Model Cars Magazine Forum

My autistic nephew made this for me

ra7c7er

I had been working on a garage diorama with my autistic nephew made out of double-sided tape and popsicle sticks (he doesn't like texture of glue) but a few weeks ago he got upset when my roommate dropped a pan in the kitchen and he smashed it. Today he came over and brought me a diorama he made at home with his mom and the nurse/counselors help.

RepoBros2.jpg

The two guys names are Chuck (in hat) and Pedro (doesn't own a belt) I don't know where he got the names but that's what he named them. The address on the sign is actually the address for the flea market where my girlfriend and I sell some of her crafts and I sell some junk model stuff. The address was his moms idea thinking it would be neat if I take it to the flea market to show off. The sign post is an upside down front fork from a broken motorcycle, the wheel is hard to see but it is free spinning. The figures and ramps came from his toy box and the truck is one of mine out of the junk bin because he got upset about leaving his blue truck here with me. I added the for sale sign. He also brought over a bucket of popsicle sticks so we can start another garage diorama when he comes over again.

I know it isn't much but it is the first ever thing of his that he as left with me without him getting upset about leaving it. I just thought I would share.

That's totally AWESOME!!! I have several autistic children in my family and they are a hand full... They are my cousin and his wifes children, 3 of them all boys, I don't see how they cope. I spent a couple of hours with them this summer. In a 4 hour span an hour and a half was spent looking for the one who walked off and the other 2 decided to scream because they don't like the grass. It was interesting to say the least and I have to give MAJOR KUDOS to my cousin and his wife for deciding to raise them themselves...

That's totally AWESOME!!! I have several autistic children in my family and they are a hand full... They are my cousin and his wifes children, 3 of them all boys, I don't see how they cope. I spent a couple of hours with them this summer. In a 4 hour span an hour and a half was spent looking for the one who walked off and the other 2 decided to scream because they don't like the grass. It was interesting to say the least and I have to give MAJOR KUDOS to my cousin and his wife for deciding to raise them themselves...

I completely understand. My nephew lived with me for almost a full year. He is ok outside so long as he is on concrete or gravel he hates sand and anything soft my sister says he is ok in the snow till he gets some on his face. So far he as only walked off once to follow a dog walker but the doctors say it gets more common as they get older. The nurse was really surprised he was able to sit down and put together everything in one go usually he gets really antsy if he is in a chair for more than a few minutes.

Says a lot in a simple display, which is the hallmark of a good diorama. Given your nephew's limitations especially, he did a remarkably good job with it.

Perhaps model-building might be a good therapy for him.

Charlie Larkin

That's a very good point Charlie, with the skill he displayed putting this Dio together he may find model building rather relaxing, unlike some of us.(me) ;)

Says a lot in a simple display, which is the hallmark of a good diorama. Given your nephew's limitations especially, he did a remarkably good job with it.

Perhaps model-building might be a good therapy for him.

Charlie Larkin

I think it is good for him building is quiet time for both of us, I have some issues to and I can't build with outside noise going on. I did do a snap together kit with him over Thanksgiving weekend but because of his aversion to glue it's hard to build a car with him. He doesn't even like seeing the glue bottles. he likes helping me with the pieces and he will study everything I do. I really want to get two of the same kits so we can build at the same time on the same steps.

What he really likes the local race track I take him a couple times a year and for a kid who hates loud noise and crowds he will sit almost the entire time without fighting. He likes the pit area the most though and since I know a bunch of the racers he gets a lot of attention and gets in the cars. A driver friend of mine even talked the track officials into leting me take him around the track for a couple laps. He got to steer while I did the brake and accelerator. I had never seen him smile and laugh so much.

Everyone,

Thank you for all the supportive comments. My sister and my nephew came over yesterday for a few hours and they both were thrilled with all the comments received. My sister even broke down at a forum users offer.

My nephew and I have started on a new garage together and when he stays over Friday I hope to have enough of it done to post a WIP in the Diorama section.

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts.

Rob

Kudos to you for being willing to take the time to work with your nephew. Autistic children are a handful. I know from personal experience. They still need the love and attention that all children need. The challenge is dealing with their issues, because no two autistic children are the same. ( I probably don't need to tell you any of this.) It's very easy to let it be someone elses problem. Working with any child, teaching them to build models can be a challenge. You are to be commended for taking the time and effort to work with children with special needs. My hats off to you and to his parents. You both go above and beyond.

Kudos to him! My oldest has many disorders including autism, desrucive behavior, obsesive behavior, ADHD and a couple more I cant think of right now. With his texture thing, its anything hard! He does not like jeans. He prefers sweat pants. Does enjoy the grass and hates gravel! LOL. We can not keep him sitting still unless he is playing legos or konex or building a model. Otherwise, forget it! He is a very mechanicle boy! He has to have a cushion at school with a play ball and a small stuffed animal. Has to have grippies on his pencil. We have learned with him, the more "tools" we can give him to put him in his comfort zone, the better. There are days nothing works! Monday he was extremely obstinate. We had to drive him to school in his Pj's and make him get dressed there before he would finially calm down! But there are many days I can sit down with him and build something with him and he is perfectly fine! Its the older daughters attitude and the younger sons smart mouth that tends to get us wired! LOL. That little dio is very cool! You oughta be proud for sure!