Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car Hauler & Tractor - Fall 1956

There's been some discussion about the old AMT car hauler trailer and about building a car hauler with a load of vehicles. I have had one of the trailers for a number of years and have always had a notion about loading it with new police cars.

Well, a good friend of mine, Harold Oswald, beat us all to it. He recently won our local club's monthly contest (theme was "Commercial and Professional Vehicles") with his creation. It is a replica of a Cooper auto transport from the midwest, circa 1956 with a load of new '57 Chevys on their way to a dealer for introduction night.

Harold_Oswald_Car_Hauler_1_st_Place.jpg

The tractor is an R&R resin body on the Lindberg Dodge COE chassis; some of the Chevys are Modelhaus resin, some AMT, and a Revell Black Widow. Harold maintains that the colors and markings are authentic for Jack Cooper Auto Transport, but since Harold's the only one in our club who's a former car salesman from Nebraska in the 50's and 60's, we have to take his word for it!

Harold built each of the Chevys to represent a different series/model and engine/transmission combination.

Harold_Oswald_56_Chevy_Cab_Foward_90_1st_Place_2.jpg

Harold_Oswald_57_Cameo_1_st_Place.jpg

Harold_Oswald_57_Chevy_150_1st_Place.jpg

Harold_Oswald_57_Chevy_1st_Place.jpg

Harold swears all the hubcaps are in the trunks! I think his build is terrific!!

If you want to see more, check out MoonlightModelers.com.

Thanks!

Edited by Danno

Inspiring! Very nice job on that.

I guess with a little fiddling, the AMT kit can be made into a c. 1950s transport. Do you know if he made any modifications to the trailer?

Charlie Larkin

The trailer is right out of the box, Charlie. No mods other than paint detailing.

Being in the car biz for many years now, Harold is familiar with transports. He did some research and found this style trailer is accurate for late 40's and throughout the 50's with phase-out occurring in the early 60's.

There's another transport trailer kit (not currently available, IIRC) that is accurate for the 60's through 90's.

B)

This is unreal....I have been building a car transport and tractor combo in the John Cooper colors, still working on decals (without much success). This is the Revell/IMEX Transport trailer with a Freightliner. John Cooper rigs are a very common sight on the Eways around SE Michigan, I think he has the contract for several GM brands. Of course he now uses the rigs with the "low profile" tractor and trailer and can haul up to 10 vehicles. I wish a kit of the new rigs was available we would then have a rig available for displaying cars models of three different eras.

I agree with the earlier comments...the Chevy/GMC tractor is very well done and perfect with the AMT trailer. I can remember seeing rigs like that around this area when I was younger. Very well done!

post-5156-062296000 1289665105_thumb.jpg

This is unreal....I have been building a car transport and tractor combo in the John Cooper colors, still working on decals (without much success). This is the Revell/IMEX Transport trailer with a Freightliner. John Cooper rigs are a very common sight on the Eways around SE Michigan, I think he has the contract for several GM brands. Of course he now uses the rigs with the "low profile" tractor and trailer and can haul up to 10 vehicles. I wish a kit of the new rigs was available we would then have a rig available for displaying cars models of three different eras.

I agree with the earlier comments...the Chevy/GMC tractor is very well done and perfect with the AMT trailer. I can remember seeing rigs like that around this area when I was younger. Very well done!

Very nice, Carl!

Harold indicated the John Cooper decals he used where included in the AMT trailer kit, but there is a logo design that was not included. Harold has been working on replicating it to add to his rig, but hasn't been successful yet.

It would be very cool indeed to see three eras of JC rigs ... all loaded with "new" cars!

B)