Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats the best way to build a camp site ?

diymirage

You could also use thinned down Plaster of Paris over your foam base. If you want a hilly scene, add layers of foam and carve them with a kitchen knife to create hills and valleys, etc. White school glue will keep it all together when it dries.

Mix a thick creamy consistency and just trowel it on over the foam. Depending on the terrain it can be smooth or "bumpy"... your choice. Any that you have left over, break it up when it's dried and it makes great rocks. But remember that the thicker the mix, the faster it dries, so give yourself time to use up each batch you mix before it goes rock hard in the mixing tub (I use old plastic margarine containers). When the main area is dry, paint it mud color then add the "Woodland Scenics" grass and other details. If you've never done this before, don't be afraid to ask. If you want rocks, just give the plaster a thinned down wash of grey acrylic craft paint (the cheap dollar store stuff works fine). Experiment with various washes and you can get some interesting realistic results.

I used this method on my old model railways for years and it worked just fine... and was really cheap!

This is just one way that worked for me, but there's lots of other ways as well.

Hope this helps. Give us an idea of what you have planned. Look forward to seeing your progress.

thanks for the advise guys

as for what i am invisioning: a old muddy two track that runs through the woods (though i will only show the woods behind it)

there will be a clearing where the campsite itself will be with a fireplace in it

charlie, that tent looks great and im gonna peek around that site some more but there will be no tent there

instead, this will be the sleeping qaurters

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38980

For ground texture etc.,Elmers Carpenter Wood Filler works pretty good. You can build layers,dries well and hard,sandable,paintable and dries to a earthtone. Dont know about it adhereing to foam board. While its still wet, you can add your grasses etc with liquid nails for wood which also dries to a earth tone. Its worked for me. Hope this helps.

Edited by vaughn

thanks vaughn

i may have to change from foam to pressboard just because i can get that for free

but i liked the idea of being able to push the trees into place rather then drilling holes

got any pictures of your dio ?

Scroll down in the Dioram's.... "Barn with '30 Packard".....I know it dont look it in these photos but there is movement in the scene. The wood filler does good. And dries a muddy tan. Get a small can and experiment. Another is the powder wood filler that you mix with water. I used both.

that looks good vaugh, im gonna have to try that

but i do want a little more slope in my dio, like im camping on the foot of a hill

i wondering if i could make that raise with the wood filler or if that would be too much and crack it

Dont know how much of slope you want,but I think it would work. Build layers. Even if it cracked,slopes are not all smooth as glass. Cracks can be worked in as part of the ground and muddiness,and alnatural. I had mogels and hills and they never seperated and when they did crack,I just used them. Get a small can. It comes in plastic tubs also.. Another thought for your slope is to make a foundation out of popcicle sticks. They will almost break but not quiet..and reglue to shape your slope. Then use the filler on top. If the filler cracks......you've got woodfiller. Thats what its for...to fill cracks. I know there are other products out there....but this is simple.

Edited by vaughn

There are some flickering campfire circuits out there too. I can't think of a specific one, but they can be found in the model RR and maybe the dollhouse miniature worlds.

thanks

i still havent decided if i want to have a fire or just build it like there was one last night

Here's a method of making a realistic campfire: I used a flickering battery powered tea light (I think that's what they're called) on my 1/12 scale campground diorama. The base is sunken into the blue styrofoam diorama base, leaving just the flame part sticking out. I put some orange paint on the yellow colored "flame" to get the color right. I made a fire ring and put some "firewood" made of twigs blackened with a torch in it. The result is pretty realistic, and it was cheap! This photo was taken of the mockup.

4093171667_f694782361_z.jpg?zz=1

i did enjoy your campsite Sam

that is close to what im building but mine will be less well groomed :)

i got the base cut the other day (particle board since i couldnt find the foam i wanted) and the wife gave me a diorama in a box for Christmass (it has grass shrubs, trees, all sorts a cool stuff)

Eelco, A lot of home improvement stores that sell sheet foam insulation have pieces that are broken. If they are broken to much to be sold they will usally give away for the asking. I have associates at some of the local improvement stores save the broken ones for me. Might be worth a try. I like to use plaster cloth over foam for a base. Paint the base with an earth color and while it is still wet sprinkle on sifted dirt or what ever you are using for ground cover.

Edited by ronr

• 2 weeks later...