Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell models listed at walmart.com

While paying my WM credit card earlier today I searched Revell on a whim.My search produced over a 120 kit listings,mainly model cars and planes.They also had the Revell most recent issue of the "Universal" monsters.The prices are average retail and the shipping is free to your local Wal Mart. This is not a pro Wal Mart post, I view them as a necessary evil.I just thought I'd let others know of another source for models, and reasonable prices and free shipping to your nearest store is really not a bad deal in my opinion.

Sam

I checked it out too. For me, not that much I'm intersted in, but more importantly its only about $2 cheaper than my local Hobbytown. Not that I like HT that much, but I'd rather spend the extra $2 to support my LHS, even if it is a chain store. I mean, the likelyhood of a hobby shop going out of business is way much greater than Wallyworld. Just my 2 cents worth!

I hate to say it (obvious reasons) but I saw some Revell kits at a Kmart near me...and this Kmart is not one of the big Super K's, its actually kind of small. Maybe KMart is going to have some models for Christmas this year?

Nothing special, but some priced at $12.99, 15.99, and for some reason Bullit Mustangs (old and new) were $19.99. A few easy builds as well.

Just sharing...

I checked it out too. For me, not that much I'm intersted in, but more importantly its only about $2 cheaper than my local Hobbytown. Not that I like HT that much, but I'd rather spend the extra $2 to support my LHS, even if it is a chain store. I mean, the likelyhood of a hobby shop going out of business is way much greater than Wallyworld. Just my 2 cents worth!

I'm with you there! I'd still buy kits from the local hobby shops ( well - local being an hour and a half's drive away from where I live ) even if Walmart is $2.00 - $5.00 cheaper. But for kits that will be used for parts.. I'd look at Walmart. I guess that what I am saying is that I'd not stop buying from the local small business's but I'd look at buying some of the cheaper stuff from Walmart. This is just a thought - but maybe the stores will start carrying models agai,. They used to have the rare, occasional killer sale here - I bought two shopping carts full of models a few years back for $5.00 each and that included some of the Ford Loiusville Coca Cola trucks! They were even nice enough to put them on layawy for me for a few days which really surprised me as I was really short of cash at that moment. I still have all of those kits except for one of the Louisvilles that I gave to my son who never did complete the build. It's packed away in storage for awhile yet with most of my other kits and parts. So maybe if we were to write to Walmart and ask them to carry models in the stores again??? Do you think thatthey might do that? :D;)B):D

I try real hard not to buy much there.They kill me with their business logic.The first ever walmart in my town starts out with a hobbie section,runs all the local shops out of business .O.K. they still carry models and paint and fabric general hobbie things and what not.O.K.some odd years later they open a super walmart,the stores twice the size with less stuff.No models,hobbie section reduced to 2 isles of leftover junk from the other store and when it runs out they don't restock it?The manager told me they only have room for so much.I said it's a bigger store and he looked at me like I grew another head and walked away. ;) I buy all my stuff online now they(any place but walmart) have what I'm looking for and there open 24-7for my model shopping pleasures.

I try real hard not to buy much there.They kill me with their business logic.The first ever walmart in my town starts out with a hobbie section,runs all the local shops out of business .O.K. they still carry models and paint and fabric general hobbie things and what not.O.K.some odd years later they open a super walmart,the stores twice the size with less stuff.No models,hobbie section reduced to 2 isles of leftover junk from the other store and when it runs out they don't restock it?The manager told me they only have room for so much.I said it's a bigger store and he looked at me like I grew another head and walked away. :lol: I buy all my stuff online now they(any place but walmart) have what I'm looking for and there open 24-7for my model shopping pleasures.

What's happened to you there is the same thing that happened here in Wyoming ;) , only difference being now is that I do have a few local hobby shops that I can go to thanks to the fact that Walmart is in the frame of mind that they cannot stock anything more than what they can, even though it is a bigger store :) .

With this in mind, allot of Mom and Pop Shops can slowly return to buisness, so it's not all bad.

What's happened to you there is the same thing that happened here in Wyoming ;) , only difference being now is that I do have a few local hobby shops that I can go to thanks to the fact that Walmart is in the frame of mind that they cannot stock anything more than what they can, even though it is a bigger store :D .

With this in mind, allot of Mom and Pop Shops can slowly return to buisness, so it's not all bad.

It's part of a natural cycle. When walmart stops selling models there is a vacuum that will likely be filled by some enterprising retailer - probably a small business. I agree - I don't buy any more from that chain than I absolutely have to but sometimes they are the only choice in a smaller town for certain items. I personally don't like how they treat their employees and I don't like how they come into an area and small shops fail but it is really all part of a natural cycle with free enterprise. Business's come and go and sooner or later, they all are swallowed up by a competitor and suffer the same fate as the small business's that failed when the new chain store came to town. :):lol::blink:

Ok, here we go. I talk regularly to one of the guys that used to own a LHS! I asked hime if WalMart put him out of business and his answer was NO. He said WalMart was generalized in what plastic they stocked. If it was not a big seller they didn't stock it and they were rather narrow in scope of what they stocked!

Yes some of his customers bought from WalMart too but they came to him with specific wants which he could order if he didn't have them on the shelf, WalMart could not. Plus he had a more varied selection of types of kits for all ares of modeling!

He said most that went out of business went out on their own accord. Most because of making the wrong choices on what to stock or not diversifying enough to cover slow sales in other areas! Said like any busines it can be precarious maintaining the right balance!

Most of his busines like most others, RC and Model Railroading. Both of which he calls fickle as the customers are very picky and certain brand oriented. He said that caused issues because some manufactures demanded orders larger than they could afford in order to get stock direct so they had to use a jobber for smaller orders and that increased price.

That is where the internet hit them in the pocket as there were people almost wholesaling stuff on line and they could not compete. Plus so many customers found even if with shipping it was a little more it was ok cause they could sit at home and not have to deal with traffic, parking or other people to get what they wanted!

The slumping economy and market saturation didn't help either. Said it runs in cycles. In the 25 years he was in busines he nearly closed up 6 times and if he had not been working a regular job at the same time he would have went out the second year he was in busines!

He did say while WalMart to some extent did hut other businesses (mom and pop 5and dimes and smaller chains) for the most part they help other small businesses by brining in custimers to the towns where they opened a new store.

Ever notice how many businesses want to be near a WalMart?

A small business cannot compete now a days.I guess I'm not a fan of the system.Times do change,I do like the fact of more and more gas stations are pumping your gas for you,so you don't drive off without paying. B) I live in the middle of nowhere and love every minute.It's been about 7 hrs and not one car has gone by my house, ahhh.Sorry city dwellers. B)

I just checked the prices and they are about the same as the local hobby shops. As I live in Canada, I checked WM in Canada and there are no model kits listed nor in the stores. I prefer dealing with a hobby store where I can also get glue, paint, tools, magazines, accessories and human help when it is needed :rolleyes:

I know some people view Wal*Mart as evil incarnate, but for the hobbyist who doesn't have a LHS within a reasonable driving distance, ordering from Walmart.com is going to be cheaper than going through eBay once you factor in that Walmart will ship it to your local store for free.