Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Trick For Delicate Work

joemac

You're trying to carefully touch up that tiny goof, or it's time to insert that one-chance-only part, and you're afraid to mess it up.

Everything else is going so well and you're extremely satisfied with the results of your efforts. You really feel like you can't make a mistake with this, which only increases your anxiety, causing that normally sure hand to start shaking.

A trick I picked up from my dearly departed father was to hum a tune while you do the job. The humming automatically helps because it requires controlled breathing, which is an enormous aid when attempting something delicate. Try it, it works.

Just pay no attention to that laughter from the next room. B)

thats probably quite true and i will have to try it next time i find myself in a tight corner.

but ive been trying to avoid those "one chance" encounters, one way by putting a part onto another with either blue tac or elmers (white) glue. then when that dries (in the case of the glue), i flow some super glue or epoxy or whatever im going to use around the joint of the parts, trying to keep it from getting on the white glue and/or blue tac. then either remove the blue tac with your fingers (or, actually, a bigger piece of blue tac works better) or wet a q tip and remove the white glue and then seal up the rest of the joint if you need to. works great with headlights or fiddly suspension bits.

You're trying to carefully touch up that tiny goof, or it's time to insert that one-chance-only part, and you're afraid to mess it up.

Everything else is going so well and you're extremely satisfied with the results of your efforts. You really feel like you can't make a mistake with this, which only increases your anxiety, causing that normally sure hand to start shaking.

A trick I picked up from my dearly departed father was to hum a tune while you do the job. The humming automatically helps because it requires controlled breathing, which is an enormous aid when attempting something delicate. Try it, it works.

Just pay no attention to that laughter from the next room. ;)

Your correct about the singing-it trigger something in the brain the calms your mood. Your Father was a wise man-sorry for your loss. Thanks for the tip and Happy New Years to you and yours!!!

Hmm.....sounds like sniper school. Slowly exhale as you are gently squeezing the trigger. Gives better control of your application of pressure and doesn't transmit your body movements into the gun! I use this method when I do the delicate stuff. Used to hold my breath, bad move there as it transmits more movement to your extremeties.

Hmm.....sounds like sniper school. Slowly exhale as you are gently squeezing the trigger. Gives better control of your application of pressure and doesn't transmit your body movements into the gun! I use this method when I do the delicate stuff. Used to hold my breath, bad move there as it transmits more movement to your extremeties.

Yup, B.R.A.S.S, Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze, Shoot.

Personal best, 1193 yards, across the outer perimeter at Tahn Son Nhu Airbase, April '75.

;)

G

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this and it definitely worked. Only problem is the only thing I could think to hum was Herbert's(Family Guy) "Nokia" ring tone, and now I cant get it out of my head....creepy. Nana naa naa nana naa naa nana naa naa na, over and over again.

Hey, this method also works for stock car racing. I've only heard one other driver mention it besides myself, Darrel Waltrip. He and myself agree that, a driver can hold his breath in corners which causes the body to panic. Remembering to breath is a big help. When I was going as hard as possible, I needed to be breathing like a runner. Yes, breathing is important for control

Edited by Monte's Motors