Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the best

Once you guys get the definition of "custom" worked out, maybe then you can define what a "muscle car" is... :P

And after that... you can tell me what is art and what isn't... :)

Harry has it! He wins this argument with that post!

Didn't this recently get argued in another thread?

It all comes down to a matter of personal opinion as there has never been and probably never will be a set standard as to what "cusom" is!

There are those that will argue that the creations made by those Mark named are "works of art" rather than custom cars as many were not really drivable! (note, I said some) and most that were were neither safe nor roadworthy for very obvious reasons!

Wonder how many pages this one will reach!:D

Harry has it! He wins this argument with that post!

Didn't this recently get argued in another thread?

It all comes down to a matter of personal opinion as there has never been and probably never will be a set standard as to what "cusom" is!

There are those that will argue that the creations made by those Mark named are "works of art" rather than custom cars as many were not really drivable! (note, I said some) and most that were were neither safe nor roadworthy for very obvious reasons!

Wonder how many pages this one will reach!:P

i agree. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custom_car

It all comes down to a matter of personal opinion ...

Alright! I win, too! My tank really is a custom! B):P:lol::)

Johnny said so! Bad0210 agreed! I win!

I feel so much better now that we all agree there are no standards or definitions, just personal opinions.

:Dph34r.gif

You can cite Wikipedia, dictionary.com and whatever other references you want ... true gearheads already know what a custom is and what it isn't regardless of what those might say (and, keep in mind, those definitions are written by and for a broader audience than just the "car culture.")

This whole argument reminds of quote from Sen. Daniel Moynihan ... "Every man is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

It may be your opinion that a '93 Civic with trick wheels and a bolt-on spoiler is a custom, but that doesn't make it fact.

Hear, hear! Well put ~~~ and factually put, I might add ~~~ Ken. Good job.

:D

i wasnt posting that link to say thats the truth, i was posting it because it also says their has been an ongoing fued between the two sides and it will probably never be agreed upon. maybe you could of read a little bit to figure that out. i will always have my opinion just like you will always have yours. im not trying to change peoples veiws, i just dont like seeing people post definitions that they made up because they think thats how it should be. this topic was about certain models that have custom parts in them, not what is a custom.

im not trying to change peoples veiws, i just dont like seeing people post definitions that they made up because they think thats how it should be.

But that's precisely what you did.

:D:)

Note to self: Apparently they've been teaching wikipedia and myspace and wikileaks and stuff like that instead of spelling, grammar, and syntax since those born in the 80's reached schoolage. Need to buy personal copy of "Newage to English Translation Dictionary for Old Farts." :P

Mark, this is exactly why I don't hang a tag on my builds! I just let the viewer decide what they think it is! it saves argument!:lol:

When I first got into cars I had all kinds of 50's/early60's car magazines I got from a neighbor! Rod & Custom was the one I liked the best. All the 50's cars with frenching, transplanted bumpers & grills, chopped channeled, the works! That is what defined "custom" for me. Barris, Alexander Bros. and he rest were the guys I did associate with customs but that was through more their influence on the model car world than the real world, because that is where most of us were introduced to those builders!

I believe the change in the definition was influenced by the model car industry as they made customizing easier with add on parts rather than the old Trophy Series where to make the car look good you had to do the actual body work, just like on a 1:1 car!

Then over the years there was less and less actual customizing to the kits but rather dress up parts but they hung on to the "custom" designation on the kit box! So the newer builders had a whole different idea of what custom once meant and it has carried over into adulthood on their 1:1 cars too!

Not knowing the difference between "you're" and "your" ... THAT's irritating! :lol:

Amen! At least "the old farts" are intelligent, articulate, and literate (including but not limited to proper use of capital letters, punctuation, syntax, etc.).

ph34r.gif

Dude #2: " Hey Dude #1! Where have you been? Haven't seen you in a few days..."

Dude #1: " Yeah man, I took all that stuff off my car."

Dude #2: " Why?"

Dude #1: " Well, I was tired of being told I was dumb. I mean, I made my car custom, but everywhere I went, People kept telling me it wasn't custom. That I had just stuck some stuff on my car. People started pointing & laughing at me."

Dude #2: " It didn't help with that giant windshield banner that said 'FEAR THIS CUSTOM RIDE'..."

Dude #1: " Yeah, tell me about it. "

Dude #2: " I told you to stop calling it 'custom'. That word is reserved for a particular type of modifications done to specific types of cars. Your car was Customized, for sure, but it wasn't a Custom, by the accepted definition of car guys..."

Dude #1: " Yeah, I guess you're right. I still don't understand though; it was customized, so Why isn't it a custom?

Dude #2: Let's just move on now, okay? What are you gonna do now? "

Dude #1: " Aww, man! I'm adding a bunch of Performance parts! I'm starting with this big Amplifier & Subwoofer! This car is gonna be One Sweet Hot Rod!"

Dude #2: "..." *Facepalm*

:):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amen! At least "the old farts" are intelligent, articulate, and literate (including but not limited to proper use of capital letters, punctuation, syntax, etc.).

ph34r.gif

i didnt know we were being graded. its a forum. to me it really doesnt matter if i dont type every punctuation thats supposed to be wherever. i dont really like spending the whole day typing. unlike the some of the members that have nothing better to do than to correct every detail. :) i punctuate when it matters.

Edited by bad0210

i didnt know we were being graded. its a forum. to me it really doesnt matter if i dont type every punctuation thats supposed to be wherever. i dont really like spending the whole day typing. unlike the some of the members that have nothing better to do than to correct every detail. :) i punctuate when it matters.

I have no interest in fanning any flames, but it just takes a few seconds to proofread a post and make your message easy to read. It has nothing to do with whether or not you have anything better to do.

ph34r.gif

Is 'ol George the exception to the rule? :)

And I guess it doesn't matter. Everyone can have their own idea of what a custom or customizing is, and that's all I'm gonna say on that subject!

Edited by Jordan White

i didnt know we were being graded. its a forum. to me it really doesnt matter if i dont type every punctuation thats supposed to be wherever. i dont really like spending the whole day typing. unlike the some of the members that have nothing better to do than to correct every detail. ;) i punctuate when it matters.

Expressing oneself intelligently and appropriately always matters; it engenders efficacy and shows respect for self and others. That's the biggest difference in your generation and all those before yours: the lowest common denominator/facebooking/video gaming/texting/blogging era has bred people either too lazy or otherwise to act and communicate intelligibly. Food for thought. But, it's obviously lost on you, so go forth as you choose.

BTW - it takes me no longer to communicate appropriately than it takes you to type in your generational ebonics-text style. However, it takes most readers a heck of a lot longer to interpret your "typing" than mine. More food for thought.

No further discussion, spirited or otherwise. We agree to disagree.

:o

Expressing oneself intelligently and appropriately always matters; it engenders efficacy and shows respect for self and others. That's the biggest difference in your generation and all those before yours: the lowest common denominator/facebooking/video gaming/texting/blogging era has bred people either too lazy or otherwise to act and communicate intelligibly. Food for thought. But, it's obviously lost on you, so go forth as you choose.

BTW - it takes me no longer to communicate appropriately than it takes you to type in your generational ebonics-text style. However, it takes most readers a heck of a lot longer to interpret your "typing" than mine. More food for thought.

No further discussion, spirited or otherwise. We agree to disagree.

:o

again, another opinion of yours, not mine. i have a lot of respect for others as i do for myself. just because i dont care to punctuate when i post on a forum has nothing to do with respect for others or myself. thats the most ignorant answer ive ever heard. i also dont understand why our generation always get put down by the older generation. its pretty sad that you talk about the younger generation that way. thats just opening another can of worms.