Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 GTX "Street Freak"

Modlbldr

This one is going to look good when finished... Well, it looks good already. I like those tires, they are huge! And when it has raised suspension, the tires are going to look very good on this. Nice work with front axle system... Nice job with it so far, I'll keep watching this one. :angry:

Seeing this -- and any Street Freakreminds me of my childhood .

I grew-up none-too-far from the world famous Whittier Boulevard scene ( actually , right between the Muscle-type car portion of Whittier Bl [eastern-sections] and the Low Rider areas [western-areas] ), so I fortunate enough to see both types of customs ( loved 'em both ! ). I can still see those wild , mile-high Freaks , with their psychedelic paint jobs , Jimmy huffers , tunnel rams , fenderwell exit headers , Cragar S/S wheels , Black Sabbath blasting from the Craig 4-Track players ... ahhh ... the good ol' days !

If not for the blatantly contemporary AM/FM/MP3/FDIC/TGIF receiver in the dash , I'd easily assume that this was time-capsule find !! And that 8-track player under the dash with its Boston "Don't Look Back" tape peering-out is too much !!

Great job , btw , with your scale-version of this "Cop Stopper" !

Thanks for the great comments guys. It's keeping me going, although at a snails pace. Started a new job this last week so I'm still trying to figure out the schedule. I'm working nights.

Anywho- I got a chance Friday to do some work. I couldn't find a tunnel ram that looked anything like the one on the car, The closest I could find was the 1/24 scale one from the 70 Coronet.

DSCN4847.jpg

The one I had was already assembled from an older build. I tore it apart and cut about two blade widths out of the center between the two stacks. Then I glued it back together and shaved off the inlets because they were directed wrong.

DSCN4843.jpg

Next I filled the V section in the center so I could reshape it flat and began adding the inlets using sanded down rod.

DSCN4844.jpg

Eight inlets later and this is what I had.

DSCN4848.jpg

I also added some triangular bits on the ends as molding fins (Love the technical terms?) and began shaping them and the bottom flange.

DSCN4851.jpg

I also worked on cutting the hole in the hood. I think that it is where I need it.

DSCN4840.jpg

DSCN4841.jpg

Check out the old X-Acto packs a friend of mine gave me. I've never seen packs like these. Not sure how old they are. They are 5 packs.

DSCN4842.jpg

My next session will be cleaning up the tunnel ram, painting the engine block the proper Orange color and painting the hood.

Thanks for following along.

Later-

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I'm enjoying the work on this one, but as always, life keeps getting in the way. LOL. I got the engine block repainted the other night. Still trying to find the time to get out to the hobby room for an extended sit at the bench. Working nights with split days off (Tue/ Sat), working on the garden (gotta eat somehow), dentist office visits and many other chores. Doesn't leave much play time.

Later-

I'm building a replica of a 66 Belvedere straight axle drag car using the 67 GTX and I have a question regarding the K member. I can't see the front suspension well enough to tell if they kept the K member intact with the frame and added leaf springs and a straight axle ala 60's drag or whether they scrapped the entire k member and just attached leafs to the chassis with the straight axle. Would it be necessary to retain the k member for rigidity or would it even make sense?

If I have to keep it, I could just cut the spindles away from the molded in k member add a set of front leafs and the axle, no problem. Or, I throw it all back in he box and just go with the leafs and straight axle for the nose high look. What's your take on this????? Any help?

Later-

Sorry - I just found this thread.

If I remember correctly - many times drag racers that wanted to do the AWB/big engine set-back thing - would just hack off the stock frame rails from the firewall forward. Then fabricate frame rails out of 2x4 tubing with similarly fabricated cross-members and motor mounts and/or motor-plates.

Simple and lightweight - keep thinking weight transfer to the rear wheels. Traction!

Edited by seeker589

• 5 months later...

Well, it's been quite a while since I updated this but I've been working at it here and there between other projects.

Tonight I sat for a while and restarted the design of the rear suspension. The original that I had put together sat a hair too far forward and the axle was too wide causing the wheels to sit out too far AND.... the suspension wasn't tall enough, causing the rear tires to touch the wheel wells. All completely wrong. I had torn it all apart earlier this week.

I angled the rear shackles toward the rear a bit more, which gave me the move back I needed. Then I narrowed the rear axle about 3/16 inch causing the leaf springs to line up directly above the rear frame instead of outside of it and then glued crude blocks onto the frame for the front of the leaf springs to connect to. I still need to reattach all of the PE shackles.

Here is how it sits now. I still think that I need to lower the front a bit. This is just an extra GTX body I have for mock up. I already have some paint on the other one. The pictures are terrible, but it was a last minute photo shoot.

DSCN5091.jpg

DSCN5095.jpg

DSCN5097.jpg

More to come.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I have also been working on the interior. I used the seats from the Chevy Citation kit because they closely resembled the ones from the magazine article of the 1:1. I painted the interior Fabric Tan and body color and started the detailing of the dash. I also detail painted the taillight panel and the front grille.

The body also got a few coats of the Testors Mopar Bronze.

DSCN5108.jpg

DSCN5112.jpg

DSCN5113.jpg

DSCN5114.jpg

Still quite a ways to go but I just wanted to update this after such a long time away. Hope you all enjoy this and comments or criticisms always welcomed.

Later-

Great to see this one back! I like the interior, it looks like straight from the factory. :lol: And body color is very nice. Stance looks great, that front axle system is really nicely done. Nothing wrong with the rear end, can't wait to see more work with it. Keep going.

I'm doing this from an article in a mag on a 1:1 car. The car is a current build of the 70's style. I also have some older Hot Rod mags from the mid to late 70's that have quite a few Street Freaks in them. I just really liked the look of this particular car when I saw it in the Dec 2009 issue of "Drive" magazine.

Later-

• 4 weeks later...

We own that car!!!!!!!!!! A friend just sent us the link to your forum and we wanted you to know we are greatly flattered by your build. We also wanted to let you know if you have any questions or would like pictures of anything please do not hesitate to ask. We can't wait to see the finished product!! Oh yeah, the k member is still there. Here is a photo of the Plymouth with our next project a '70 Dart. Hope you enjoy!post-8875-0-99181900-1322026887_thumb.jp

Wow!! That just made my night. You can bet that I'll be hitting you up for some reference info. I loved your car from the first time I saw it in "Drive" magazine. As a matter of fact I found that issue on a table at a restaurant in Spokane and was looking through it as I ate. When I came across your car, I took the mag home with me with the intention of building a model of it. Unfortunately I don't get much time to build and I have many projects going, so it is slow, at best.

Nice Dart you have there too.

Later-

• 1 month later...

Tucker2000- Harvey-

I sent you a PM. If anyone knows him, please let him know to check his mail.

Work has gone slowly on this project. I had to rework the suspensions to get it to sit more correctly. I have it dialed in now. I have been working on getting the interior finished. I need to take a day soon and do some painting on all of the "fiddly bits".

I would post some pix, but some JERK broke into my house on Dec 6th and stole, among other things, my digi camera. I've got to figure out my daughter's old one now.

I'll post some progress soon. I promise!!

Later-