Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spark plug wires

greymack

• 2 weeks later...

We used to make our own, using black pieces from sprue trees.

Holding a piece about three inches above a candle flame, the piece is pulled apart, like with a piece of silly putty. The faster you pull, the thinner it gets. It makes a great whip antenna if the end is held near a flame, which makes it ball up. Since it's styrene, it's compatible with the parts you're attaching it to. It can be shaped as desired by slightly warming it up again and manipulating it. Doncha just love manipulating things?

DISCLAIMER: This post is NOT a "how-to". I'm only relating what I have done. If you burn your house or garage down because you stole my idea, you're on your own. I will assume no liability for you stealing my method. :lol:

Edited by joemac

I have a whole drawer full of wire in different sizes from .010 on up and in different colors. Any place I go that has wire, be it Radio Shack, Michaels, Value Craft(beading wire is great), Fry's, I am always looking at wire. Spools can be as cheap as a couple of bucks. Just lay a digital caliper on it and scale it out for what ever you want. Or you can pay through the nose for a couple of feet from Detail Master or other hobby brand. Kind of like buying glue in little bottles.

Pete

While in the local Walmart Super Center yesterday looking at the different beading wire for my next projects I happened to turn around and found a section for children's beading. It was a great find, they had a package of 10 different colored spools of .28 gauge wire for 7.99 and 26 guage for 9.99. They also had several other larger gauge wire in different colors too. I won't have to buy wire again.

Edited by dougp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While in the local Walmart Super Center yesterday looking at the different beading wire for my next projects I happened to turn around and found a section for children's beading. It was a great find, they had a package of 10 different colored spools of .28 gauge wire for 7.99 and 26 guage for 9.99. They also had several other larger gauge wire in different colors too. I won't have to buy wire again.

I think I'm gonna hit WalMart tonight! Thanks for the tip!