Model Cars Magazine Forum

First one for '11!- '37 Chevy Truck Rod

Chuck Most

A random collection of derelicts from a few random boxes of parts...

ratt001-vi.jpg

Here's what we've got so far-

The wheels and tires were the first things to be done- I took some wheels from the AMT '25 T kit, and used some old Gatorback tires up front. For the rear, I slipped the wheels into the inner wheels from a Revell Saleen S281 to increase the diameter so they'd fit inside the 1:20 scale Firestones from an old MPC kit. These assemblies sat for a few months, before I recently dusted them off, painted them Sage green, and added the baby Moon caps from an AMT Deuce 5-window.

Two old Ford Buggy spring front ends (one's from the '40 SD, not sure the other)were also dredged out of the spares pile, not sure which one I'll use yet. The gauge panel was cut from a '53 Stude dash, and the piston had its connecting rod removed and was drilled to fit the end of a needle.

Now, what's all this stuff going onto? Well, no idea. I'm thinking of some nutty 'truckster' rod, but I guess I'll just see where this path takes me...

Edited by Count Chuckula

One more update for the evening... don't you love fast-dry paints?

Here's the first test fit of the cab on the 'rolling chassis'. I'll have to play around with the stance a bit yet, but this is the basic look so far. I used the Orange Blossom kit's drag link, and some unknown plated hairpins. I'll cover up those big ugly slots in the backing plates with some scoops.

ratt007-vi.jpg

The weathering on this one was a pretty basic technique. In a nutshell, here's what I did-

I started off with a coat of Krylon Rust Tough "Ruddy Brown" primer, because it has a rust-like color. There are other, specific alternatives (such as the stuff from Floquil) that more closely resembles rust, but I usually go with the Krylon Ruddy Brown because it's readily available. I then sprayed over that with Krylon Olive Drab, and covered over that with the main color- Rustoleum Sage Green. Then I carefully wet-sanded the cab, to expose the layers of Olive drab and 'rust' beneath. I wasn't as concerned about burning thorough to bare plastic on this one as I'd normally be- the Orange Blossom kit's cab is molded in (wait for it...) orange plastic, if it were white or gray plastic, then you'd need to touch up the bare spots with rust-color brush paint. After I applied the Miller decals and BMF on the windsheild frame, I applied some Rustall which helped to 'tint' the Ruddy Brown primer and bare orange plastic. The cab was then hit with a light coat of Testors Dullcote.

This looks right on! Gonna weather the chassis?

Haven't really decided yet, Rob. I'm kind of starting to like the 'barn find body on a fresh chassis' look I've got going on. Of course, there will be some rust 'streaking' off the cab onto the chassis in spots, and perhaps a little bit of road grime, but I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll go all out on weathering the chassis. It is a VERY distinct possibility at this point, though!