Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT / Round 2 curbside Corvettes

robertw

I know that curbside kits are looked down on by some modellers but they are a quick and good way to get the plastic juices flowing again and with a little work make very nice shelf models. When they quietly released these two new ('09 coupe & '10 conv) C6 Corvette kits recently I ordered a couple of each. Here is a quick review of the two kits which are identical except for the cv or cp body.

Bodies are molded in white and look quite accurate except the front edge of the side coves seems a little shallow. Hood and front/rear clips are separate pieces that fit well and the chassis plate is very similar to the earlier Revell curbside kit. The interior tub comes with separate inner doors and 2006+ style steering wheels, the only drawback being the hard vinyl seats similar in material to those we saw in the Challenger curbside kit. Unlike earlier curbside kits the brakes are very nice looking cross drilled units which will look great behind the kits '09/'10 five spoke wheels (the latter have not been available in a kit before). Beside the windshield the clear sprues contain headlight covers, turn signal lights and tail lights. Side marker lights and rear back up lights are on the decal sheet as well as various interior decals and external emblems & GM logos. Decals are also water slide and duplicates of each decal are provided on the sheet (a great idea Round 2, thank you).

These two Round 2/AMT kits are labelled as Showroom Replicas and a write-up on the side of the box suggests that we'll see more cars in this simplified series. I look forward to them. Now to clear the workbench and build one of these kits.

Rob W

• 3 weeks later...

The kits (coupe and droptop) are both quite nice. I just finished reviewing them for my next column in MCM. As far as the vinyl seats go, Scalefinishes.com sells some interior dyes (one of these for the new gen Challengers) that stick well to the vinyl and can also serve as a primer. (Jameston if you're reading this, please chime in.)

OK, the Vettes and the Challengers have been good. Time for the first all-new full detail glue kit from Round2/AMT, no?

Edited by larrygre

• 2 weeks later...

The local "action figure" customizers use acrylics on their vinyl figures, & it seems to stick pretty well, I,ve had good luck using a flat acrylic as a primer, then using "whatever" over that for a final finish with no problems,,,,yet.

Edited by horsepower

• 4 weeks later...

I've had good luck using lacquer paints on vinyl seats and interiors (GS's '56 Beetle, for instance), and haven't had any trouble. Would this work on AMT's vinyl seats, as well?

Scalefinishes offers airbrush-ready interior dyes, meant for 1/1 scale real car interiors, that works extremely well on AMT/Round2's vinyl seats and should work equally as well on Gunze's softer vinyl material. I've used their Dark Slate Gray dye for the 2008-10 Challenger, and it also works well as a base coat/primer for painting over with a second color - for example, the white leather seat facings on the 2010 Furious Fuchsia and Plum Crazy Challengers. They will be offering the Corvette interior dyes as well - check their web site.

This is good stuff - I have already ordered a "refill" on the Challenger dye.