Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surf Snapper

Draggon

I am sorta hesitant to post this as I dont really like it. Anyway, here it is. This isnt really my style as I usually build traditional rods-n-customs. Just the AMT Peanuts kit with the graphics removed and Cady decals applied. Out of the box, the front end sat way higher than the back, so I lowered it a significant amount. In retrospect I wish I had raised the rear a couple of scale inches.

DSCN0752-vi.jpg

The wheels are Monogram early iron, stripped and sprayed with magnesium metalizer. Lug detail and letters done by hand.

DSCN0757-vi.jpg

The taillights were foiled and painted in clear red, the license plate is from the scrap box with a detail master frame, and I drilled out the tips of the tail pipes.

DSCN0758-vi.jpg

I scratch built the rack out of evergreen and used some thread I got from an uphlosterer when he made a tonneau cover for my El Camino.

DSCN0756-vi.jpg

The top, windows, and bed cover were molded in one piece, and looked pretty bad. I sprayed the top and bed cover in some old Tamiya I had left over, and futured the windows. That was a pain in the neck.

DSCN0755-vi.jpg

This was really a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole. After it was finished I just found it lacking. I love the wheels and tires, and the surfboards and rack, but the rest.....I dunno, maybe more decals? Anyway, so far my only completion for 2010.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the positive comments! That is the original plastic color, I didnt paint it, I just polished it. I think its more suited to something from the 50's but I guess it fits in with the surf theme. The surfboard that is a close match is painted with Rustoleum Painters Touch "Jade".