Model Cars Magazine Forum

Conversion for Monogram 50 Ford from 1/2 ton to big truck

What did he use for the chassis Matt?

The front part of the frame is the f-1 frame and the rest is Evergreen channel stock. The chassis suspension parts are all resin items I sell. when you get the wide front fenders from me. It comes with a detailed instruction booklet on how to make that frame.

donef8frame2-341x138.jpg

I thought that the extra cab that you sell was a phantom until I was doing some digging online and lo and behold - they actually made such a truck!!! Sure looks good and the build up in your pictures is stunning! What a beautiful job! It just looks so right!

I am really contemplating buying some '49/50 Mercurys and Ford cars and building a loaded transporter for the Tournament of Thrills". Of course, they would have used a Ford tractor to pull the trailers around and actually, the extended cab tractor would make the display even more unique I suppose. I have searched for some photos of the cars on a transporter but could not find anything. I would think that they probably had a closed in trailer accompanying the auto transporters to haul the props and extra parts from performance to performance. Does anyone have any information on this?

I figured on painting the truck and trailer white just like the cars and applying some decals - should make for a really cute setup! I posted on another thread asking if anyone repops the decals for the Mercs and Fords .. we'll see what turns up. B):D:D

Well, I just found this -

TournamentofThrillsTransporterkit.jpg

The truck is a bit futuristic or the cars are pretty outdated - butthis is what I had in mind except the trailer would be coupled to a '49/50 Ford tractor. *sighs* Maybe my idea was not quite as original as I thought.. I should have remebered that saying that there really are not a lot of absolutely NEW ideas.. B):D:D

IMHO , the Tournament of Thrills would never use a totally enclosed trailer . The loading and unloading is ;

1) extremenly time consuming

2) awquard and hazardous

3) the above impossible to do in anything but a bright sunny day

All the acess to the tie downs are now in the dark on this kind of trailer . Very difficult to even see where to attach toe hooks to the underside at the proper locations . The trailer is very norrow due to the enclosure . There are width limits for Trucks . These are outside dimensions . I had a long conversation with the Designated Driver of the Leaseway New Car Hauler for the GM Auto Shows during my time as a Car Hauler . One side is harder as the panels don't open as far . You have very limited space to get leverage to work the tie down chains . I don't recall which side or why thos is so . Just the Nightmare . Open trailers would suit the Tournment of Thrills .

Thanx ..

Based on any photos that I have looked at from that era, it seems thatthe car transporter semi trailers were styled much like the AMT car hauler that is shown on the box in the above picture. If they had trailers similiar to the ones that we now have, then I have yet to see a picture of one attached to an old truck of the late 40's or early '50's. But I could be wrong and I stand corrected if I am. :lol::D;)

I am not sure if you are a stickler for having perfect and accurate details on a model.(I tend to be very hard on myself in these areas, but...) But you have to remember. It is model car building and it is all about fun. I have many times, when I cannot find all of the fact on a modeling subject. Just wing it. Most of the time no one is going to even know what is right or wrong and so what if it is. Build what you want.

I am doing something like that right now. I am building a Ford transport that is a representation of what the Woods Brother NASCAR race team used in 1971. I even have photos of the real thing. I am going with what I have and how I want to build it because it makes me happy. It will look close and most people will think it is a model of the real thing. I am not worried and I am going to be happy with it. Because I am having fun with it. Again, believe me. I am one pain in the butt to myself when it comes to building accurate replica models of real subjects, too. I have all kinds of NHRA, NASCAR and other forms of motospoorts, rule books right on my workbench. But sometimes I just do not worry so much about it and have fun.

...and NO, I am not trying to talk you into buying my product by saying all of this.......Well maybe a little. ;)

I am not sure if you are a stickler for having perfect and accurate details on a model.(I tend to be very hard on myself in these areas, but...) But you have to remember. It is model car building and it is all about fun. I have many times, when I cannot find all of the fact on a modeling subject. Just wing it. Most of the time no one is going to even know what is right or wrong and so what if it is. Build what you want.

I am doing something like that right now. I am building a Ford transport that is a representation of what the Woods Brother NASCAR race team used in 1971. I even have photos of the real thing. I am going with what I have and how I want to build it because it makes me happy. It will look close and most people will think it is a model of the real thing. I am not worried and I am going to be happy with it. Because I am having fun with it. Again, believe me. I am one pain in the butt to myself when it comes to building accurate replica models of real subjects, too. I have all kinds of NHRA, NASCAR and other forms of motospoorts, rule books right on my workbench. But sometimes I just do not worry so much about it and have fun.

...and NO, I am not trying to talk you into buying my product by saying all of this.......Well maybe a little. ;)

Keep talkin' - it's working. :D I have to get a couple of things out of the way first.. definitely interested though. I am still not sure if I would go with just a standard cab or the sleeper cab. You know what you should look into making, is a '53 0 56 Ford Big Job.... they were a really pretty truck with their little functional hood scoop and all. If you did it with a '50, then a '53 shouldn't be too difficult. Actually, there woulds likely be a market for each generation of big truck right up into the '80's. What do you think? :blink: : ;):D:D:lol::o

Edited by impcon

Tractors and trailers are not always a matched set, so it is not at all unusual to have decades of difference between them. My brother was working for a company a few years ago that was still using trailers built in the 1960s. The tractors themselves can also be run a long time, and are easily upgraded with new motors etc, so you are right it would not be unlikely to see 30-40 year old truck on the road particularly in service with a small company or independant owner operator.

There was a good thread with a lot of photos of old car haulers posted earlier this year, but I can't seem to find it.

I can't speak for everything Matt makes, but I have been happy with the items I have bought. The 337 Rouge truck motor was the latest and it is a very nice looking motor.

Yes , these pictures of Car Haulers . Very nice indeed . These are mostly "gas" jobs . Doesels didn't become real Popular until later times . I don't know when for sure when the diesel revolution occured . Fule milage was the key factor for the switch . The '50 Ford Flathead is a "gas' Job . Thanx ..

The truck is a bit futuristic or the cars are pretty outdated - butthis is what I had in mind except the trailer would be coupled to a '49/50 Ford tractor. *sighs* Maybe my idea was not quite as original as I thought.. I should have remebered that saying that there really are not a lot of absolutely NEW ideas.. :):D;)

Yep- the AMT C-600 is a '71-'74 model, though you could easily up or backdate it. The OLDEST it could be is '57, the first year for the C-Cab so... yeah... the truck is a bit 'futuristic' compared to what it's hauling!

Yep- the AMT C-600 is a '71-'74 model, though you could easily up or backdate it. The OLDEST it could be is '57, the first year for the C-Cab so... yeah... the truck is a bit 'futuristic' compared to what it's hauling!

I would think that 1 '50 F8 would be about right.. with the conversion that we see above of course. I have to admit that the sleeper cab is starting to appeal to me more and more.... maybe Santa Claus will have one of thoise in his bag this Christmas. After all, I have been good this year and he knows who is naughty and who is nice - right? :DB):D