Model Cars Magazine Forum

Li'l Merrod

Modellpularn

Here's a project I started maybe ten years ago, when I made the first cut on the JO-HAN Mercedes... I didn't like the rear end of the body. And I had some idea of using a 32-34 Ford chassis. So after lopping off the rear end, I then proceeded to narrow the body to fit a Ford chassis. After some tinkering, I found that the rear section of a 34 Ford fit very good on the Merc. The side molding of the Merc mated perfectly with the Ford! Then it was "just" a matter of blending the bodies together. Had to make a new molding for the bottom, and the Li'l Merrod was born!

I've used a Li'l Coffin chassis, and that's how I came up with the name - finally... :roll: I was inspired by the rod on the Beach Boys' album "Little Deuce Coupe", and swiped the front end from AMT's double kit 40 Willys/32 Ford sedan. I thought it would be so cool, but I found it sitting way too far in front, too much space between the engine. What do you think?

IMG_1877.jpg

Here's a new idea I'm toying with, 34 Ford grille, will have molded in headlights.

IMG_1873.jpg

Rear end, 56 Ford custom pan, narrowed.

IMG_1874.jpg

Thats a great looking Hot Rod! You're right, though, the front is hard to figure out. Definitely not the double kit grill, too clunky. The 34 grill works, but leaning it like that (you're matching the cowl angle, right?) looks forced, also. Just for chuckles you should see if a upright 32 grill will fit between the frame rails, behind the front suspension. Hope you find an answer, because that model deserves to get finished!

SWEET! Dig that swoopy door line and laid back pillars!

Definitely a no-go on the first grille. Like Paul mentioned, maybe build up the outside of the '34 grille, like a '35 Ford pickup-style, then mold in some vertical quads??

I love the color and rear rollpan too!

SWEET! Dig that swoopy door line and laid back pillars!

Definitely a no-go on the first grille. Like Paul mentioned, maybe build up the outside of the '34 grille, like a '35 Ford pickup-style, then mold in some vertical quads??

I love the color and rear rollpan too!

Thanks Matt! That's my idea for a new grille. It's just mocked up, that's why the angle is a bit weird.

I tend to do radical things. See pic. That's why I suggested no rad shell. The first custom grill you had would look good if it could reconstructed a little shorter and narrower and raked back like the 34 grille. By the way, you have a great looking car going there.

bigslicks018.jpg

No. They came from my parts box and I was told they were an option on an early 60s AMT pick-up kit. I don't know which one. Thanks for the kind words. I am going to enter it in it's first contest at GSL this year. I know it will freak out Mark G. :shock: :D but that is half the fun! :twisted:

• 2 years later...

I've been tinkering with this one again, and the solution was probably too easy to figure out....! I just moved the whole "clunky" grille about half an inch back, and voila', it looks so much better! I'll take some pics when I can get the camera to load them into my 'puter..... I might cut away some material on the backside of the grille - to make it less clunky. Pics will come..... :rolleyes:

Here it is now, looks better huh?

IMG_4453.jpg

Hmmmm...

I think I liked it better with the grill farther forward. It gave a better view of the engine. It looks too crowded now to me. I would move the grill shell forward to where the headlights are just behind the spring perches. It's whatever way you like it though... :D It's a good looking build!

Well Marshall, right now the front end just sits on the frame. I have to get a radiator in there also. But it's got the right look now I think. Maybe some scallops in candy red to top it off. Something more to add a little style, or flash.

Not sure about red... Maybe scallops done in a darker metallic green? Or maybe flames (I'm crazy for flames :D )?

i like that quad headlamp grille too, and it definately looks better back closer to the motor. i think youre going in the right direction if you can notch the grille and get it to sit down lower over the crossbeam.

what i think it really needs is to have the frame shortened about 3/8" between where the front of the motor is and the front axle. that would make the grille look right the way you first had it. but it does look like youve got the frame painted and built so not sure its worth tearing all that apart to modify the frame at this point.

cool looking model though; i never would have recognized benz in there!

• 1 year later...

It's time to finish this sucker! Since I plan to attend the NNL West, and bring this one, again.... ;) But now in a more complete state than last time. I have little less than five weeks.

1. Redo the grille/headlights.

2. Change the headers.

3. Interior. Go with buckets instead of the bench.

4. Taillight.

5. Add some scallops, in purple candy maybe.

I have seen the light, so to speak, concerning the headlights.... :) Went through some different headlight buckets, and then decided to use the custom buckets from AMT's '57 Chevy. I want the hooded style, but they are too small or short. I'll just cut them, and extend them, so the quad lights will fit inside. I'm also going to add material to the sides on the buckets and grille. I'm all fired up about this idea!

The interior will most likely get the custom buckets and dash from AMT's '37 Chevy.

IMG_4790.jpg