Model Cars Magazine Forum

Watson Tribute '59 Thunderbird: 2/20/12 Update - Interior & Clear!

John Goschke

Been working on this T-bird for the "Battle of the 'Birds" on the TraK forum. AMT annual kit with Modelhaus repro '58 bumpers, '59 Dodge wheelcovers. Lowered, nosed, decked, ugly mufflers replaced with polished aluminum tailpipe extensions.

Here's where I'm at now. Bunch of little body details.

Mainly reshaping the windshield posts and vent window frames to more closely reflect the character of the 1/1. Worked to give more overhang at the front over the windshield and on the sides over the vent windows, and also drop the lower vent frame down so that it's flush with the top of the door. This required cutting out the vent frames, reshaping them by trimming here and adding there, then gluing them back in. It's not 100% accurate but worked well enough, giving a nice "shadow line" below the drip rail over the vent window and windshield post. Also added a strip of styrene around the side window opening to represent weather stripping.

59bird22.jpg

59bird24.jpg

59bird25.jpg

59bird29.jpg

59bird31.jpg

More pix here.... http://public.fotki....59-thunderbird/

Edited by John Goschke

Also plugged those fender ornaments slots with trimmed, fitted and shaped pieces of styrene. Shaved off the wipers for later replacement with scratch pieces and scribed the cowl/fender panel lines.

59bird26.jpg

59bird27.jpg

And shaved off the moldlines on the hood or visor over the headlights...

59bird28.jpg

Moving to rear, scribed in the panel line around the fender cap and added a little styrene to start tightening the gap between the body and bumper.

59bird33.jpg

59bird34.jpg

59bird35.jpg

Good looking project John, the Plating looks a bit ruff on the rear bumper though....is that from Modelhaus? :lol:

Thanks. Yeah, Rick, that bumper's from Modelhaus. It does have some orange-peel apparently, however everything looks a "bit ruff" when you use the macro lens. It's not nearly as objectionable in normal viewing conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Masking Tape Madness!

OK, finally forced to stop thinking and talking about doing this, yesterday I actually sat down to start taping out the T-bird for the second color, Tamiya Pearl Blue, on the panels, closely following Larry Watson's layout for his '58 'Bird. Started taping at 11am, and except for a couple short breaks, finished taping at 8pm. Thanks to my wife for kindly doing the grocery run by herself in the afternoon!

My previous practice would've dictated painting the blue first because I find it easier to get a smooth finish over a large area with Tamiya's aerosol cans than my Thandler-Chandler Model A airbrush, however, a spoon test revealed that spraying the pearl white outlines over the blue would not have the desired opacity. Oh well...

I started outlining the panels with thin (1/32" or less) strips of black photographic tape by laying a long strip out on my glass surface plate and cutting the strips with a #11 against a steel rule. For the tight curves in the corners the thin strips allow me to carefully press the tape down with my fingernail to work out wrinkles as it's gently pulled and stretched around the curve.

After the panels were outlined (by about 6:00) I filled in with wider strips of photo tape and cut strips and bits of wide yellow Tamiya tape.

Early this morning I shot the color and the last two shots were taken minutes after all the tape came off. It's not as smooth as I'd like, but fortunately the edges are pretty clean and it appears to be more or less even.

BirdPaint1-vi.jpg

BirdPaint4-vi.jpg

BirdPaint6-vi.jpg

BirdPaint7-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Wow. Exquisite taping job. That is a lot of work - tedious work. It looks stunning already. Photographic tape? I'll have to look that up.

Nice work on the little details too - I love seeing work done that doesn't get all the attention but really makes a model stand out.

Whenever I see a T-Bird from this era, I am reminded of one around town - it is lowered and rusty and never clean and a the guy who drives it sits and smokes cigarettes in it at the gas station where he works (nice sentence structure).

I actually kind of like the color combo (white, black, yellow) of the masked model.

Edited by Erik Smith

• 1 month later...

MORE Masking Tape Madness!

Without a practical method for doing in 1/25th scale, a .125" pin stripe outline on the panels as Larry Watson would have done, the T-bird still needed a third color, so the plan called for another panel border with a few thin scallops. The gold will harmonize with the color on the grill and taillight surrounds and hopefully gives an additional visual "hook" that isn't too busy.

BirdGold1-vi.jpg

BirdGold2-vi.jpg

BirdGold3-vi.jpg

BirdGold4-vi.jpg

BirdGold5-vi.jpg

...I think next model I finish is going to be a single color!

Just spotted this on the HAMB and thought "SWEET!" You guys who can pull off the Watsons and lace etc in scale amaze me. Difficult enough just to get nail the look from a design standpoint, let alone execute it in scale. Big thumbs up.

Excellent work on the mods as well. You have a great eye for which battles are worth picking.

Fantastic. I love paintjobs like this. I have done quite a bit of model painting and masking , but never tried something like this. Maybe because I never built any models of this type. But the more a look at projects like this one, the closer I get to buying this sort of kit just to try laying some paint.

Thank you for the great pictures and explanations.