Model Cars Magazine Forum

39 Chevy Phantom Wagon

parki

This is one of my latest builds. The AMT 39 Chevy Wagon Rod. I have opened up the side windows to turn it into a station wagon and dechromed the wheels and grill. The grill will be body colour, and I have removed all the chrome trim from the body and hood. I am going to fit it with a blown and injected Ford 429 engine from the MPC Winged Express Altered drag car, just to be different. And it will feature a custom interior.

P4050014-vi.jpg

P4050012-vi.jpg

P4050011-vi.jpg

P4050009-vi.jpg

I like your choice in models.

I will be following this build.

Thanks, don't hold your breath though, lol B) Hard to get any painting done this time of year as I have to paint outside and its dark by the time i get home from work at this time of year not to mention frosty. Gonna try and do somthing different with the interior :)

Nice idea to turn it to station wagon! That panel version is not so nice one, I'm building it but it's coming along very slowly... Those wheels don't fit to my eye, but that doesn't matter too much... Engine swap is a good idea also, I sold that new Corvette Engine first, when I got that kit. Great project.

Nice idea to turn it to station wagon! That panel version is not so nice one, I'm building it but it's coming along very slowly... Those wheels don't fit to my eye, but that doesn't matter too much... Engine swap is a good idea also, I sold that new Corvette Engine first, when I got that kit. Great project.

Thanks. Yeh can't make my mind up about the wheels myself. They may stay if I can't find a better replacement. I'd love to see some pictures of yours Niko.

P.S love your Avatar. :D

Here are the links to the Wagon Rod I finished this year:

On the Workbench: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28488

Under Glass: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34926

If you're not going to alter the location of the headlights, you might consider lowering the nose of the hood just a little. Since it looks like you've glued the hood sides to the top, it would be pretty easy to do.

I'll be watching yours to see how it comes out!!

Later,

Here are the links to the Wagon Rod I finished this year:

On the Workbench: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=28488

Under Glass: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=34926

If you're not going to alter the location of the headlights, you might consider lowering the nose of the hood just a little. Since it looks like you've glued the hood sides to the top, it would be pretty easy to do.

I'll be watching yours to see how it comes out!!

Later,

Just checked out your model. very cool. like it alot. :wacko: Thanks for the input. hope to get some more done soon.

Haven't done so much for it yet. But here are few pictures from it. '39 Panel

Avatar is found from Google "picture search", and I made it bit smaller in photobucket. I like it too.

Looks good so far! B) can't wait to see more pictures. :) Ahh cool.

P.s, sent you a friend request on Fotki. :)

Please, please, please change the headlights. Raise them up or put on the stock '39 bullets... I don't care. Just don't leave them "limp" blobs on the front fenders. :)

I shall try and do something with them Jairus. I know how much you hate what AMT did to your design :) I am thinking of deleeting the woodie panels and making it look more basic, like a bottom of the line wagon. What do you think?

Adam,

You can do what ever you want dude. I like the wood, but then that was what made it "my" art. The rest was simply stock 1939 panel.

However, smoothing it all down with just a nice chrome spear at mid line might make a very nice custom. But, don't forget the rear wheel well covers.

I would rob the AMT '40 Ford panel kit for it's wheel covers and "flipper" hubcaps by the way.

As for headlights... and a way around the "droopy headlight syndrome", one could add a second set of stock headlights. trim the bottom of the stock bucket to fit snugly over the top of the lower units with the lenses canted at a nice angle. Lenses would have to be sourced so all four match of course but the look would be very '60's Custom cool.

39chevHeadlight-vi.jpg

Do not forget to add the chrome spear.... The boys at AMT left it off and forever made the hood and nose look way too high.

Wagonrod-vi.jpg

:)

Edited by Jairus

Adam,

You can do what ever you want dude. I like the wood, but then that was what made it "my" art. The rest was simply stock 1939 panel.

However, smoothing it all down with just a nice chrome spear at mid line might make a very nice custom. But, don't forget the rear wheel well covers.

I would rob the AMT '40 Ford panel kit for it's wheel covers and "flipper" hubcaps by the way.

As for headlights... and a way around the "droopy headlight syndrome", one could add a second set of stock headlights. trim the bottom of the stock bucket to fit snugly over the top of the lower units with the lenses canted at a nice angle. Lenses would have to be sourced so all four match of course but the look would be very '60's Custom cool.

39chevHeadlight-vi.jpg

Do not forget to add the chrome spear.... The boys at AMT left it off and forever made the hood and nose look way too high.

Wagonrod-vi.jpg

:)

Thanks for advice Jairus. I like the idea you hav for the haedlight treatment. Very cool :)

I can send a spare body and the headlight lenses, if that's what you want to do.

I bought several of the kits for the chassis, so I have at least one spare body.

Later,

WOW!! Thanks very much Raul. B) That would be very cool. I'll have ago and see what it looks like, deffinetly worth a shot. I'll email you my address.