Model Cars Magazine Forum

Urgent Request: Model car machinists list? Can you help me?

I'd be grateful for your list of model car machinists. I want to approach each to ask for a donation to the Museum benefit auction that we conduct at each GSL.

Please give me the name and addy and snail mail address at your first convenience.

Many thanks for your help, my friends!

See you all at GSL!

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

Guest zebm1

Seems as tho, to me at least.....that Mercari is not exciting much response. I have a question for yall. Do yall think that maybe Mercari shuld post a few messages in tha room, before he can expect us to gratuitously acquiesce to his pleadings for donations?

After all, none of us can expect to continue in life where we were, if we only rest our futures on our past laurels, then don't we slowly turn into tha dust of tha past, don't yall think? I mean I have witnessed Mercari's equals in here, and they have enuff time in their lives to spend a few minutes of their lives in Gregg's room.

Just my opinion, I know that there are several excellent machinists who count themselves as club members who could do as Mercari asks, but in my opinion, he asks to much for so little......

next.....

Guest zebm1

Well Brian, how many here frequent Hobby Heaven's messag board, hey let's take a survey... just how many know who Mercari is and why? I have a goal, Fords forever.

I know I don't post too much here, though Gregg and I have been friends for decades. I find myself spread pretty thin with the Museum and GSL. Still, if you don't wish to assist, I can understand that. My reason for posting was to ask for help with machined donations for the Museum so that we can keep our doors open. I am not asking for anything that would benefit me. My only goal in posting the plea for help was to benefit the Museum.

I have a proposal: You come to GSL this year, and check out the Museum, and then you let me know how you would go about asking for help to keep the Museum's doors open. At that point, if you think that I've asked for too much, then we can talk.

My best wishes to you and everyone on this board.

Cordially,

Mark S. Gustavson

quote="zebm1"]Seems as tho, to me at least.....that Mercari is not exciting much response. I have a question for yall. Do yall think that maybe Mercari shuld post a few messages in tha room, before he can expect us to gratuitously acquiesce to his pleadings for donations?

After all, none of us can expect to continue in life where we were, if we only rest our futures on our past laurels, then don't we slowly turn into tha dust of tha past, don't yall think? I mean I have witnessed Mercari's equals in here, and they have enuff time in their lives to spend a few minutes of their lives in Gregg's room.

Just my opinion, I know that there are several excellent machinists who count themselves as club members who could do as Mercari asks, but in my opinion, he asks to much for so little......

next.....

Hey Lee:

Thanks for your note. How your version of the Dream Truck 2 coming along? You've done a great job with the model. My version is coming along really well.

Hope you're safe these days. Take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

Mark is alright in my book. I'd gladly offer to help, but he knows more machinists than I do.

Hi Brian:

Thanks for your note. Your beautiful custom Mercury is still in great shape and on display in the Museum (I hope my memory has served me well here).

I trust you are well.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

Mr. Gustavson is fairly well known from the HHMB board, so many of the people here are familiar with him, but may not have seen his post on HHMB. I don't see a problem with him posting the request...

If you've been in the hobby for a while, you know who Mark Gustavson is. "Mercari" is a car he built in Scale Auto Enthsiast around 1988. It's a "what if" idea on the premise that Ford bought Ferrari when it was put up for sale in the 1960s, and Mercury built a car with lots of input from Ferrari engineers and stylists. That was in the first magazine I ever bought about model cars. I was fascinated that someone could build something so complex...and stylish. It was a huge influence on me.

Mark also wrote the "Custom Clinic" articles for Car Modeler. He showed us how to chop, channel, section, use putty properly, paint with lacquers, hammer body panels from brass...I could go on... He ran a 2-year long how-to on a custom he called "The Modern Dream Truck". It was heavily influenced by Spencer Murray's original Dream Truck, but with Mark's ideas on what it would look like if built today (well, 1995 anyway). When it was finished, he critiqued his own work. He didn't "give himself a trophy". he was very harsh on his own work. He was not at all pleased with it so he took it apart to do all over again!

He ran the annual Custom Car Photo Contest for Car Modeler. He would show all the models that placed, along with constructive criticism. IMHO, he knows a heck of a lot about what is stylish and what is not.

He has a website about custom car models and full-size customs.

He has run the Great Salt Lakes Model Car Contest since its inception sometime in the early 1980s. I've never been able to attend, but magazine coverage of the big winners has inspired many of us to improve our work.

I'm a pretty big fan of Mark. I even followed along his Modern Dream Truck series with my own version. I started mine about the time the series wrapped up, so I had the benefit of having the whole series when I started. Mine was not intended to be an exact clone. he was very harsh in criticising his model. I agreed with some, but not all, of his criticism. You can see my version on his website. I couldn't get good photos on my own so I sent him my model, which he photographed along his own. I only wish Mark had more time to stop by and chat with us.

Guest zebm1

all i'm saying is that many us of us will never come as close to meeting you Mark than this room provided by a kindred soul...share sum of what yu are in here Mercari, mentor those that we need to come after us, magazines are so impersonal, is only a few minutes in life that means so much to so many.....and btw, I'm doing a 56 Ford to challenge yurs Mercari.

Zeb

Hey Lee:

Thanks for your note. How your version of the Dream Truck 2 coming along? You've done a great job with the model. My version is coming along really well.

Hope you're safe these days. Take care of yourself.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

Hey! Look who stopped by while I was writing! The Modern Dream Truck is still <ahem> "in progress". I built a few box-stock pre-war classics while in Afghanistan. I got back last year and didn't build anything for a good while. I'm finishing up a race car master for someone else. I've also got a couple of Duesenberg projects almost finished. When those are done, I'll get back to work on The Dream.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I got myself a Sherline lathe and mill. That will really help with some small parts. I also went nuts and got a South Bend 8x42 and Bridgeport 9x49 when I came home :shock: They're not set up yet, though.

Hey I really dig your squarebird. Hey! A square bird for a square guy! hehehe just kidding. :D

Hey Zeb:

Look, you make a good point. I'll do my best to check in from time to time. I'm always interested in sharing whatever I know when anyone interested.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

all i'm saying is that many us of us will never come as close to meeting you Mark than this room provided by a kindred soul...share sum of what yu are in here Mercari, mentor those that we need to come after us, magazines are so impersonal, is only a few minutes in life that means so much to so many.....and btw, I'm doing a 56 Ford to challenge yurs Mercari.

Zeb

Guest zebm1

My 1st issue of SAE has a 50s ferrari ina garage on tha cover, (bought ina LHS) large page format. What I hadn't adapted from my real "Cool World" I learned from others of my generation by following tha dreams, tha concept of SAE, that I had no conception of existing...then. I thought that only I and a few others still scratchbuilt with what we had on hand. What I saw in SAE, I took with me into tha world's of armour, areoplanes (1/72nd mobiles, period purrfect), and artwork, most of which has disappeared over tha years. I still have sum models, built in tha 70s, not cars...but detailed and weathered, perhaps I will show sum in rants or sum other thread, hey Gregg, do yu think yu could start a thread for our other styrene dreams?

This world, Gregg's world, is a brand new experience for me. And for this keyhole into a subculture that I have espoused all of mah life, I am almost eternally grateful......t'would be somewhat facetious of me to include tha dimension after life, but if I could, I would.

My purpose in my original posting in Mercari's thread was to elicit favorable response from Mr.G, but more importantly, to promote tha man's charitable request. I have found in my life that sometimes in controversy, much good follows. And in charity do we, in mah experience, set ourselves apart from those who would seek to control our lives. Screw them who set limits on our existences.

And I am still pissed off at Saddamn's nephew :evil: ....we meet face to face, I will show yu what tha southern version of a trip to tha woodshed really means. Screw with my right to speak, and I will teach what being American is all about!

Let me stew awhile, I'll git ovah it..... :?

Zeb

Hi Brian:

Thanks for your note. Your beautiful custom Mercury is still in great shape and on display in the Museum (I hope my memory has served me well here).

I trust you are well.

Cheers,

Mark S. Gustavson

Sorry Mark, musta been some other Brian. Now I wish I had build a custom Mercury...LOL!!

Guest zebm1

I have a favor to ask, if I may? I tried to send this [PM] yesterday, but as Mercari is a busy fellow and an infrequent visitor (by his own words). Could someone please forward e-mail the below to Mark S. Gustavson for me Please? It might be next month before my "respectful presents" reach his eyes.

To: Mercari

Posted: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 6:23 am

Subject: When is GSL?

Seems as tho yu have a lot of protectors mark, has become quite censorus whenever I begin to try to post any response to yu in tha forum.

I have always been amused and fascinated by yur sense of proportionality. I still am, but if I may ask a small question. Why isn't yur Mercari in yur website, as tha other fella pointed out -If you have followed, lived in and thru tha past of SAE and NNL's, yu'd know who is Mercari.

May I posit a small point, I think that there are many in Gregg's room that have nevah seen tha 80's decade of SAE, and read and re-read, I still do to remind me of tha nuggets of gold. I wonder how many know that yu started with a 1956 Ford? Amazing conceptualization of proportionality....simply amazing. Perhaps yu could post sum pictures of your Signature Model, on your website of even in here perhaps? :D

I know who yu are, from what I have read, and if time allows I will,hopefully, get to stand in tha same room with yu. But it is a veery long drive and tha older I get, tha more paraphenalia do I have to cart around, good thing i drive a p/u truck.

I am looking forward to learning more wisdom from yu Mark. Look for me, I'm front center, in tha Classroom's unspoken position of respect for the Teacher.

Henry E. (Zeb) Matson, Jr.

Thanks ahead of time to whomever grants me this Boon. :D

Henry E. (Zeb) Matson, Jr.

ps; I'm not a model machinist, and I live on a fixed income, but ifn you would allow, tell me how and where to send them (I can buy some of these other scale model machinist's work)...sos I can Donate to your worthy cause Mercari.