Model Cars Magazine Forum

The General Lee

TheCat

As a BIG FAN of the Dukes of Hazard - I just had to build the General Lee. I watched all the seasons and studied every inch of the car, plus did some online research as well. I scratched built the CB Antenna and accurate License plate. B)

69-General_Lee-00-m.JPG

69-General_Lee-01-m.JPG

69-General_Lee-05-m.JPG

69-General_Lee-04-m.JPG

69-General_Lee-06-m.JPG

Edited by TheCat

Okay so maybe some people here are tired of Chargers and the General Lee, but you know I think that is a very awesome job, it's looks like you got it down to perfection! make me wish AMT or another Kit company would make a kit as realistic as you have made this model. 5 thumbs up if I had them :lol: .

Yup, I used the bumper bar, the wheels and decals that were accurate for the first/second season. The rest of the kit I used two Revell model kits, the 68 and 69 Chargers to make the General Lee. It was not easy, but if you want to make it look as accurate as possible, you will need to use a few kits. ;)

Currently I bought after market decals that are accurate to create the General Lee for season three and up. But I'm in no rush to build it as it took me very long to build this one.

Sweet! Did you use any AMT parts or decals?

Well, It's mostly cosmetics... The ONLY difference between season one and two is that the General Lee had a Checker Flag and Confederate Flag Decal on the rear upper center of the trunk right where the CB Antenna is located. On Season two they remove that decal but kept everything else the same.

Season three and on, there where a few changes... they made the front Bumper Guard Bar wider and on occasion the Cage Bar was painted black instead of the Saddle Beige that matched the interior color. Also the colors of the letters for the name General Lee on the roof changed to a blue on white instead of black on white.

LOL, yeah, I made the background look more like the car was in a museum instead of Hazard County. B)

That is cool. Without going into too much detail, what are the differences between seasons? are they cosmetic, or deeper than that?

One other comment: your Background Mural is about as far from Hazzard County as you can get!

I used the Testors Competition Orange (1628). Here's quick Fun Fact Trivia - They had over 30 different color General Lee's, from Orange to Red. The reason they needed 30 cars in different colors was because of the lighting when they shot the film. This way the General Lee always looked the same color. But the true color was Dodge's Competition Orange that Testors do make.

Which reminds me, What color orange did you use on that?

Great model...

Just one doubt: The "General Lee" text on the roof should be in blue color instead black, right?

I´m asking because I´m also building this car and this doubt came up.... I saw 1st and 2nd series and I cant remember any shot of the car with this black text...

Congrats!

I used the Testors Competition Orange (1628). Here's quick Fun Fact Trivia - They had over 30 different color General Lee's, from Orange to Red. The reason they needed 30 cars in different colors was because of the lighting when they shot the film. This way the General Lee always looked the same color. But the true color was Dodge's Competition Orange that Testors do make.

Wow, hey thanks for that fun fact :) .

• 1 month later...

Actually the General Lee never had black lettering. In the first few seasons the lettering was a dark blue with the font being more bold and heavier. This website http://www.generalleeenterprises.com/ confirms what the first General Lee looked like including the original lettering, flag style and colors. In the later California episodes the lettering lightened a little, the font grew skinner and further apart. The thickness of the "01" also changed to a fatter thickness as opposed to a skinner "01" like you see on Lee 1. To get accurate California style reference pictures of a General Lee....visit www.smithbrosrestorations.com