Model Cars Magazine Forum

Momma's Grocery Getter updated 4/28

Steve Keck

Revell's California Wheels edition of the '66 Chevelle station wagon. It was suposed to be a quick build. Enough on that.

I've lowered the suspension as much as the kit tires and wheels allow. The hood scoops and tail lights have been Frenched in. The scripts have been removed.

The engine will get plug wires and an alternator bracket.

The interior will be a take-off of the outside colors.

I will spare you the usual "set the white styrene body on the kit wheels and tires" opening photo.

purple2.jpg

purple3.jpg

purple4.jpg

Paint is House of Kolor Violette Pearl over HOK white base coat on top and white pearl powder in HOK Intercoat Clear over the white base coat on the bottom. Two more coats of Intecoat clear were laid over the colorcoats and wet sanded with 2000 grit in preparation for the urethane gloss coat.

Edited by Steve Keck

Ya! Like I can top the Master! I'll just paste links to all your posts on the topic and call it good. No use reinventing the process.

You make me laugh.....even in a third world country!!!!!

Some may consider Kuwait first world, but with raw sewage running in the river behind my 5 star hotel, the aroma is something one must experience to get the full "flavor" of what I would say is a 3rd world at best.

David

How much pearl powder do you add by volume? I've got some Pearl-Ex colors but I haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

I scratch built (yes I can say it because it was one part McDonald's coffee stirrer and one part 1/8 inch ID styrene tubing cut about 1/8 long) a measuring spoon for consistency. One of these measures went into each airbrush cup of clear. I tested all the various pearls on base white (as white pearl was my first goal) shot on plastic spoons. My Tamiya airbrush cup is about half the volume of the Paasche VL cup. They're the only two I have for reference.

I ended up applying two coats of the clear carrier/pearl to acheive the results I wanted. It's not just a "by volume" equation.

I scratch built (yes I can say it because it was one part McDonald's coffee stirrer and one part 1/8 inch ID styrene tubing cut about 1/8 long) a measuring spoon for consistency. One of these measures went into each airbrush cup of clear. I tested all the various pearls on base white (as white pearl was my first goal) shot on plastic spoons. My Tamiya airbrush cup is about half the volume of the Paasche VL cup. They're the only two I have for reference.

I ended up applying two coats of the clear carrier/pearl to acheive the results I wanted. It's not just a "by volume" equation.

Cool, I'll make a spoon like that and play around with it when I get the chance. Was just looking for a starting point, I'm sure my mileage will vary!

A short status report - no pictures to post. Well I have pictures but I won't post them and confuse the issue. Seems that I have a stupid camera. What we see as purple, the camera sees as blue. White balance adjustments don't work, flash adjustments don't, using fluorescent or natural light doesn't change a thing. The pictures I posted previously were from a neighbor's camera. That camera is available Friday so I'll post new pictures then of the clear coat.

In the interim I'm going to build a clean room.

I love it when the spoons work!!

I bought Tamiya paint stirrers..metal one end in "spoon shaped" the other is flat. I mix my powder 1 spoon at a time and stir, Once the formula is set You can re mix over and over!<_<

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVU54&P=SM

Edited by MikeMc

OK, I had access to the neighbor's intelligent camera that recognizes purple.

Here are pictures with PPG three-part urethane. Some were taken in bright sunlight. Others were taken indoors with the camera flash.

I will use the UberMorton method of wait and then wait some more before cutting and buffing. In the interim I'll work on the interior and engine.

DSCN1451SK.jpg

DSCN1453SK.jpg

DSCN1455SK.jpg

DSCN1462K.jpg

DSCN14595K.jpg

• 5 months later...

Revell's California Wheels edition of the '66 Chevelle station wagon. It was suposed to be a quick build. Enough on that.

I've lowered the suspension as much as the kit tires and wheels allow. The hood scoops and tail lights have been Frenched in. The scripts have been removed.

The engine will get plug wires and an alternator bracket.

The interior will be a take-off of the outside colors.

I will spare you the usual "set the white styrene body on the kit wheels and tires" opening photo.

purple2.jpg

purple3.jpg

purple4.jpg

Paint is House of Kolor Violette Pearl over HOK white base coat on top and white pearl powder in HOK Intercoat Clear over the white base coat on the bottom. Two more coats of Intecoat clear were laid over the colorcoats and wet sanded with 2000 grit in preparation for the urethane gloss coat.

yeah! mom loves her purple :lol: looks great!!

As long as I'm allowed to log in here I thought I'd post a long over due update.

I started polishing the clear coat. Then I had to start another model.

DSC01704.jpg

I wanna know more about the Porsche! The graphics seem to complement the lines of the nose very well and the color selection is very eye catching!