Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need help with a lincoln engine

I have been searching for awhile and can't seem to find a good photo of the top of the 1928 lincoln flathead .I found some very nice photos of every angle except the top valley pan area I can't figure out where the intake is and where the cooling goes and also the exhaust . I want to use this engine on my tijuana taxi slightly modified but I am having trouble guessing, I would like it to be within in the realm of feasible.Your help is appreciated.

036.jpg

038.jpg

001-8.jpg

This may help. It is from the directions for the 1927 MPC Lincoln which is the same as the 1928.

DSC01554.jpg

Thanks Doug,the areas in question involve parts 11 12 13 which I believe to be the carb and intake but then where does the cooling system go?what I want to do is seperate carbs for each port or fuel injection stacks.do the exhaust ports have only two ports or three or four on each side? I guess the part 13 is my biggest head scratcher I can't figure it out.

Thanks Doug,the areas in question involve parts 11 12 13 which I believe to be the carb and intake but then where does the cooling system go?what I want to do is seperate carbs for each port or fuel injection stacks.do the exhaust ports have only two ports or three or four on each side? I guess the part 13 is my biggest head scratcher I can't figure it out.

Part 13 is the intake manifold, the carb mounts underneath the middle of that, then the manifold mounts to the raised portion of each cylinder head. The exhaust manifolds (one for each head) mount to the inner sides of the cylinder blocks (that Lincoln, like all early Vee engines, used a pair of iron cylinder blocks, each bolted to its respective side of the aluminum crankcase--this was before Oakland, Viking--Oakland, the parent of Pontiac, Viking, a submake of Oldsmobile 1928-31-32--and later Ford pioneered the concept of a V8 engine cast enbloc, or "all in one piece"). The first generation Lincoln V8's, dating from 1921 used updraft carburetors, given that fuel delivery was by gravity from a reservoir tank on the firewall, above and behind the engine (fuel was sucked up to that reservoir by intake manifold vacuum from the gas tank mounted in the very rear of the chassis (this was before GM AC Division pioneered the mechanical fuel pump used for the next 45-50 years). As for cooling, those engines used water outlets on each cylinder bank, just like the later Ford flathead V8's, the water pump mounted on the front. I seem to recall (haven't looked at the kit in a long time) that MPC may not have done the hoses etc. The water pump is part 6, water inlets are parts 222 and 223, the pump needing to have a hose to it from the bottom tank on the radiator, upper hoses going to the radiator top tank.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Part 13 is the intake manifold, the carb mounts underneath the middle of that, then the manifold mounts to the raised portion of each cylinder head. The exhaust manifolds (one for each head) mount to the inner sides of the cylinder blocks (that Lincoln, like all early Vee engines, used a pair of iron cylinder blocks, each bolted to its respective side of the aluminum crankcase--this was before Oakland, Viking--Oakland, the parent of Pontiac, Viking, a submake of Oldsmobile 1928-31-32--and later Ford pioneered the concept of a V8 engine cast enbloc, or "all in one piece"). The first generation Lincoln V8's, dating from 1921 used updraft carburetors, given that fuel delivery was by gravity from a reservoir tank on the firewall, above and behind the engine (fuel was sucked up to that reservoir by intake manifold vacuum from the gas tank mounted in the very rear of the chassis (this was before GM AC Division pioneered the mechanical fuel pump used for the next 45-50 years). As for cooling, those engines used water outlets on each cylinder bank, just like the later Ford flathead V8's, the water pump mounted on the front. I seem to recall (haven't looked at the kit in a long time) that MPC may not have done the hoses etc. The water pump is part 6, water inlets are parts 222 and 223, the pump needing to have a hose to it from the bottom tank on the radiator, upper hoses going to the radiator top tank.

Art

Thank you Art,your explanation clarified everything except it looks like the upper radiator hose attaches directly above the carb.

• 1 year later...

I never did complete this engine . I was able to find detailed photos of everything but the top ,which is where I wanted to do my own thing . so I decided to use something different for that project. the photos i found were pretty easy to find after a gooogle images search. I don't recall the name of the website and it is no longer in my favorites. sorry I couldnt be of much more help.you would think you could find anything on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I never did complete this engine . I was able to find detailed photos of everything but the top ,which is where I wanted to do my own thing . so I decided to use something different for that project. the photos i found were pretty easy to find after a gooogle images search. I don't recall the name of the website and it is no longer in my favorites. sorry I couldnt be of much more help.you would think you could find anything on the internet.

just in case it was misread I meant in general and that I was unable to find a picture of the top of the engine. not a condescending remark directed at Joe.sorry .