. Your tips and guidence on how you constructed this have answered many questions that I had. So, in a short time I'm going to finally tackle a project that has been bouncing around in my head for the last few years.

It's builders such as yourself, Chuck Doan, Darryl Huffman and many more, as well as the efforts of Model Cars Magazine, and this great web-site that are an inspiration to a lot of us. Thanks!

By the way. I recently ordered some parts from you for a couple of builds that I'm working on, and as soon as I figure out on what I need for this "back alley" thing I'll be getting some more. You do some really nice castings! Thanks again, Mark

Thanks so much man, I figured it had to be powders, but thought there may be something else. I just started using Vallejo powders recently, and really enjoy the results. I just have to get good at it! LOL

...practice makes perfect and some really great looking effects!

Ya know Dan, I keep coming back to this over, and over, and over again, and again. This is amazing. It looks as if the damage may have been a good thing. As some of the improvements seem to have come from being forced to rebuild it. Your tips and guidence on how you constructed this have answered many questions that I had. So, in a short time I'm going to finally tackle a project that has been bouncing around in my head for the last few years.

It's builders such as yourself, Chuck Doan, Darryl Huffman and many more, as well as the efforts of Model Cars Magazine, and this great web-site that are an inspiration to a lot of us. Thanks!

By the way. I recently ordered some parts from you for a couple of builds that I'm working on, and as soon as I figure out on what I need for this "back alley" thing I'll be getting some more. You do some really nice castings! Thanks again, Mark

...thanks Mark, glad you got inspired to start that project that's been bouncing around....be sure to post pics!!

....started work on the dio again. Hope to have it ready for the Detroit show in a couple of weeks. Decided not to add the stair case, it really did look forced into the scene. I got most of the electrical conduit done and added the gas line and regulator to the overhead heater. Once the conduit is finished the structure it's self will be complete. The upper flooring is not permanent, so I can show it with or without it. I'll be adding all the interior details next, benches, tools..etc..

0107_zps00e97cd3.jpg

0117_zps5ebb8dec.jpg

• 2 weeks later...