Model Cars Magazine Forum

How's about what's new at Round 2?

Chuck Most

funny thing is, i really dig the black widow, green hornet and that line of kits. yeah they were funky (the rear axle of the green hornet anyway is attached to the frame ends like its the rear crossmember too, etc) but they were really kool at the time and even now. i like the lift off body of the hornet and the black widow just looks good. lots of upgrading options out of the spares box too. so i am glad we are seeing the black widow again, they were getting too expensive on ebay.

> It was. It was actually a Show n' Go car.

that had to be some hecka ride!

yeah i thought i remembered it was a real car. dont recall whether the model came first or the car.

i have seen the current black widow out at shows etc. its slightly different but i believe its got the main components of the original. might be totally wrong on that and if so please correct me. again not sure which came first, the model or the car (back nin the sixties, not the current day black widow)...or, for that matter, whether i remember a 1:1 black widow "back in the day".

So I guess if anyone is still looking for a Chrysler 300C and didn't get any when they first came out then they should simply wait for them to make it to the shelves of Big Lots, like the last batch ended up, for $5 bucks each.

Seems like someone didn't do their research before coming up with this one as a reissue.

Actually, the last bunch of AMT kits turned up in closeout stores because of two things: (1) Wal-Mart got out of carrying model kits, and (2) probably in part due to (1), RC2 decided to shut down AMT and quit the (in their words) "automotive collectibles" market in favor of toys. To clear the warehouse to make way for toys, and without WM to sell the kits to, they wound up at closeout stores along with the remaining WM stock.

Though the more rabid model car guys won't want a(nother) 300, issuing it now makes sense. Revell still has a 300 out there, so someone is buying them. Sometimes we forget that there are a lot of model car builders/buyers out there who don't buy model magazines or aftermarket stuff, and aren't connected with the "model car community" at large. They just buy a kit and stick the thing together every so often. They've been the ones buying the Chrysler 300s, Cadillac Escalades, '66 Mustang coupes, and AMT '64 Impalas. A guy I knew who operated a hobby shop (since closed) told me he could never get enough of the latter two kits. He'd order twice as many as he really wanted, the wholesaler would send him half as many as he really wanted, he'd put them on the shelf, and within a day or two he'd be cleaned out of them. Every year, I look at the upcoming releases that have been announced, and shrug my shoulders at half of the stuff. But hopefully, the manufacturers do well with those items that I couldn't care less about, and they'll take some of that money and invest it in something that I would want...

I have to agree with the comments made concerning the 33 Chevrolet and the Wild dream . Isaw a couple of 58 Lincon convertables, built a good 50 yrs ago last Saturday. The two were in a box with a 59 Mercury Convertable . They were 55.00 apiece ............... Ed Shaver

• 3 weeks later...

I thought they reissued it during the RC2 regime, but I might be wrong. That would be a nice one to see back, regardless. :)

The 36 Ford 3 Window hasn't been out since the 70s. The Dick Tracy car was the old 3 Window retooled into a 5 Window. Unknown to many, but shortly after the DT issue the top and hood were retooled again still as the 5 Window for whatever unknown reasons. There have been 3issues of the 5 Window since the DT issue (1 from original AMT, 2 from RC). I found this out the hard way when I bought a Flintstone resin sedan body and the hoods from all of the issues after the DT kit DONT fit the resin kit but from the DT kit back to the original 60s issue DOES... just a word to the wise if you build a Jimmy Flintstone 36 Sedan.

If you want a 36 3 Window I'd suggest you buy the new Revell issued Coupe/Cabrio. The AMT 3 Window (especially the chopped top issues) bring decent money on ebay.

> It was. It was actually a Show n' Go car.

that had to be some hecka ride!

yeah i thought i remembered it was a real car. dont recall whether the model came first or the car.

i have seen the current black widow out at shows etc. its slightly different but i believe its got the main components of the original. might be totally wrong on that and if so please correct me. again not sure which came first, the model or the car (back nin the sixties, not the current day black widow)...or, for that matter, whether i remember a 1:1 black widow "back in the day".

The real Green Hornet did have the rear axle solid mounted to the chassis like most altereds of the day. Rear suspension was just unneeded excess weight in those days. The only major inacuracy from the Green Hornet kit to the real car was that the real car ran Halibrand mags.

The Black Widow was a model kit before it was a real car... and the newly built car you see today is the only one there has ever been. Its dead one all the way down to the ill-flowing, front dump 265 exhaust manifolds.