Model Cars Magazine Forum

A tribute to a great modeler and his wife

Hi everyone! After talking with a couple members of my club for a go ahead on this topic, I decided to share a story of a really great woman and her husband. Before I joined Moonlight Modelers there was a member that was well accomplished that I never got the chance to meet. Moonlight and Cactus clubs have a lot of mutual members and friends and thanks to this mans wife Renee ( Sorry if it's spelled wrong) we all get to see a legacy he left behind. She is dedicated to the hobby in a way that is unmatched. She attends meetings and votes and helps in so many ways. This last meeting was at her house and she was nice enough to share a world that is a modelers dream. Before anyone asks... Do not contact any club members about buying anything. Nothing is for sale! I wanted to show some awesome eye candy for everyone and to thank her for sharing this. Also I have to say i wish I could have met her husband for his built kits prove that he could have taught me a lot of cool tricks of the trade!. Enjoy everyone!

DSC05242.jpgDSC05243.jpgDSC05244.jpgDSC05245.jpgDSC05246.jpgDSC05251.jpgDSC05250.jpgDSC05249.jpgDSC05248.jpgDSC05247.jpg

I know that a lot of people buy a ton of kits... many more than they could possibly build in their lifetime. And I sort of get that.

But buying 5,6,7,8,9 of the same exact kit? That I just don't get... :blink:

I get it with some of them. Racecars mainly since you can order decals for almost any car and make more than what the manufacturers offer. Not to mention defferent paint schemes on muscle cars, stock vs custom, etc

I know that a lot of people buy a ton of kits... many more than they could possibly build in their lifetime. And I sort of get that.

For the same rason I buy multiples (specifically late model pickups). There's more than one way to build it. I have an obsession with pickups and currently have 4 of one, 3 of another and doubles of a few others. The numbers keep growing as I find and can afford them.

Brian,

Thanks for sharing and also making most of us jealous of his collection! Like you mentioned to Harry, having multiples of a kit can lend it to being built in many variations.

By chance did this fellow originally come from the Midwest? I see some markings on some of the kits that remind me of a Hobby shop back in Southern Wisconsin that has since closed. Talk about stirring up memories!

Thanks again!

Brian,

Thanks for sharing and also making most of us jealous of his collection! Like you mentioned to Harry, having multiples of a kit can lend it to being built in many variations.

By chance did this fellow originally come from the Midwest? I see some markings on some of the kits that remind me of a Hobby shop back in Southern Wisconsin that has since closed. Talk about stirring up memories!

Thanks again!

Yes, at one time, he lived in WI and spent A LOT of time at the Toledo shows.

But buying 5,6,7,8,9 of the same exact kit? That I just don't get... :unsure:

He bought multiples of kits he liked. On the other hand, there were a lot of kits he had no personal use for, and he bought zero. There are quite a few "holes" in the variety of his collection, and there are other areas that he covered like an old army blanket.

Duplicates are usual when you buy many collections...:unsure:

But buying 5,6,7,8,9 of the same exact kit? That I just don't get... :unsure:

Harry, I was born in 61. I have enough kits of the 61 Impala to do every color option. Plus I have a couple resin bodies of different cars from that year. Also my daughter was born in 86, I have a lot of multiple kits from those years as well.

I've gotten multiples of different kits for different reasons.

Charles

Brian, is there a reason you haven't mentioned his name? I believe you are referring to Andy Kallen, aka, Moose. If so not only was he a great builder (and obviously collector) he was a great ambassador to the hobby. He was a fixture at the GSL contests every year or every other year. His personality and humor kept everyone entertained year after year. I was only fortunate to have met him twice before his passing but just those few meetings was a privilege for me. It was his building style that helped create an award given out at each GSL contest called the Klingon Cruiser award. And yes, Renee has obviously done a fine job at continuing his legacy with her involvement in the hobby. I missed the last contest but the one before that I know she was there because they started up a new award which was something of a spirit award given to each years best showing of being a true ambassador to the hobby and to the show itself. She was the presenter of that award.

As far as the collection goes; that is one of the most extensive collections that I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

I saw the 68 Jo-Han Eldo kit I sold to him at the Milwaukee Miniature Motors show!!! Great story about that. Some guy was trying to hammer me on the price and I refused this guy's insulting "offer". Andy was right behind him and picked up the kit. I knew him from one of the first GSLs when he lived in Montana. I gave it to him for about what the jerk prior to him was trying to get it for just because Andy was a nice guy.

Fast forward to a few years before he passed away. I saw a few Pyro Brass kits on Ebay and I e-mailed the seller to find out if they were the ones that were plated or had "gold" plastic in them. It turned out to be Andy and he said they were the plated ones and he was just going to send them to me because he remembered the deal I gave him on the Eldo. He said, "Sometimes payback isn't a bitch!"

This is really nice to see and even nicer to read!!!!!! Thank you for sharing this treasure trove! There are those out there gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair out when they see stuff like this but I look at it this way -- obviously, here was a man who was blessed with a wife who shared his interests and the collection will be kept as such - a collection. One day, all that stuff will be for sale and when it is, there will be that much less of it available and many of those sealed and built models will be even more precious than they are today to say nothing of harder to find. Personally, when I look at a colection like that, I do not feel any jealousy, envy or disappointment that I can not have any of it. For the mnan who obviously spent years collecting, his appreciation for model cars went way beyond just hoarding - everything is neat and tidy and well displayed which tells me that he really appreciated and liked the stuff and he enjoyeded just having it. Somehow, although he was obviously passionate about the hobby, I don't think that he collected models and viewed them as an "investment". Ask yourself this - how many of those models were probably bought on clearance sales and would not exist today had he not bought and preserved them? Many if not most, were probably mundane, common and discontinued kits that would have been bought and now be long since gone into a dumpster. One day, as said, these will all find theoir way into the hands of guys like us who appreciate and love model cars and most will in due time be built and displayed. Just my opinion and I know there are those whoo disagree - but t's just an opinion. Thank you and thank the lady for allowing us to see the collection. I wish that my stuff was as neatly stored and displayed.. maybe I have some motivation now to try to get organized. One last thought - it's refreshing to see that this man's wife is not like so many others who would "clear out all that junk" because she obviously has an interest in her husband's hobby and his life. How many wives would be selling the collection off - not because they need the money but because they resented the time that he devoted to his simple hobby? She's a princess - no doubt about it in my mind! :(:):)